Investor-owned Ca. utilities can now provide public charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

See the record of the CPUC's decision here, which removes the absolute prohibition on IOUs providing EVSEs except for their own vehicle fleets: http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M143/K682/143682372.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So does this charging equipment qualify as an asset to get the minimum guaranteed return same as grid assets?
If so you may see a lot of charging getting installed fast. Probably no issues of demand charges either :roll:

Two utility proposals are on the table. I have involvement with one of them.

Depending on how the decision goes, some of the funding asked for will be capital $ and earn the standard rate of return, while some funding will be O&M and qualify for reimbursement only.

However, by implementing a managed charging scenario with the new equipment that sends a higher pricing signal to drivers to avoid charging on-peak on certain days, there is an overall benefit to ratepayers because new power plants and other T&D assets will not have to be built to serve the new charging load on-peak.

The idea is to spend less money now to serve the car charging load (at the preferable time of day), and avoid more expenditures down the road for increased system power on-peak in the future...

Application was filed last April and a decision should be made before the current year is over...

Back