63% of All Housing Units In U.S. Have a Garage, Could Install EV Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/63-of-all-housing-units-in-u-s-have-a-garage-or-carport-and-can-install-evse/

There are charts. As noted in the article, the ratio falls to 37% when considering only renters, vs. 78% for owners.

GRA said:
Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/63-of-all-housing-units-in-u-s-have-a-garage-or-carport-and-can-install-evse/

There are charts. As noted in the article, the ratio falls to 37% when considering only renters, vs. 78% for owners.
And that 63% number is rising, as evidenced by the fact that new construction has a higher percentage than older construction. Frankly, this percentage is higher than I had imagined.

As I have said many times in the past, the market for BEVs is massive. If Chevy insists on making the Bolt a compliance car, then who will actually ship their second-generation EV in high volume?

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:

And that 63% number is rising, as evidenced by the fact that new construction has a higher percentage than older construction. Frankly, this percentage is higher than I had imagined.

As I have said many times in the past, the market for BEVs is massive. If Chevy insists on making the Bolt a compliance car, then who will actually ship their second-generation EV in high volume?

Tesla plans to. Hopefully Nissan as well.
GM will also be positioned to ramp up sales once they see Nissan & Tesla moving so many units.

Our old house didn't have a garage, but it had an integrated carport. I don't know if they take that into account. (We have a carport at our new house as well, but it's a metal one.) Even so, there's no reason an all-weather EVSE can't be installed, like the ones from Clipper Creek.

Zythryn said:
Tesla plans to. Hopefully Nissan as well.
GM will also be positioned to ramp up sales once they see Nissan & Tesla moving so many units.
Here's hoping!

What's funny is that neither Nissan nor GM need Tesla's permission to go ahead with selling their second-generation EVs. GM is currently in the enviable position to own a significant portion of this gigantic market by being an early mover. So what is holding them back? A couple of guesses:

1) Procurement cost of the battery. Perhaps they want to slowly ramp up sales to minimize project losses.
2) Availability of the batteries. Perhaps it simply takes a long time to ramp up battery production so they want to ensure they are covering their compliance needs first.
3) Corporate inertia. Perhaps the EV groups want to go "full steam ahead," but headquarters don't see things quite the same way.
4) Perhaps GM sees no need to move before Tesla releases their product. IMO, that would be incredibly stupid!
5) Something else?

Likely it is a combination of factors. Still, I had high hopes for Chevy's new product.

Over a year's period, the cost of the battery for the Bolt will decrease between $500 and $1000 based on lithium battery costs dropping at a rate of 5-10% depending on who you ask. They can have the car out now, get the halo effect, and eat a couple of grand on the front end while recouping on ZEV and CAFE compliance on the back end. Maybe they can prevent some Tesla fanboys from being born, as people tend to protect a brand while owning it, in order to safe face, even if they do a 180* after trading it for something new.

I've not worked for GM directly, but a subsidiary, and GM is very... segmented. While some segments may support EVs, there are groups within GM that want nothing more than to see all BEVs die. Remember, you have a lot of engineers, managers, etc, who all have their paycheck riding on ICE vehicles. These people are the types who are only concerned with their well being, and not the well being of the company.

Lastly, GM won't push BEV tech until they can make a substantial profit on it. Right now their profit comes from gas guzzling SUVs and trucks, so that's what they push. The only reason GM sells cars these days, especially small fuel efficient cars, is to keep their CAFE compliance in check. It was common for GM to take a $1,000 to $2,000 loss on fuel efficient vehicles just to sell enough to keep the CAFE numbers high enough to keep selling the SUVs. (Instead of investing the $$ to make those SUVs more efficient. A serial hybrid SUV could easily get the numbers they need, but because of the segmenting, the managers in charge of the SUV programs won't do that unless they're forced by the upper executive board.)

GM is the example of what happens when you have a bunch of divisions just trying to save their own hindquarters instead of having a company that's driven by vision. (Think Apple with Jobs, and Tesla with Musk.) It's truly amazing what a company can accomplish when they have leadership with a goal and purpose.

I too was surprised at how high the numbers are. Then I noticed that the Northeast has the lowest numbers of any region, and it made a little more sense. I was misled by locality-bias. Living in the Northeast, I see many people with housing without garages or carports. Yet even here, it is obvious that the number of people who *can* charge at home far exceeds the number of people who do (i.e. Plug-in sales rates).

I agree that the market seems huge at this point. The more I think about it, the more I believe it is held back more by the lack of quick chargers than the lack of access to home/work charging. Many people already have the latter. An EV would work great as a local / commuter car. But they don't buy them because they cannot take them on the occasional trip.

Obviously, there are examples to the contrary. GRA is a great example of that.

Now that Nissan has failed in its LEAF experiment as a high volume, for profit vehicle, Tesla is the only company left with an msrp > the marginal production cost. Every other company sells EVs as compliance cars for ZEV credits, and no more.

How far are the non Teslas of the world away from making money on an EV ? For 1, Tesla has a ~ 30% advantage in battery costs due to the Gigafactory. 2, Tesla has in-house vertical manufacturing of the inverter and motor.

Tesla has said that their profit margin on the base Model 3 is about 8-10%, so something over $3000. GM et al will have to wait until 3rd party manufacturers of components drop in price commensurate with the advantages Tesla holds. That will take volume, and volume will require a robust, fast charging network.

I'm not sure what your post has to do with the number of US houses with garages. It seems entirely off-topic.

SageBrush said:
Now that Nissan has failed in its LEAF experiment as a high volume, for profit vehicle, Tesla is the only company left with an msrp > the marginal production cost. Every other company sells EVs as compliance cars for ZEV credits, and no more.

That is quite the proclamation with zero facts to back it up. And you say this as GM is ramping up its nationwide distribution of the Bolt.

Please provide some evidence that "Tesla is the only company left with an msrp > the marginal production cost" for us who don't see it being so obvious that this goes without saying.

SageBrush said:
How far are the non Teslas of the world away from making money on an EV ? For 1, Tesla has a ~ 30% advantage in battery costs due to the Gigafactory. 2, Tesla has in-house vertical manufacturing of the inverter and motor.

Tesla has said that their profit margin on the base Model 3 is about 8-10%, so something over $3000. GM et al will have to wait until 3rd party manufacturers of components drop in price commensurate with the advantages Tesla holds. That will take volume, and volume will require a robust, fast charging network.

Interesting theory.

Durandal said:
Our old house didn't have a garage, but it had an integrated carport. I don't know if they take that into account. (We have a carport at our new house as well, but it's a metal one.) Even so, there's no reason an all-weather EVSE can't be installed, like the ones from Clipper Creek.
The stat includes garages and carports. I've personally seen very few carports, which are more common at apartment complexes, with power other than some with lighting - receptacles are notable by their absence. Virtually zero renters are going to pay to install a circuit/EVSE, and barring legislation requiring or incentivizing it, very few property owners of existing rental properties will either. It will have to be done through legislation on new construction, and that's going to take a few decades to have a significant effect.

GRA said:
The stat includes garages and carports. I've personally seen very few carports, which are more common at apartment complexes, with power other than some with lighting - receptacles are notable by their absence. Virtually zero renters are going to pay to install a circuit/EVSE, and barring legislation requiring or incentivizing it, very few property owners of existing rental properties will either. It will have to be done through legislation on new construction, and that's going to take a few decades to have a significant effect.

I can only speak from personal experience and the experiences related to me by others, but depending on the landlord, they may be amenable to at least putting in a 240v outlet. I've rented in locations where the landlords were quite helpful, as spending $400-500 on installing a 240v outlet is cheaper than finding a new renter. In my case, at one location it did not have washer/dryer hookups, my landlord agreed to do so, but warned that my rent would go up $50/mo. It was worth it to me, and the landlord now has a more valuable rental property. Some landlords are not as easy to work with, admittedly, it all depends, but I had good luck during the 7 or so years of my life that I rented at various properties. (Back to being a home owner, thankfully.)

Back