Tesla's impact on German luxury automakers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

It seems clear that if Tesla has been stealing market share from anyone, it is the German luxury automakers. There has been a bit of press on this recently:

WSJ: How Tesla Leaves Its Rivals Playing Catch Up
WSJ said:
More rigorous emission testing will only hasten the inevitable. The future has a plug. Everybody sees it.

Yet the company furthest down the road of the European vision is American.

Green Car Reports: Germans Vs Tesla in High-End Electric Cars: Will Fast Charging Follow in Time
John Voelcher said:
And once they tested the Model S, and realized that it delivered on the promise of a good-looking, smooth, fast sedan that happened to run entirely on electricity, those three makers set about figuring out what to do about it.
I'm sure this is not the end of the story. Tesla now has two products aimed directly at this market, so the pressure on the German automakers is now even higher.

The pressure isn't exclusive to German automakers either. The "Big Three" can't seem to make a compelling electric car either. In fact, it seems that no one but Tesla can. I'm certain this will change in the near future but Tesla has such a huge lead on everyone else, they're going to be playing catch-up for quite some time.

RegGuheert said:
It seems clear that if Tesla has been stealing market share from anyone, it is the German luxury automakers. There has been a bit of press on this recently:

WSJ said:
More rigorous emission testing will only hasten the inevitable. The future has a plug. Everybody sees it.

<snip>
Dan Neil's always a good read, and usually spot on.

OT: His previous week's review was of the Subaru Forester, titled

"Subaru Forester: Choosing Function Over Form
It isn’t pretty and doesn’t win many style points, but just beneath the baggy-pants sheet metal is one of the market’s best cars": http://www.wsj.com/articles/subaru-forester-choosing-function-over-form-1443728530

As an owner of a 2003 Forester, and having owned nothing but two Subarus for the past 27 years (an '88 wagon, my first new car, replaced by the Forester, also new, after the '88 was stolen), Dan gets it just right. We owners don't much care how it looks from the outside, we care how well we can see out of it, that it's reliable, reasonably economical to operate and maintain, safe, gets us, our friends and our stuff there and back in snow or on dirt roads (not jeep roads), and doesn't waste money on useless frills. My two-generations back Forester has excellent visibility, and the current one (or maybe it was the last gen) was voted to have the best visibility of any car sold in America (presumably excluding convertibles).

Subaru has really done a good job of serving their wagon/small CUV market demographic, although I worry that any attempt to widen it beyond their active outdoors/snow country/lesbian (I have no idea why they appeal to the last group) owners by providing bling will lose the Subie owners who've made the brand so successful - the creeping loss of Subaru models offered with manual transmissions is a symptom of this (e.g. the Outback is no longer available with a stick).

Personally, although they've served me well, unlike many owners I have no brand loyalty; I bought both my Subies because they happened to meet my needs better than the competition (very little of that in 1988, a lot more in 2003) at the time I bought them, and would switch without a thought if someone else produces a car that better meets my needs the next time I'm in the market. I'm holding out for a ZEV, and (barring it being totaled) fully expect my Forester to last me to 2020 or 2025 if need be, until a ZEV is available that could replace the Forester (or my needs change). If Elon wasn't just smoking something when he said that either the Model 3 or Model Y (presumably the Model 3 CUV) would have the dumb Falcon Wing doors, and he's seriously planning to put them on what's supposed to be a mass-market car, that would eliminate it from consideration. A pity, if correct.

aarond12 said:
The pressure isn't exclusive to German automakers either. The "Big Three" can't seem to make a compelling electric car either. In fact, it seems that no one but Tesla can. I'm certain this will change in the near future but Tesla has such a huge lead on everyone else, they're going to be playing catch-up for quite some time.

that is complete BS. its easy to make a "compelling" car when you have that much money to spend on each one. but rather than reviewing the definition of compelling, lets illustrate parallels of "Tesla compelling" with other events

winning the lottery
hitting the trifecta at the track
winning the lottery...

all the above has an equal amount of "compellingness"

lets see what this "affordable" Tesla looks like before we say that Tesla is doing something no one else can or "what other high end 100 % EV manufacturers are we comparing Tesla to?"

RegGuheert said:

WSJ said:

Green Car Reports: Germans Vs Tesla in High-End Electric Cars: Will Fast Charging Follow in Time
John Voelcher said:
And once they tested the Model S, and realized that it delivered on the promise of a good-looking, smooth, fast sedan that happened to run entirely on electricity, those three makers set about figuring out what to do about it.
I'm sure this is not the end of the story. Tesla now has two products aimed directly at this market, so the pressure on the German automakers is now even higher.

This is completely expected. Some felt that Tesla and Nissan were in competition with each other but that is like saying Ferrari and Subaru were fighting over the same market space.

DaveinOlyWA said:
This is completely expected. Some felt that Tesla and Nissan were in competition with each other but that is like saying Ferrari and Subaru were fighting over the same market space.
Exactly.

If the Tesla Model 3 and LEAF 2 with long-range battery are priced similarly, only then they will compete directly.

RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Exactly.

If the Tesla Model 3 and LEAF 2 with long-range battery are priced similarly, only then they will compete directly.

just as I did not follow the German luxury market, I do not follow the Tesla S or X or whatever. Sure I know "something" about them, sat in one, etc but that is the extent of it.

I have said this many times but we are moving into a more exciting area of EVs. I still stand by my conviction that under 100 mile range EVs will dominate sales for the time being even after 200 mile EVs are out (price is still the #1 factor for us common folk...) but having a choice will be awesome. I am on my 2nd LEAF and imm, neither purchase window had other viable options.

DaveinOlyWA said:
...I have said this many times but we are moving into a more exciting area of EVs. I still stand by my conviction that under 100 mile range EVs will dominate sales for the time being even after 200 mile EVs are out (price is still the #1 factor for us common folk...) but having a choice will be awesome. I am on my 2nd LEAF and imm, neither purchase window had other viable options.
I'm going to guess otherwise. Looking five years down the road, I think that the 200+ mile EVs will become standard, will drop fairly quickly in price, and will make sub 100 mile EVs effectively obsolete. Even though the short range EVs would be cheaper.

We'll see how things shake out in a few years. :)

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...I have said this many times but we are moving into a more exciting area of EVs. I still stand by my conviction that under 100 mile range EVs will dominate sales for the time being even after 200 mile EVs are out (price is still the #1 factor for us common folk...) but having a choice will be awesome. I am on my 2nd LEAF and imm, neither purchase window had other viable options.
I'm going to guess otherwise. Looking five years down the road, I think that the 200+ mile EVs will become standard, will drop fairly quickly in price, and will make sub 100 mile EVs effectively obsolete. Even though the short range EVs would be cheaper.

I vote with you; sub-100 mile BEVs are too limiting for most people, effectively making them more expensive and luxurious NEVs.

GRA said:
dgpcolorado said:

I vote with you; sub-100 mile BEVs are too limiting for most people, effectively making them more expensive and luxurious NEVs.
I also agree. The difference in price between 100- and 200-mile BEVs will soon be so low that the 100-mile BEVs will likely disappear. A 100-mile BEV is simply too much hassle for most people.

In the 4 years of my Leaf ownership, I have had ZERO adopters among my friends. Its not that they don't like my Leaf, and the huge gas savings, but NONE of them could deal with the limited range. Until the standard EV is >200 mile range, I believe that they will stay in their ICE vehicles. On the other hand, my Tesla 70D is extremely liberating. I go days without plugging in, and tomorrow we are taking our first road trip, something I would normally have done in my Prius.

keydiver said:
In the 4 years of my Leaf ownership, I have had ZERO adopters among my friends. Its not that they don't like my Leaf, and the huge gas savings, but NONE of them could deal with the limited range. Until the standard EV is >200 mile range, I believe that they will stay in their ICE vehicles. On the other hand, my Tesla 70D is extremely liberating. I go days without plugging in, and tomorrow we are taking our first road trip, something I would normally have done in my Prius.

My experience has been similar. I have not convinced a single person to even seriously consider a Leaf. I usually get comments like "it's great that it works for you, but...". On the other hand, I am open to any car with a plug. I have convinced people to consider/buy a PHEV like the Volt or Energi.

I would personally still buy a 100-mile BEV if the price was right. But I have come to realize that if prices of 200-mile BEVs are to become affordable, then the savings from having half the battery will not be significant.

DaveinOlyWA said:
that is complete BS.
Compelling - Definition 1: very interesting; able to capture and hold your attention (Miriam Webster)

Tell me what other production EVs are very interesting and able to capture and hold your attention. LEAF? Kinda interesting, but an appliance (which is why I love it). Focus EV? i-MiEV? Soul EV? eGolf?

In short, there are no truly compelling EVs except for the Tesla (and some future cars from other high-end automakers). All other current (no pun intended) EVs are appliances. There are no giggle-fest Ludicrious-mode-like videos on YouTube for other EVs.

So no, it's not complete BS. ;)

OTOH, we'll have to see how compelling the cars are when areas/countries with extremely high government incentives phase them out. Via ievs:
Denmark To Phase Out Electric Car Tax Breaks – Price Of Tesla Model S To Almost Triple
http://insideevs.com/denmark-phase-electric-car-tax-breaks-price-tesla-model-s-almost-triple/

Denmark has a new three-month old government, who intends to reverse tax breaks for electric cars.

According to the new plan, tax breaks for EVs could disappear completely by 2020, so there isn’t much time, especially since the breaks/additional taxes will likely be implemented step-by-step.

In Denmark, taxes on conventional cars are very high, higher than the price of the whole car.

180% tax instead of 0% would nearly triple the price of EVs. And the more expensive the car is, the higher the tax will be.

The article includes examples showing how much the price of various Model S's would increase each year as the incentives phase out. The increases are more like double. Here's the one for the S70D:

• Tesla Model S 70D

Prices today 589.000 kroner ($90,641 USD)
    Price after 2016 with new tax 739.000 kroner ($113,700)
    2017: 844.500 kroner
    2018: 1.001.100 kroner
    2019: 1.129.500 kroner
    2020: 1.141.500 kroner ($175.667 USD)

aarond12 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
that is complete BS.
Compelling - Definition 1: very interesting; able to capture and hold your attention (Miriam Webster)

Tell me what other production EVs are very interesting and able to capture and hold your attention. LEAF? Kinda interesting, but an appliance (which is why I love it). Focus EV? i-MiEV? Soul EV? eGolf?

In short, there are no truly compelling EVs except for the Tesla (and some future cars from other high-end automakers). All other current (no pun intended) EVs are appliances. There are no giggle-fest Ludicrious-mode-like videos on YouTube for other EVs.

So no, it's not complete BS. ;)

Although still sold in small numbers; what about the MBZ B-class Electric Drive ? It's kind of a mini-wagon but at least does offer a few luxury options -- still low EV range compared to Tesla but perhaps set apart from the ones you've already mentioned.

I'm sure Tesla has some research on what kind of 'conquest' sales they're getting from those who may have cross-shopped it with price comparable alternatives ... oh, wait here's an article:

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/tesla-model-s-toyota-prius/

At least when this was done, it's a lot of former Prius owners ...

I've read a few articles now that reference the upcoming German luxury brand cars as being linked to the 2025 café targets and having nothing to do (or little) with sales from Tesla.

Although I can't find the original article I thought of, which I believe was car and driver, it went through all the planned/rumoured BEV and PHEV that BMW VW group and Daimler were planning and had some interviews with people from those companies. The short version is that their clients demand power, they can't simply cut performance to meet the new CAFE rules because they wouldn't be competitive anymore. Since none of those companies plays in the sub $20k at all or even sub $30k segments in any serious way (VW has lots of selection but poor market share, Mini still sells performance) they can't play the numbers game the way GM Ford and Toyota can. If Cadilac doesn't want to cut 100hp from the CTS-V they can cut it from the cruze/sonic/spark etc... to make up for it.

The other big change that 2025 will bring is a move away from fines paid to the EPA for failure to meet goals and a credit based system similar to CARB where they will have to bid on the open market for them. Not only does this mean giving profit to other auto makers but it doesn't let them plan ahead and could mean a time where they are told to stop selling cars.

Here's a couple articles I found on the topic.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/columns/1409-will-cafe-burn-the-germans/

"That’s because German automakers face some particular challenges in meeting the new standards. No, it’s not just because Americans don’t like diesels. The standards have a curve for vehicle footprint -- bigger vehicles have lower targets -- but not for price segment. Mercedes and Volkswagen, along with BMW, rely heavily on the sales of luxury vehicles in the United States -- cars that tend to be more powerful and less efficient, aimed at customers less likely to make fuel economy a priority. "

"The biggest issue may not be the standards themselves but the consequences. In the past, the Germans have paid millions of dollars in fines for missing fuel economy targets. It was the cost of doing business. “They used to just sell the cars and pay the fines,” Gott says. But under the new rules they won’t be able to sell cars if they miss the cut. "
IIRC Mercedes pays $300mil + a year pretty much every year.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-54...large-heres-how-companies-currently-stack-up/

"These six automakers hold the strongest and weakest positions in the fight for higher fuel economy, based on their 2014 CAFE requirements and fleet averages. While Toyota cars are second only to Tesla when it comes to exceeding the CAFE target, we omitted that brand because Toyota trucks are 0.8 mpg below the current requirement."
I've also read that was the reason Toyota developed and pushed the Prius so much, they had a very fuel inefficient fleet and didn't have the power like the germans to just raise prices and pay a fine.

Notice that Honda and Mazda are the 2 best over all and have very little in hybrids and BEV.
Can-We-Hit-the-Target-inline1.jpg

And last but not least most of the time frames and releases of the German cars suggest a staggered system to convert/get their customers use to BEV and PHEV and have the cars out ready for 2025 and not to come in right now and compete with Tesla.

DaveinOlyWA said:
RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Exactly.

just as I did not follow the German luxury market, I do not follow the Tesla S or X or whatever. Sure I know "something" about them, sat in one, etc but that is the extent of it.

I have said this many times but we are moving into a more exciting area of EVs. I still stand by my conviction that under 100 mile range EVs will dominate sales for the time being even after 200 mile EVs are out (price is still the #1 factor for us common folk...) but having a choice will be awesome. I am on my 2nd LEAF and imm, neither purchase window had other viable options.

I agree with you, and 70,000 leafs in the US over 4 model years isn't as great of a sales story as they hoped but it's enough to justify a model. I expect that we'll see the current leaf with the new 30kWh sell along side leaf 2 for a few years. Lots of auto makers have done this, Nissan has just recently done it with the Rogue which became the Rogue select when the new model came out. I heard that the Rogue select will be axed next year but only to make room at the plant for other models.

Since Nissan builds the leaf at multiple plants they may be even more cost savings for them but not converting all the lines to the leaf 2 at the same time. They could easily keep the US plant at leaf 1 which would allow it to be cheaper and duty free and bring the first few years of leaf 2 in from Japan. Not only would they not have to pay to update the car's line but they wouldn't have to build the same battery in 2 places too. Some people here have referenced in the past that Nissan has to build the leaf in the US as part of the DOE loans but I doubt that would apply to a second BEV if the first one is still being build in the same place.

The biggest benefit Tesla has made towards electrification is they have taken the preception of an EV from a nerdy science project to something ordinary people aspire towards. Sure most people can't afford the Tesla's lofty price tag, but now they are a bit more willing to consider an ordinary EV which, by the way, are getting better and better each year.

- does anyone have a 200 mile EV that is under $100k? No. Lots of big talk but nothing even close to being in the showrooms
- 200 miles is only 200 miles on your first day. Every day after you see inevitable battery degradation. 10% loss on a 80 miles EV is one thing. 10% loss on 200 miles EV is a bigger impact. Within 3 or 4 years, you have car not much better than a brand new 100 miles EV.

EVs are for people that can compartmentalize their driving. I have personally gotten several people actively thinking an EV. The model is always the same. Married or cohabiting couple, one with normal commute and other major smaller commute. You use the EV as the local car and the ICE as the long distance car. An honest assessment of a couple's driving habits usually shows the pattern to very common. Many ICE couples have the same thing with the Leaf equivalent a heap and the long distance car a late model ICE. Millions of people fit that pattern. Forget about Tesla and "cool" cars. EVs make a lot of sense when you realize insane driving is for teenagers.

Back