So did Fiat Chrysler cheat as well?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2017/01/12/epa-fiat-chrysler-used-software-to-cheat-on-emissions-tests/

The Environmental Protection Agency accused Fiat Chrysler Thursday of using software that enabled some of its diesel trucks to cheat on emissions tests. The company denied those accusations, saying its software meets regulatory requirements.

(edit fixed title)

No they are just incompetent and the EPA is on a witch hunt

Chrysler will go out of business organically without help from the EPA

Germany has done thorough tests of every make and model of car sold in that country, diesel or gasoline, and found that every car exceeds emissions limitations in real world driving.
As the previous poster said, the EPA is on a witch hunt.

so you all have keen insight in how this went down? all the internal memos and testing equipment and results and...you know...evidence? CREDIBLE evidence?

whew. good. i thought for a minute there that the EPA was not doing it's job of protecting humans from pollution and pulling a fast one. glad to know we check the science and do the math.

things that make you go hmmmm.

Why Fiat Chrysler's Diesel ‘Cheating’ Might Not Be Anywhere Near As Bad As Volkswagen's:
http://jalopnik.com/why-fiat-chryslers-diesel-cheating-might-not-be-anywh-1791135595

Has some interesting info.

VW makes a fine diesel car. In my mind, the EPA is as culpable as VW, setting emission limits at an unobtainable level for passenger cars, while letting light duty pickup trucks, most of which are used as passenger cars, spew horrible amounts of soot and other pollutants into the air. If it had been an American company caught doing this, they would have gotten a slap on the wrist.

I certainly agree that emissions related to light and heavy duty trucks needs to be reduced substantially. I shouldn't be greeted with a cloud of black smoke when a diesel truck accelerates from a standstill.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Chrysler was stupid and inept. nowhere near similar
How is that not an interpretation ?
In any case I seem to remember from grade school that ignorance is not a defense.

VW caught huge finds because they pissed off the US authorities by continuing to lie and BS after the cheats were uncovered. Will FCA try that strategy too ?

craig said:
Germany has done thorough tests of every make and model of car sold in that country, diesel or gasoline, and found that every car exceeds emissions limitations in real world driving.
Source?
craig said:
In my mind, the EPA is as culpable as VW, setting emission limits at an unobtainable level for passenger cars, while letting light duty pickup trucks, most of which are used as passenger cars, spew horrible amounts of soot and other pollutants into the air
Source? Your claims sound entirely false, esp. the statement regarding passenger cars. I've not seen anything to support your statement esp. regarding gasoline powered cars, specifically on the various pollutants vs. the EPA pollution/smog score for which they're each certified for.

Durandal said:
I certainly agree that emissions related to light and heavy duty trucks needs to be reduced substantially. I shouldn't be greeted with a cloud of black smoke when a diesel truck accelerates from a standstill.
That's rollin coal. Totally illegal, and totally unprosecuted.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
In any case I seem to remember from grade school that ignorance is not a defense.

VW caught huge finds because they pissed off the US authorities by continuing to lie and BS after the cheats were uncovered. Will FCA try that strategy too ?

not defending chrsyler. but they are simply not on the same level as VW who outright cheated knowing full well what they were doing.

craig said:
As the previous poster said, the EPA is on a witch hunt.

complete BS. many diesels passed the test and yes, they got much lower MPGs than VW ...

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

not defending chrsyler. but they are simply not on the same level as VW who outright cheated knowing full well what they were doing.
I read that the EPA found 8 cheat devices in the cars. Moreover, FCA did not on their own accord come to the EPA to acknowledge the problems -- they waited until they were caught even though the events at VW must have been loud and clear to them.

Sorry, but innocent mistakes is looking like a really poor defense.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

I read that the EPA found 8 cheat devices in the cars. Moreover, FCA did not on their own accord come to the EPA to acknowledge the problems -- they waited until they were caught even though the events at VW must have been loud and clear to them.

Sorry, but innocent mistakes is looking like a really poor defense.

ok I can go with that. the article I read (which didn't earn a grain) only stated the EPA discovered devices not reported by chrysler. I fully expect it to get worse, not better.

Back