GCC: California ARB considering adopting Zero-Emission Airport Shuttle regulation; 100% ZEV by 2035

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/01/20190101-arb.html

The California Air Resources Board will conduct a public hearing 21 February to consider approving for adoption a proposed Zero-Emission Airport Shuttle regulation.

The regulation as currently written would require fixed route airport shuttles, that serve California’s 13 largest airports, to transition to 100% ZEVs by 2035. The Proposed Regulation would apply to public and private fleets, including operators of parking facilities, rental car agencies, and hotels.

For 2026 and later model years, heavy-duty ZEV airport shuttles will be required to certify to the proposed Enhanced Zero-Emission Powertrain Certification requirements.

The proposed In-Use Fleet composition requirements will require at least 33% of the fleet must be ZEVs by 31 December 2027; at least 66% of the fleet must be ZEVs by 31 December 2027 [Sic. 2031]; and 100% by 31 December 2035.

Currently, almost 1,000 public and private airport shuttles operate at the 13 largest airports. The shuttles comprise cans, cutaways and transit buses, and are owned either by local government agencies or by private businesses. The majority of airport shuttle currently use gasoline and compressed natural gas, although some use electric, propane and diesel.

CARB expects the proposed regulation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, relative to current conditions, by 500,000 metric tons of CO2e; NOx by 138 tons; and PM2.5 by 2.5 tons from 2020-2040. . . .
direct link to CARB notice: https://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2019/asb/notice.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

I'm in favor of EVs but this sounds like a fussy law that would provide only a narrow benefit. The kind of thing that gives CA haters ammunition.

Then again I tend to look askance at CARB ever since they charged me $300 for the privilege of bringing my identical-in-50-states vehicle to CA in 1992, because it didn't have the requisite "CA Sticker". The rule was later overturned as unconstitutional, and the refund plus interest funded the kitchen countertops after we'd bought our home. Also their role in "killing the electric car" doesn't sit well.

I actually agree with this rule. Most airport shuttles only go a very short distance, often to an off-site rental car facility or remote parking lot a few miles away. And because travelers don't want to wait long, especially for the rental car shuttles there is frequent service even if there aren't many passengers. The only airports I've been to where the shuttles are fairly packed are ones with centralized off-airport rental facilities using a common bus fleet, such as McCarran Airport in Las Vegas.

I can't tell you how many times while waiting for my FlyAway bus at LAX I see empty/near empty shuttle buses making the circuit around the airport.

Back