California to award $23.6M for zero-emission drayage trucks at seaports; BYD, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC:
California to award $23.6M for zero-emission drayage trucks at seaports; BYD, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160505-zevtrucks.html

The State of California is awarding $23.6 million to the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) for a statewide zero-emission drayage truck development and demonstration project. This is the first large-scale demonstration of zero-emission Class 8 trucks that involves major manufacturers, including BYD, Kenworth, Peterbilt (both Paccar companies) and Volvo. . . .

The South Coast air district is teaming up with air districts in the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego and San Joaquin Valley to make the project a statewide demonstration of 43 zero-emission battery electric and plug-in hybrid drayage trucks built by the four manufacturers serving major California ports. Demonstration trucks and charging infrastructure will be used in all five air districts, providing emission reduction benefits in key areas of California with drayage truck activity. . . .

I guess they've decided to make another crack at this since Vision Motor Corporation disappeared and their Tyrano truck with them. That's probably why they said the following:
Green Car Congress said:
The companies receiving funds have the engineering resources, manufacturing capabilities and distribution networks to support commercialization of advanced technologies related to moving freight to and from the ports.
The teams involved with this effort include the following:
Green Car Congress said:
The proposal will support the development of three different zero emission truck propulsion configurations. Full battery-electric trucks will be developed by BYD and a team consisting of Peterbilt and California start-up TransPower. Volvo will be deploying a plug-in hybrid electric diesel truck under the Mack brand. A fourth team, involving both Peterbilt and Kenworth, partnered with BAE Systems, will be deploying a truck that uses a natural gas engine to recharge the batteries and provide the capability to operate in zero emission mode.
It's interesting the the only manufacturer which is not teaming with a partner for the electric drive is the Chinese company BYD. They clearly have a lead in this area given their success with BEV buses. Peterbilt is working with a California startup for their BEV solution. I wonder if TransPower is really Vision Motor Corporation brought back from the dead. It's not clear from their website. Peterbilt and Kenworth are also separately teaming with a defense contractor (BAE) in a effort to built a CNG/battery electric hybrid. Finally, Volvo and Mack are working on a diesel/battery electric hybrid.

A couple of thoughts here:

- Vision Motors previously built a hydrogen fuel cell/battery-electric plug-in hybrid. I, along with many others here, view hydrogen as a possible viable solution for fleet operations including heavy trucking. So I'm wondering why hydrogen is completely excluded from these efforts. I'll note that TransPower has hydrogen solutions available.
- I wonder why the other US truck manufacturers are not represented in this effort: International, Freightliner and Western Star. I find it particularly interesting that International is excluded since the BEV trucks previously built by TransPower were conversions from International's ProStar line of trucks.

RegGuheert said:
<snip> It's interesting the the only manufacturer which is not teaming with a partner for the electric drive is the Chinese company BYD. They clearly have a lead in this area given their success with BEV buses. Peterbilt is working with a California startup for their BEV solution. I wonder if TransPower is really Vision Motor Corporation brought back from the dead. It's not clear from their website. Peterbilt and Kenworth are also separately teaming with a defense contractor (BAE) in a effort to built a CNG/battery electric hybrid. Finally, Volvo and Mack are working on a diesel/battery electric hybrid.

A couple of thoughts here:

- Vision Motors previously built a hydrogen fuel cell/battery-electric plug-in hybrid. I, along with many others here, view hydrogen as a possible viable solution for fleet operations including heavy trucking. So I'm wondering why hydrogen is completely excluded from these efforts. I'll note that TransPower has hydrogen solutions available.
- I wonder why the other US truck manufacturers are not represented in this effort: International, Freightliner and Western Star. I find it particularly interesting that International is excluded since the BEV trucks previously built by TransPower were conversions from International's ProStar line of trucks.
I too wondered why there was no FCEV or PHFCEV included in the mix. BEV tractors will likely be limited to use as yard goats (hostling), local P&D and shuttling between container yards and rail ramps - the combination of relatively short range and relatively long 'refueling' times doesn't match up well with over-the-road hauling. However, since local air pollution is most highly concentrated around ports and industrial areas plus urban areas, there's certainly a benefit to using them for that. although I suspect that medium duty BEVs (Mail/parcel delivery etc. panel trucks) will be the area where BEV trucks really take over, maybe assisted by PHEVs/PHFCEVs for the longer/colder/mountainous routes.

Edit: Just saw this at GCC:
Loop Energy collaborates with CRRC to develop fuel cell electric drive systems for heavy-duty trucks
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160506-loop.html

Canada-based Loop Energy (earlier post) has entered a collaboration agreement with Hunan CRRC Times Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd. (a subsidiary of CRRC Corporation Ltd.) to develop zero-emission power systems for heavy-duty transportation applications.

The power system to be developed for the initial project will combine Loop’s fuel cell technologies with CRRC’s leading electric drive train system to provide a better performing solution for heavy-duty trucks in comparison to traditional diesel engines. . . .
Maybe they'll give BYD some FCEV competition, at least in China.

A related story:
California to award $9M for 27 BYD zero-emission trucks at two rail yards, one freight transfer yard in Southern California
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160610-cci.html

The two types of trucks funded by this grant are the most common at every major freight location in the US, providing a model for truck electrification that could be scaled to any facility. The project will demonstrate 23 battery-electric 80,000-pound (GVWR) Class 8 yard trucks, also known as “yard goats,” which are used to move heavy freight containers short distances within freight yards, warehouses, distribution centers and port terminals.

The project also demonstrates four 16,100-pound (GVWR) Class 5 medium-duty service trucks. BNSF Railway will operate the trucks at two of its intermodal rail yards in the cities of San Bernardino and Commerce; Daylight Transport will also operate the trucks at its new truck freight transfer facility in Fontana. . . .

Over the two-year duration of the demonstration project, the full complement of the zero-emission trucks will result in overall reductions of 3,500 tons of carbon dioxide, 3,250 pounds of nitrogen oxide and 170 pounds of diesel soot (PM10). . . .
So, yard goats as expected, plus 'service trucks', which I'm not entirely clear on. I'm guessing they're for maintenance and carry tools/spares.

Back