Los Angeles Times shows Toyota through rose tinted glasses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chocula

An article in the Los Angeles Times today presents a misleading picture of battery electric vehicles and Toyota's motivation to produce fuel cell vehicles.

They cite poor sales with no mention of the limited availability and lack of advertising compared to gas. They present Toyota as a forward looking company rather than one trying to limit its costs by producing the fewest zero emissions vehicles in the smallest geographic region as possible. There is no mention of CARB at all, much less how that might influence Toyota's decision to use fuel cells rather than batteries.

Battery electrics are portrayed only as short range with hours long recharge times with no mention of their advantages.

Concerned about slow sales of electric cars and plug-in hybrids, automakers are increasingly betting the future of green cars on hydrogen fuel cell technology.

"Today, Toyota actually favors fuel cells over other zero-emission vehicles, like pure battery electric vehicles," said Craig Scott, the company's national manager of advanced technologies. "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car."

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-fuel-cell-cars-20141026-story.html#page=1

You're going to see a WHOLE bunch of these types of articles in the coming year, all penned by somebody at:

Hydrogen Leader) Toyota

Hydrogen consortium 1) Ford Motor Co., Daimler, Renault or Nissan

Hydrogen consortium 2) General Motors or Honda

I thought BMW was in one of those groups.

If you recall all the buzz that came out of GM and the German car makers over Frankenplug, it seems "odd" that they might all be jumping ship to hydrogen... gee, I just can't figure it out. Maybe somebody can help a tired old sole understand this <<< ---- what they want me to believe.

mbender said:
Isn't it also a bit odd that the LA Times should do a puff piece on Toyota, after the automaker up and moved their headquarters from there to Texas? Could it be that the ghost of Dan Neil (former Times auto reporter and BEV skeptic who appeared in the 'Who Killed?' movies) lives on?
The LA Times doesn't recognize Torrance, where Toyota is [for the time being]. Such is life in the South Bay.

Back