Scientists debate: could renewable energy entirely replace fossil fuels in U.S. by 2050?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111183_scientists-debate-could-renewable-energy-entirely-replace-fossil-fuels-in-u-s-by-2050

Scientists generally debate their studies and projections in relatively civil language, but perhaps the currently adversarial tenor of U.S. politics has spilled over into science.

A 2015 study on the potential for renewable energy use in the U.S. has now produced not only a stringent attack, but a harsh rebuttal to that attack in language rarely seen among academics.

The debate erupted in the pages of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. . . .

Given that there are people out there who are living completely off-grid, the answer is YES. The question is, how flexible are energy consumers willing to be? Unless consumption is financially tied to availability, then it will be difficult to achieve. For instance, for vehicle charging, it would require employers to have charging stations for all employees so that charging will happen during peak solar. I don't see that happening with most employers, however. I don't even get free parking.

The transition to renewable energy WILL happen, it's just a matter of at what speed. We will run out of coal eventually, so the earlier we do it, the better.

Back