CMU county-level study shows plug-ins have larger or smaller lifecycle GHG than gasoline ICE depending on regional facto

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC:
CMU county-level study shows plug-ins have larger or smaller lifecycle GHG than gasoline ICE depending on regional factors
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160409-michalek.html

. . . The team from Carnegie Mellon University led by Dr. Jeremy Michalek accounted for regional differences in emissions due to marginal grid mix; ambient temperature; patterns of vehicle miles traveled (VMT); and driving conditions (city versus highway). . . .

http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01b7c8307daa970b-popup

Sorry, I'm just not buying it at all.

If a power company chooses to burn fossil fuel rather than upgrade to clean renewable sources, the GHGs are entirely on the power company, not the BEV drivers. It's their emission and their emission alone. The BEV drivers are being good citizens and so should they.

As usual, for the ICE it only takes in to account the burning of that gallon of fuel in the ice, not drilling for it, pumping it out, moving it, refining it, pumping it again, delivered via another ICE to a gas station, then pumping it finally in to your vehicle. I wish I could remember where I read it, but if I recall correctly, to get a gallon of gasoline to the average car in the use consumes over 1 kWh of electricity, right there alone throws everything out the window...

If they want to compare them, then include everything, don't pick and choose depending on the vehicle on the road.

Drives me nuts...

BrockWI said:
As usual, for the ICE it only takes in to account the burning of that gallon of fuel in the ice, not drilling for it, pumping it out, moving it, refining it, pumping it again, delivered via another ICE to a gas station, then pumping it finally in to your vehicle. I wish I could remember where I read it, but if I recall correctly, to get a gallon of gasoline to the average car in the use consumes over 1 kWh of electricity, right there alone throws everything out the window...

If they want to compare them, then include everything, don't pick and choose depending on the vehicle on the road.

Drives me nuts...
From the GCC article:

They then derived estimated life cycle CO2 emissions for each vehicle type and location by adding vehicle and battery manufacturing emissions, gasoline combustion and upstream emissions (based on computed gasoline consumption), and electricity production and upstream emissions (based on computed electricity consumption, timing, and location).

From the report itself, listing all the factors taken into account (I've left out the others):

• Gasoline production and transportation 2400 gCO2 gal-1 gasoline Average of values from Venkatesh et al (201) [37] and GREET (2013) [35]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CRoyrs5rQ

BTW, sorry about the munged-up link to the GCC article. I've corrected it in the original post.

Back