EU cutting back on EV, hydrogen infrastructure targets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I live in an area that needs some serious infrastructure improvement (at least in order to travel outside of your normal commute), isn't it fair to say that we are presently in an awkward phase of EV deployment? I mean the installation targets in the article cited are for 2020. Isn't it fair to say that whatever the appropriate spacing of charging options is today, would be greatly reduced by 2020 when range extends to 150mi. and beyond?

I think this is often missed when people discuss charging infrastructure. Statements like "there needs to be an option to charge every 40 miles along major highways" are based on today's battery capacities. I think what we mean to say is that having an option every 50% of range is needed to give a "B" plan if a location is out-of-order.

So, I am sort of conflicted. If it were my money going in to this infrastructure (and in the end, it always seems to be my money one way or another), I'd hate to make the investment right now. Or, I should say that I'd not try to make all of the investment at any one point-in-time, because charging options will also be changing. So a build-out of level II infrastructure (for one example) might prove to be money poorly spent when looked at from 2020.

Another way to look at it is that if EV sales continue to ramp up, due to improvements in pricing, range, and customer acceptance, the 2020 model year will outsell all of the 2010-2015 model years. So poof, half the EVs on the road have the 2020 available range and the 2020 charging technologies (CHAdeMO QC? Tesla SuperCharge? Combo plug?). Now what will be the required level of infrastructure? With twice as many cars around, you could argue that more charge locations are needed. But with twice the range, you could also argue that this greatly increases the number of people that can do all of their charging at home and essentially require zero infrastructure, at least for their daily commute.

On the other-other hand, as battery capacities increase, you could argue that the number of hours to charge will increase. However, the odds of you being close to depletion or needing a full charge before completing your trip are diminished as well. And a battery with larger capacity can accept a faster charge... if the infrastructure supports the faster charge standard that your car supports. So, you might also argue that the average charge time should be greatly reduced, and thus a small number of such charge stations could meet the needs of more EVs then a level II station could today.

kikngas said:
While I live in an area that needs some serious infrastructure improvement (at least in order to travel outside of your normal commute), isn't it fair to say that we are presently in an awkward phase of EV deployment? I mean the installation targets in the article cited are for 2020. Isn't it fair to say that whatever the appropriate spacing of charging options is today, would be greatly reduced by 2020 when range extends to 150mi. and beyond?
If you look at it from the view point that EV's will have a larger share of the market the demand for "stations" will increase based on that share. Think of how many gas stations there are. Look at Tesla and their infrastructure plans, and that is based on just their company vehicle share over the next few years.

Back