Gas usage for Leaf, Prius, Volt : Various scenarios

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Why I like the BEV+PHEV idea ...

gasusage.png

Just not Volt's implementation :roll:

evnow said:
Why I like the BEV+PHEV idea ...

Could you please use a darker green; I can't see it on this screen.

The table's also a bit hard to read; could you come up with some boiler plate, for instance why the family is choosing 1 car over the other for each scenario. I mean, it all makes sense when you think about it, and of course here you're preaching to the choir friend, but if you want to argue the very salient point to a non-believer, you're going to have to dumb it down a bit. :)

TimeHorse said:
The table's also a bit hard to read; could you come up with some boiler plate, for instance why the family is choosing 1 car over the other for each scenario. I mean, it all makes sense when you think about it, and of course here you're preaching to the choir friend, but if you want to argue the very salient point to a non-believer, you're going to have to dumb it down a bit. :)

Yes, I'll write a proper article on it for general consumption when I get a bit of time (actually, when I get less lazy) ...

How about this:

Yesterday I filled my Nissan Altima in San Diego. 18.5 gallons of regular gas cost $61 at 3.29/gallon. I had traveled 410 miles.

A LEAF will travel the same distance for roughly $12, based on Nissan's previously published $3/hundred mile figure. Many locations (including San Diego) will offer favorable rates to EV owners willing to charge their EV at night. This could significantly reduce the charging cost.

Assuming the above numbers, in five years I will have saved almost $6,000 in fuel costs vs. my current car (assuming constant gas prices and electricity rates and travelling 820 miles per month). With any favorable rate reduction, the savings could be greater still. With any increase in gasoline price the savings would be greater. With a greater monthly driving distance the savings will improve. When combined with the elimination of oil and filter changes, significant cost savings accrue to the LEAF buyer.

http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2011/01/ev-phev-cuts-gas-usage-by-over-90-with.html

I finally made that detailed post comparing the scenarios, this time for C-Max Energi.

gas-usage.png

LEAFguy said:
How about this:

Yesterday I filled my Nissan Altima in San Diego. 18.5 gallons of regular gas cost $61 at 3.29/gallon. I had traveled 410 miles.

A LEAF will travel the same distance for roughly $12, based on Nissan's previously published $3/hundred mile figure. Many locations (including San Diego) will offer favorable rates to EV owners willing to charge their EV at night. This could significantly reduce the charging cost.

Assuming the above numbers, in five years I will have saved almost $6,000 in fuel costs vs. my current car (assuming constant gas prices and electricity rates and travelling 820 miles per month). With any favorable rate reduction, the savings could be greater still. With any increase in gasoline price the savings would be greater. With a greater monthly driving distance the savings will improve. When combined with the elimination of oil and filter changes, significant cost savings accrue to the LEAF buyer.

Not to be a downer, but you need to add ~$25000 plus $ repairs to the Leaf cost, and $ repairs to the Altima cost.

When you look at hard numbers, it's always pretty hard to justify a new car based solely on $$ savings as you can repair a whole lot for the price of a new car. I did a whole savings analysis to justify to myself buying a Prius - but of course it was flawed because the existing car was still usable (but I bought the Prius!).

For me, it usually comes down to whether or not the current ride is reliable enough for my needs. It's tough to have your car break down constantly when you are traveling on business - even it is doesn't cost much to get it back on the road. An aggressive preventive maintenance plan can help this for many years, but eventually you're just driving a POC and regardless of whether it's costing $1000/yr or $10,000/yr to keep in on the road, it's time for a new ride. Everyone's decision point on that differs, and substantially. My '94 and my '97 still have years of value left in them, and combined won't cost for $25000 for many many many years.

LakeLeaf said:
LEAFguy said:
How about this:

Not to be a downer, but you need to add ~$25000 plus $ repairs to the Leaf cost, and $ repairs to the Altima cost.

When you look at hard numbers, it's always pretty hard to justify a new car based solely on $$ savings as you can repair a whole lot for the price of a new car. I did a whole savings analysis to justify to myself buying a Prius - but of course it was flawed because the existing car was still usable (but I bought the Prius!).

For me, it usually comes down to whether or not the current ride is reliable enough for my needs. It's tough to have your car break down constantly when you are traveling on business - even it is doesn't cost much to get it back on the road. An aggressive preventive maintenance plan can help this for many years, but eventually you're just driving a POC and regardless of whether it's costing $1000/yr or $10,000/yr to keep in on the road, it's time for a new ride. Everyone's decision point on that differs, and substantially. My '94 and my '97 still have years of value left in them, and combined won't cost for $25000 for many many many years.

But this argument holds true for buying any new car, if your existing ride is still serviceable. No new car will be cheaper than continuing to own a existing serviceable car. The point of the comparison is what new car to buy, after you have made the basic decision to buy a new car (for whatever reason).

(emphasis mine)
charlie1300 said:
LakeLeaf said:
When you look at hard numbers, it's always pretty hard to justify a new car based solely on $$ savings as you can repair a whole lot for the price of a new car.
But this argument holds true for buying any new car, if your existing ride is still serviceable. No new car will be cheaper than continuing to own a existing serviceable car. The point of the comparison is what new car to buy, after you have made the basic decision to buy a new car (for whatever reason).
Er... that's what LakeLeaf said :) And the person that LakeLeaf quoted was specifically talking about replacing an existing car with the Leaf, not comparing two new cars.

Back