ICCT analysis of California top EV cities finds link between EV uptake and many underlying factors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09/20160912-icct.html

A detailed, city-level multivariate regression analysis of EV penetration in California has found a link between electric vehicle uptake and many underlying factors. A team at the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) found that electric vehicle model availability; public electric vehicle charging network; local promotion activities for electric vehicles (e.g., outreach events, informational websites; electric car sharing services; and government and fleet programs) and median income in each city to be correlated significantly with new electric vehicle sales share. They cautioned that causality could not be determined within the analysis.

The team drilled into the activities of the 30 California cities with the highest rates of electric vehicle penetration, examining how local organizations—regional and city governments, utilities, businesses, and nonprofits are promoting electric vehicles through a wide array of activities. In these 30 cities, electric vehicles account for 6% to 18% share of new vehicle sales—this is 8 to 25 times that of the US average in 2015. These vehicle markets range greatly in size, from hundreds of electric vehicle sales up to approximately 4,000 (San Jose). . . .

Based on this analysis, we make three conclusions about the development of the electric
vehicle market in California –

• Comprehensive policy support is helping support the electric vehicle market
    . . . .

Local promotion activities are encouraging the electric vehicle market
    . . . .

The electric vehicle market grows with its charging infrastructure. The 30 California cities with the highest electric vehicle uptake have, on average, 5 times the public charging infrastructure per capita than the US average. In addition, workplace charging availability in the San Jose metropolitan area is far higher than elsewhere. Increasingly, major public electric power utilities and workplaces are expanding the public charging network to further address consumer confidence and convenience. . . .
The article includes charts. The direct link to the study (1.14 Mb) is here: http://www.theicct.org/ev-markets-calif-cities-sept2016

Neat posting. Thanks!

I'm guessing San Jose is the one with the 18% penetration? I'm guessing income level, tech savvy population and Tesla's presence have a few things to do with that.

DarthPuppy said:
Neat posting. Thanks!

I'm guessing San Jose is the one with the 18% penetration? I'm guessing income level, tech savvy population and Tesla's presence have a few things to do with that.
Saratoga, actually, a higher income Silicon Valley suburb. Other cities that exceed San Jose are almost all high income Silicon Valley suburbs: Los Altos, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Fremont, Campbell, Mountain View etc. Per the chart, San Jose's down about 8%: http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01bb09355f28970d-popup

LOL - Since I'm So. Cal, I'm not hip to the San Jose suburbs. I just generically lumped the Silicon Valley region as San Jose.

Are all of those suburbs actual cities?

DarthPuppy said:
LOL - Since I'm So. Cal, I'm not hip to the San Jose suburbs. I just generically lumped the Silicon Valley region as San Jose.

It's Silicon Valley we're talking about. Think virtual cities. ;)

Nubo said:
DarthPuppy said:

It's Silicon Valley we're talking about. Think virtual cities. ;)
They exist on a waft of air that smells like money :D For Palo Alto/Menlo Park read Stanford, which some consider the northwestern limit of Silicon Valley on the Peninsula (others might move the line up to Redwood City). In the East Bay Fremont serves the same purpose, especially now that Tesla's there. And yes, they are all cities.

Becky50 said:
Yes, they are all chartered cities or towns. They are not suburbs of San Jose.
The census bureau begs to differ :D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose-San_Francisco-Oakland,_CA_Combined_Statistical_Area See the entry under "San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara Metropolitan Statistical Area", although to be strictly accurate, those cities in San Mateo (like Menlo Park) or Alameda counties (Fremont) aren't included in it.

Interesting link. I learned what a Combined Statistical Area is and understand why the different counties are linked the way they are. I still stand by my answer as to whether places like Campbell, Los Gatos, And Mountain View are cities and not just parts of the City of San Jose.

Okay, so it is not like L.A. where the Palisades, Brentwood, Northridge, Woodland Hills, etc. are all just areas of LA City and subject to that jurisdiction. I guess they are more like Santa Monica which has its own government, police and fire and its own policies towards EV incentives.

I've never understood why some areas like Santa Monica or Burbank are their own cities but surrounding areas are just part of the LA City.

DarthPuppy said:
I've never understood why some areas like Santa Monica or Burbank are their own cities but surrounding areas are just part of the LA City.
Buried in the history of the growth of the area.
Some are just designations of parts of the city, some are unincorporated cities (which did not develop into full blown incorporated city or chose not to), and full blown incorporated cities (many developed to avoid annexation by the large city or unfortunately in some cases to maintain segregation).

Back