EV vs ICE analysis

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydnas7

626c2ca.png

an old spreadsheet of mine updated with LGs $145/kWh price
nb cell cost is broken down to power and energy, so higher power cells cost more.

ICE AWD
ICE (is similar to Malibu CamCordTima)
idle stop (Malibu CamCordTima with idle stop)
Micro Hybrid (Malibu CamCordTima and 12 Volt torque assist)
HEV (Sonata / Kia type P2 hybrid)
PHEV FWD is similar to Mitsubishi 3cyl XR-PHEV II
PHEV AWD is the Mits Outlander PHEV
PHEV FWD 120 is similar to Mitsubishi 3cyl XR-PHEV II with battery ratio based upon Outlander PHEV to iMiev battery, but extrapolated to eX battery.
BEV 80 LEAF/equivalents
REX 80 BMW i3 REX
BEV 150 early LEAF 2 guess, match Mits eX
BEV 200 was early Infiniti/Tesla M3 guess

comments

I think you # are off. The big savings for a EV in a fleet is maintenance. with no oil change, tune ups, check engine lights, transmission, and other to replace. a lot of fleets don't drive a lot of miles, and the cost savings are large. In a lot of short range fleets MPG of 6 mpg in a pick up are common.

Thanks Speedski,
That may be the case for fleets, particularly higher mileage, high mileage users are important from a fuel consumption point of view, but generally not from a vehicle manufacturers point of view.

Here are 2 example of 48kWh EVs on sale now
http://www.bydauto.com.cn/car-360-qinev300.html
http://www.bydauto.com.cn/car-param-e5.html
00219b8247171868124503.jpg

Maybe it's because I'm an engineer (of sorts) but that girl is blocking the view of the center console which I'd much rather be looking at. When I'm interested in looking at a car, I don't need a cute girl hanging around to get in the way. Who are the girls there for anyway?
To make you think they like men that like cars?
or
that the the car isn't sexy enough?
or
that you are going to be checking out the girls anyway, this way you can pretend that you are "looking at cars" when you are really checking out the girls.. I don't know.

I love seeing a pretty girl but get out of the way woman, I'd like to see the car.

Here is my analysis:

EV drives sweet and smooth with gobs of effortless power.

ICE drives like a bucket of bolts and the power is weak and responds poorly.

Why discuss money?

smkettner said:
...Why discuss money?
why not? automakers exist to make a profit. It strongly affects their ability to develop new technology

consider Europe March 2016 http://ev-sales.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/europe-march-2016.html
top 5 plugin vehicle

1 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 3,661
2 Nissan Leaf 3,542
3 Renault Zoe 2,768
4 Tesla Model S 2,189
5 Volkswagen Golf GTE 1,574

first note,
is that there is no CCS vehicles is Europe in top 5, but Chademo has position 1 & 2 & 1/2 of 4

2nd note
PHEV AWD (mits Outlander PHEV) is the most popular EU plugin vehicle, an makes a serious percentage of its automakers sales in EU (particularly by $$$$)
2 x 80 mile BEVs are also more popular than Tesla, signifying price sensitivity and range insensitively of Europeans.
a 200mile EV (Tesla) is no.4, consumers want no compromise and are willing to pay for it.
5 VW Golf GTE (a FWD PHEV, outsells e-golf by 2 to 1), show that freedom from both range and charging anxiety is still key to European drivers, all else being equal.

Back