LG Chem to offer 80 to 120 kWh batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.wggb.com/2015/05/20/5-key-developments-in-the-electric-car-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LG Chem, a Korean chemical engineering company, announced its intention to be a supplier of larger batteries to car manufacturers who are interested in longer range EVs. LG Chem is targeting a 200-300 mile range battery pack. The company contends that currently most EVs with their 75-90 mile range have a limited appeal and that hinders the potential for market growth. Currently, only the Tesla Model S possesses a truly long-range battery pack. To that end, LG Chem says it would begin to offer large capacity lithium-ion batteries that hold between 80 and 120 kWh. LG Chem is already a supplier for the Chevrolet Volt. For those who remember, GM announced this past January that the Bolt, a new pure EV that will go into production in 2016, will have a 200-mile range. It’s easy to connect the dots—the Bolt might be the early bird to incorporate such a long-range battery. Such long-range EVs have the potential to dramatically shake up the electric-car landscape and appeal to a larger audience.

Report on this by insideevs.com

http://insideevs.com/lg-chem-says-ready-supply-300-mile-120-kwh-batteries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect no earlier than 2020.

120 kWh battery at even $200 is already $25k. If they make Rogue with 120 kWh - it would need to be priced close to $55k. How many would buy one ?

evnow said:
If they make Rogue with 120 kWh - it would need to be priced close to $55k. How many would buy one ?
If they added automatic recessed door handles, a 17" flat panel and changed their logo, that would be a deal!
:lol: :D

desiv

desiv said:
If they added automatic recessed door handles, a 17" flat panel and changed their logo, that would be a deal!
:lol: :D
And super charger access and fast.

We still don't know what kind of volumetric density they are talking about. May be the 120 kWh can only go in a huge SUV.

I am happy with what I have. Even using 80% charge I am able to use up the 300 miles/week and 15,000 miles per year on the lease. If they are still offering a $5,000 discount on purchase at end of lease I will keep it. We LOVE our Leaf.

I would not want to double the battery size, weight, and cost to get the same type of battery. When they have developed a battery the same size and weight, and cheaper to make, that gets 200 miles on a charge then I will get another Leaf. Otherwise I am very happy to keep driving our MY2013 Leaf SL. Just my opinion.

Any longer trips we can always take our ICE which can get us 400 miles on a single fill-up, and the cost of gas is less than the $0.15/mile extra that we have to pay for milage over the 15,000/year lease.

When Graffi was one month old we took a 230 mile day trip in it. That is just over 3 hours of driving total, 1.5 hours each way. On this trip we decided to let the driving and charging be an adventure, and it was. We enjoyed ourselves and ended up charging at 3 dealerships, both going and return. We had a 1.5 hour charge each way at one dealer, ate lunch going, and ate dinner going home. Another dealer we spent 30 minutes each way just to add more electrons so we could complete the trip. The first charge that morning and the last charge that night was at the dealer closer to our home that had the L3 DCQC installed at the time. It was a little out of the way, but it was free and quick. Still, we spent over 30 minutes each way there. Add to that we drove extra miles, and at a slower speed, 55 to 60 mph on the freeway vs. 75 to 80 mph in the ICE. And since we traveled from dealer to dealer we also took local roads with lights and slower speeds. We spent 10 hours on the road vs. 3 hours it takes in the ICE. We will NEVER take the EV on a long trip again, but then again we do not need to.

We enjoyed our adventure, and are glad we did it, but do not need to do it again. The longest we go now is about once per month or so we take an 84 mile R/T, mostly freeway, but we drive 55 to 60 mph, but never over 60 mph. We charge at home to 100% before we leave, and are very low when we get back. If we drove over 60 mph we would need to spend at least 30 minutes at one of the dealers along the way to make the trip (we did that a couple of times until we got smart enough to SLOW DOWN).

When the ELIO finally comes out I hope my wife will let me get one (84mph and $6,800 new price). I like the look of it but she does not. I hope that we can take our trips down the freeway in one in the future. Leaf for commute and local driving, and an ELIO for trips. YEA!!!

Battery announcements are nice. Actual batteries are better.

"Just as soon as a man gets working on the secondary [rechargeable] battery it brings out his latent capacity for lying.
-- Thomas Edison, 1883

But, where there's smoke there's fire and if a company such as LG is making big noises then there's certainly improvements in the works. The magnitude remains to be seen.

I'm hoping it will cost less than $200 per kWh given that LG says they are going to cut the price in half next year.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/08/133_184623.html
What do you think is a realistic price if they are cutting the price in half? $150, $100 per kWh? at $150 per kWh that would be $150 * 120 = $18k. Would be nice if we could get an EV minivan for $40K. Chrysler Town and Country? :)

Back