GCC: With soaring sales of xEVs in California, rebates up 50% in 2018; workgroup to discuss impacts of program’s success

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/03/20190322-arb.html

California consumers are applying for clean-vehicle rebates at a record pace as demand for the cleanest vehicles on the market continued to grow over the past year. Electric vehicle rebates in California were 50% higher in 2018 than 2017.

Electric and plug-in hybrid electric cars are now 7.8% of all new car sales in California, and some areas such as Sacramento and San Luis Obispo counties nearly doubled their EV rebates over this past year.

• The state’s rebate program has proven to be a great success, and it is gratifying to see California’s vision for transforming to a zero-emissions fleet becoming a reality. As a result of this success, we are working with stakeholders on adjustments to the program. Our goal is to keep the sales momentum up and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to continue the exciting increase in the number of EVs on our roads and highways.

—California Air Resources Board Executive Officer Richard Corey. . . .

Since the program began in March 2010, the Center for Sustainable Energy, which administers the CARB program, has issued more than 277,000 rebates totaling $620 million for plug-in, electric and hydrogen fuel cell cars, and motorcycles.

I am not fluent in CARBese but this reads as 'we are running out of money but hope to get more.'

I would say that at 7.8% penetration it is inappropriate to INCREASE subsidies as the article says Sacramento and San Luis Obispo just did, but rather it makes sense to start reducing and/or eliminating them.

RegGuheert said:
I would say that at 7.8% penetration it is inappropriate to INCREASE subsidies as the article says Sacramento and San Luis Obispo just did, but rather it makes sense to start reducing and/or eliminating them.
What the article says is that the number of rebates, not their individual size, increased in those two counties. The CVRP rebates are the same state-wide, although some counties in the Central Valley and elsewhere offer additional rebates. The meeting presumably discussed whether or not to ask the legislature for more money (as has been done before) for the CY funding and/or for the 2019-2020 plan currently being developed, or else reduce the size of the rebates in order to extend the program with the current funding. See https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/rebate-funding-status

I could see reducing the standard statewide clean air rebate $200 to $500 each fiscal year until gone.

Actually as vehicle options open up I think it could be better to give rebates to multifamily residential or places of employment for L2 or L3 charging stations.
Cars could be nearly free but people will not have them unless there is a perception that there will be a place to charge.

This gives more support to the middle to lower income drivers. SFR charging is easy for the upper income.

smkettner said:
I could see reducing the standard statewide clean air rebate $200 to $500 each fiscal year until gone.

Actually as vehicle options open up I think it could be better to give rebates to multifamily residential or places of employment for L2 or L3 charging stations.
Cars could be nearly free but people will not have them unless there is a perception that there will be a place to charge.

This gives more support to the middle to lower income drivers. SFR charging is easy for the upper income.
I've been opining for them to cap both the buyer's income and the vehicle price to qualify for a rebate for years now, with both gradually reducing. They did add an income cap last year, although I think it's still far too high. OTOH, they also added an extra rebate for low-income buyers, which was a good step, and made it possible for them to get HOV stickers for used PEVs that had already had them expire, allowing lower-income buyers to also drive in the 'Tesla' (HOT) lanes. Not that I'm in favor of those.

Back