BREAKING: California’s Green HOV Stickers Are Gone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via ievs:
http://insideevs.com/breaking-californias-green-hov-stickers-gone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see just how big the drop in PHEV sales will be, and how the value of used PHEVs with the stickers changes.

GRA said:
Via ievs:
http://insideevs.com/breaking-californias-green-hov-stickers-gone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see just how big the drop in PHEV sales will be, and how the value of used PHEVs with the stickers changes.
I have to admit that's fine with me... There are those who've never plugged in their cars and bought just to drive in the high occupancy lanes, and more than once, a pair of PHEVs have blocked me from charging when I NEEDED the juice to get home... Both strategies seem opposed to EVs. Just sayin...

Just FYI: the Air Resources Board has updated their website in response to the report on InsideEVs this morning. There appear to be a few stickers left, and if you wanted to get a plug-in hybrid and drive in the carpool lane, now is the time to do it. The DMV has reportedly stopped the practice of allowing dealers to apply for green HOV stickers on May 1. This means that the demand could soften a bit, and the stickers could last until the end of May.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
greenhovstickers

surfingslovak said:
Just FYI: the Air Resources Board has updated their website in response to the report on InsideEVs this morning. There appear to be a few stickers left, and if you wanted to get a plug-in hybrid and drive in the carpool lane, now is the time to do it. The DMV has reportedly stopped the practice of allowing dealers to apply for green HOV stickers on May 1. This means that the demand could soften a bit, and the stickers could last until the end of May.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
greenhovstickers
They've dropped the number they say they've issued up to May 11th from 68,992 to 66,255. I think Toyota's decision to phase out production of the PiP when they did is looking smarter and smarter.

Will they have the guts to let them expire 1-1-19? It would be nice to have the carpool lanes moving again.

Will the white stickers get extended? Will there be a new color for hydrogen?

GRA said:
They've dropped the number they say they've issued up to May 11th from 68,992 to 66,255.
Yes, exactly. There is about 30 days worth of application backlog. At the recent run rate of 90 stickers per calendar day, the remaining allocation is good for about 40 calendar days. All things being equal, the stickers could be all spoken for on or around May 21. If it's true that dealers are no longer allowed to apply for the green decals directly, the somewhat softer demand could buy us a few extra days. With little luck, the remaining allocation could carry us into early June.

smkettner said:
Will they have the guts to let them expire 1-1-19? It would be nice to have the carpool lanes moving again.
Yes, absolutely. I watched the progression of AB-2013 through the State legislature last year, and there seems to be a good understanding that the HOV lanes are suffering from congestion. I think the chances are good that the green stickers will expire on January 1, 2019, and the white stickers will be extended.

smkettner said:
Will the white stickers get extended? Will there be a new color for hydrogen?
I would think so! While the white sticker program is quite confusing in its own right, I don't think that they will mess with the category definition at this stage. All alternative fuel vehicles qualify, which is the reason that any vehicle with gasoline onboard (e.g. i3 REx) cannot get the white stickers.

surfingslovak said:
All alternative fuel vehicles qualify, which is the reason that any vehicle with gasoline onboard (e.g. i3 REx) cannot get the white stickers.
Really?? Given that, perhaps BMW can now see their way clear to rewrite the firmware for the REx to make it useful...

Welcome back, BTW!

I don't feel bad at all that the privilege of driving in the carpool lane will no longer apply to new Plug in Prius owners, as chances are extremely high that they are driving on gas since the electric range is pitiful and it can't even do the speedlimit in EV mode. However I do feel bad for new Volt owners since chances are that they ARE driving on electricity. In the future if they offer stickers to PHEV owners, I think there should be a minimum electric range AND speed to qualify for such a sticker. Something like 30 mi electric range and 68 MPH minimum seems about right.

Back