NYT: Something New May Be Rising Off California Coast: Wind Farms

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Good to know. Wind was never really my thing, I was more into PV and the occasional micro-hydro system as they suited most of our customers better and installation was generally a lot easier, so I haven't followed wind developments as closely as other areas. This was the first I'd heard about floating off-shore wind. I was surprised by the claim in the article that costs should be similar to fixed platforms. I do have to wonder about reliability, though - I don't know how much such platforms move, but I'd think that would add considerably to uneven forces on the blades and hubs, not to mention the possible un-tethering of a platform (I'd hope they'd be designed to sink if that happens), and offshore wind is already operating in a very corrosive environment.

As for timing, this is California. You know as well as I that everyone can and most of them will stick their oar in before a major project gets approved, let alone completed. ;) Not complaining about all the governmental, environmental, business, Nimby and other groups that will have some complaint or other, just saying.

Back