How and why did EVs get politicized?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

Call me naive, but it seems to me that there are plenty of features of electric vehicles and electrification of transportation in general that should appeal to both sides of the political aisle. And yet, for some reason(s), the right has become quite anti-EV, anti-Tesla, and even (or especially) anti-Elon_Musk.

Here I posit a few possible reasons for this phenomenon, but encourage adding or subtracting from the list. I'm also curious if anyone thinks this will change, and if so, when.

So why so much "EV-antipathy" on the right?

1. Reflexive anti-Obamaism. Obama and his DOE are slightly pro-EV, so tribal mentality demands being 'anti-EV'.
  2. Big Oil, Koch money influence.
  3. Related to #2, climate denialism. Petroleum and pollution are not problems.
  4. EV "subsidies", including ZEV credits, the Federal tax credit and other "perks" of EV-ownership.
  5. "Solyndra." The Federal loan to Tesla; "Picking winners."

In my opinion, this divide is most unfortunate and may be the biggest obstacle in the advancement of the EV-industry in the U.S. If the right had a "change of heart" about any number of things, or an aha moment about petroleum's very dark sides, I think we'd see the revolution take off even faster than it is poised to do anyway.

Because Al Gore and climate scientists (and by extension: professors, universities, books, learning, the Scientific Method, Democrats, the EPA, clean air and water, "O'Bummer", Activist Judges(tm), and Hillary Clinton)... want to take away our cars and have us die penniless and freezing in the dark. What's so hard to understand?

Because it didn't... and it did..

Some people (and the media) love to do that every chance they get.

There are EV owners from all political spectrums.

But if you want to, you can politicize anything.
Doesn't mean the issue is actually political, even when it is. ;-)

desiv

This same discussion applies to PV (and wind, but wind is a bit different in that it is not directly owned by nearly as many individuals).

The simple answer is that issue "X" becomes political as soon as you start having public money involved. Whether rebates on taxes, refunds, or direct aid in form of loans, loan guarantees, or cash payments if it is public money, the politicians will be involved. When it is federal money, then it is generally much larger amounts and opportunities abound to 'win influence' by directing said funding.

EVs get public subsidies that are very visible. They are a desirable product (especially the high end) and being new tech they are more expensive than the alternatives. Thus not everyone can take advantage of the immediate handout, but *IF* the tech really is good for society in the long run and the handouts speed things up in terms of maturing the market everyone will benefit eventually...

So, in essence it "should" be political as politicians direct the funds.

The thing is that we seldom have folks discussing the "how and why is X worth spending public money" as much as "how can *I* get part of the handout" and/or "Why did xyz group get more than me."

When it comes to EVs I believe part of the 'problem' is the apparent total lack of a long term national level energy plan. Something that projects our energy needs and determines how we'll meet those needs in the next 10-20 years. IF we had such a plan (even a 5 year one) regularly updated then public policies could be measured against the plan and measurements could be in place to monitor progress.

It became political when the Volt did not include gun racks.

Fortunately Mitsubishi has a solution for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu-9ZtnMa4&feature=youtu.be&t=15m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its said that Americans don't drive their cars, they wear their cars. Until the car manufacturers sell plugin vehicles that appeal to the right of politics, it will be seen unfavorably.

Generally the Right considers, once Tesla repaid their federal loan, they became better than GM, Ford or Chrysler.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/05/three-cheers-for-tesla.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think a core constituency of the anti-musk crowds are rich east coast apartment dwellers, who short the stock because they can't see themselves getting a power-point for their apartment. for example Whitney Tilsen http://valueinvestorcanada.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/whitney-tilson-thinks-tesla-is-no.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

remember the number Tesla website is the Drudge report http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/02/quantcast-measures-tesla/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the real long/short thesis on Tesla is not political but local local, those with garages vs those without garages.

Because politicians and constituents have short memories. Former President George W. Bush was who signed into action the $7500 EV tax credits. :eek:

At the deeper, primate level, it's because when EVs are promoted as being clean, environmentally friendly and beneficial, the inverse is also perceived. The ICE cars and trucks favored by most people, but especially by conservatives, are implied to be dirty, eco-killing and selfish toys for people who care only about themselves. It's a catch-22: as long as you try to change practices that are bad by saying they are Bad, you will also be calling (again, at the instinctual primate level) those who consider them cultural norms Bad as well. How to avoid this? All I can say by way of an answer, is that people have to decide that they want something; no amount of telling them to get it will make them happily do so.

LeftieBiker said:
How to avoid this?
Maybe the EV manufacturers of this world should start some advertising campaigns that make national security, geopolitical, deficit-reduction, "personal responsibility", "marketplace competition and choice", and/or energy-independence arguments. As I said, there are plenty of features that should appeal to all stripes of Americans. And to be honest, I don't think EVs are currently being marketed particularly for their "green cred". (Or have they? I don't see many commercials.)

Regardless, for some reason, I don't see Nissan, GM or any other large manufacturer addressing any of the above issues, or the related reasons why EVs are beneficial, in advertisements. It'll be interesting to see what Tesla does if and when they start to advertise, and how all of the majors approach this once EVs become price-competitive with ICEs, even without accounting for total cost of ownership.

LeftieBiker said:
All I can say by way of an answer, is that people have to decide that they want something; no amount of telling them to get it will make them happily do so.
Yet...Nobody without a farm wanted pickup trucks until car advertisements with sexy blondes 'made' them decide. That's what's so crazy about our culture - everyone's led by the nose by the 24/7 onslaught of marketing yet they all think they're in control. :(

Even thought I was working in sales at the time, I didn't realize how pervasive the messaging was until I tossed my TV in the trash. All it took was a 6 month break. I absolutely cannot stand to watch TV and have ad-blocks all over my computer. It's insane.

And to be honest, I don't think EVs are currently being marketed particularly for their "green cred". (Or have they? I don't see many commercials.)

I'm talking more about the cross-cultural 'conversation' than specifically about marketing. Marketing is pervasive, but it's still just one component of how we communicate.

AndyH said:
Yet...Nobody without a farm wanted pickup trucks until car advertisements with sexy blondes 'made' them decide. That's what's so crazy about our culture - everyone's led by the nose by the 24/7 onslaught of marketing yet they all think they're in control. :(
Oh, how true. People shopping in mainstream grocery stores think they have a choice of what foods to buy, too. This is based on differently-styled glittery packaging, even though most items contain GMO ingredients, are heavily processed and produced by maybe ten companies and/or have a lot of added sugar, salt and chemicals (etc). i.e., many similar items are essentially equally bad for you and the planet.

Or how about what national news to watch: ABC, NBC, or CBS... or LOL! Hell, throw in MSNBC and Fox, too, since they probably share many advertisers -- automobiles and pharmaceuticals in particular. And speaking of which (news, 'diet' and advertising), many also think that they have a choice regarding how to deal with health issues: I can "ask my doctor" if the big purple pill is right for me, or if maybe I should try the small maroon one (seen on the other channel five minutes ago) this time, instead.

Sad, sad, sad. I agree, and getting rid of one's TV might well solve all three of these problems at once!

LeftieBiker said:
All I can say by way of an answer, is that people have to decide that they want something; no amount of telling them to get it will make them happily do so.

I think Elon Musk agrees, that ultimately EVs can't succeed by simply appealing to environmental values. You win by making an electric car that is unquestionably better than a gasoline car, period.

When you get things like tax credits, access to HOV lanes, you get into politics. Once we clear those items and EVs become a reliable inexpensive means to handle 85-95% of your transportation needs, then the drama goes away. Personally I am still not a big fan of the Tesla approach. It seems like an overage of drama over there, fighting the good fight, and that folderol. The drama almost reaches teen age levels. Maybe that is the only way to start a new car company. Once, if they ever get to a true mass production level, the business is just about turning out economical cars, the only future for EVs, then I hope they dial down the drama.

Nubo said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think Elon Musk agrees, that ultimately EVs can't succeed by simply appealing to environmental values. You win by making an electric car that is unquestionably better than a gasoline car, period.
I agree with this as well*, especially when introducing a novel/disruptive product into an entrenched industry. The point I was agreeing with AndyH about was that Madison Avenue -- well-paid professional and pervasive advertising -- is all too capable of creating "needs" and desires in large segments of the population (when none existed before).

Bottom line and to get somewhat back on topic, if and when EVs are broadly advertised, I hope they feature benefits that appeal to all, and not just the "eco-left". The problem though, is that I don't see any large-scale advertising campaign for EVs coming in the near term. Little bits here and there by the majors for their model or two, but not enough to eat into their real money-makers. And the one company that isn't worried about that problem (Tesla), won't need to advertise for a long time!

So who gets the word out to "the right" about all the reasons that they should prefer electricity over petroleum as well? Do we need to rely on a few, small, and mostly left-leaning non-profits? Or do we just have to wait until the superiority of EVs just becomes obvious, through higher gas prices, better batteries or (slow) word-of-mouth, exposure and 'experience'? How do we speed things up?!

* Although remember BetaMax vs VHS tale, and there are many others no doubt.

I live in an area where people are generally clannish, and quite frankly, below average in math and science knowledge. This is a problem when dealing with a new high tech car that uses kilowatts, batteries, and regenerative braking. People generally follow what their family or friends do.

Anti-intellectualism seems to be the platform of the far right that I despise most, especially when it's used for evil or selfish purposes. I live in the red State of Indiana, specifically southern IN.

That said, we've had many "conservative" people ask us about our new Leaf and I've given my neighbor and his kids a ride around the block. They are generally impressed that it rides great, is very quiet, and has decent interior room. And they are all curious about the cost of charging. Saving money motivates many people! In addition, many of my neighbors have older, but still very usable cars. An electric car, especially a used one for $12K, makes sense to lots of people as a local vehicle add-on. Unfortunately, not many exist in this area. I did inform my retired neighbor that the tax credit can be had through a lease, which he didn't know. He's a perfect candidate with a used Expedition getting 12 MPG and an extra space in his garage.

I've never seen an ad or billboard in this area for the Leaf. This is Ford/Chevy/Toyota country. In fact, the wife of a Toyota engineer (local car plant) got a little defensive when I asked her why Toyota didn't sell an all electric car. Typical excuses were given like "overload the grid," "they sell the Prius plug-in," and "limited range for all electric."

If Toyota or Honda sold an all electric car nationwide, this would be a different story.

redleafusa said:
Saving money motivates many people!

Yes it does. I'm politically conservative, and my co-workers are politically conservative. I initially got flak when I showed up at work with my Leaf for the first time, with comments like "Where's the Birkenstocks?" and "Berkeley is thataway" and "I thought you were a Republican?" being thrown at me :roll:

But then they ask me how much it costs to plug in, and I astonish them that to drive my Leaf 1,000 miles only costs $40 in electricity, and how little maintenance it requires.

I am a rock ribbed Republican. It is all about the Benjamins. Leaf is an inexpensive, low maintenance, basic vehicle to get around town or suburb. For many people it is the perfect second vehicle in a household. People like that and I are not interested in 200 miles road trips. Instead of a cash chewing second ICE, constantly needing repairs, an EV works better. Maybe Nissan only wants to be a first car. In my opinion, they are missing the boat on that one.

mjblazin said:
I am a rock ribbed Republican. It is all about the Benjamins. Leaf is an inexpensive, low maintenance, basic vehicle to get around town or suburb. For many people it is the perfect second vehicle in a household. People like that and I are not interested in 200 miles road trips. Instead of a cash chewing second ICE, constantly needing repairs, an EV works better. Maybe Nissan only wants to be a first car. In my opinion, they are missing the boat on that one.
(Though I don't have a political affiliation, I tend to lean more toward the right in terms of my personal values.) I also resonate with the reasoning described here -- I use my Leaf for local stuff, and my ICE for longer trips. I love the Leaf, and I will continue to love it even after the battery deteriorates, because it's still going to be fine going around town in. Someday when BEVs get 200+ mile range, I may replace my ICE with one of those, because honestly, my longest road trips tend to be only a few hundred miles, and I'd gladly go ~200, stop overnight, and go the rest of the way. (Or I'll just rent an ICE for those trips, who knows.)
In any case, as far as why did EVs get politicized, it's frankly because just about every decision one can make is being politicized now. The current hip trend is to make everything about "us" vs. "them" and this is no different. If one group says "go!" the other instinctively yells "stop!" and if one says "yes!" the other will shout "no!" in the blink of an eye. As soon as someone expresses favor in any way, if the opposing party doesn't, well, oppose it, they're not doing their job... it's a sad state of affairs.

mbender said:
So who gets the word out to "the right" about all the reasons that they should prefer electricity over petroleum as well?

Most of the EV advertising to date has spread by word-of-mouth. You talk to your family and friends about your EV. Your neighbors see you plugging in your car and inquire. People recognize the car in the parking lot as different and ask you about it.

Regardless of one's political leaning, we all tend to know / be related to those of different political views. So I think it's up to us as owners to talk up the benefits of the cars we drive and love. And make sure you "know your audience". For example, if the other person believes that the Earth is too large/resilient to be affected by us puny humans, talk about cost of ownership. Or if it's a "car guy", tell him about the last time you blew a muscle car out of the water at a stop light. There are any number of benefits for us to extoll. That's yet another reason I love my Leaf.

Back