Hawaii, utility offer $10,000 Nissan Leaf rebate; hope for carbon-free transport

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108597_hawaii-utility-offer-10000-electric-car-rebates-hope-for-carbon-free-transport

. . . Those rebates will be available through March from the Kaua'i Island Utility Cooperative and the Hawaiian Electric Co. They are a small initial step toward a recently-announced goal of entirely carbon-free transportation, with all ground vehicles running on renewable energy by 2045. Hawaii already has a goal for utilities to generate 100 percent of electricity from renewable sources by that year, according to CBS News, and is now considering how to extend that provision to transportation. . . .

I like the idea of getting people to consider an all electric car but the rebate is really too much for one owner. In addition the car will not make it past 2025 let alone 2045. After owning a Leaf in Northern California / Sacramento climate I can't imagine the battery holding up in Hawaii.

I don't see the utility company ever recouping the cost from electricity use. It also doesn't promote other electric cars with active battery thermal management systems, only the Leaf.

Back