Public Level 2 EVSEs done right

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgaydos

Today I stopped by the Aurora Municipal Center (Colorado) to use their Level 2 charger as shown on PlugShare. What I found was a setup - installed earlier this year - so ideal I wanted to share it with others.

In the garage (shaded!) were 4 spots with 2 dual Chargepoint EVSE stations each. Price was 11 cents/kWh plus $1/hour after the first 4 hours, to discourage people from just plugging in and leaving the car in the spot all day. To help keep them from being ICEd the spots are labeled either handicapped or EV - and there are plenty of other handicapped spots nearby. It probably also helps that the garage is shared by the police department.

I like first that there are 4 spots. I've been using public charging a lot lately and single-spot public EVSEs risk both being occupied or non-operational (PlugShare is a help here for those stations that share "in use" information). The Chargepoint network and support system seems more reliable than the others I've seen. The price is designed to recover the costs of electricity but there is a very clear incentive to get cars moved out of those spots after they've charged.

However, although the location is somewhat convenient to shopping and near parks and trails they apparently don't get many people using them outside of city employees. A policeman came up to me and asked if I was a city employee and initially became very concerned when I said I wasn't. But then he asked if I was paying for the electricity and when I told him I was we then had a very pleasant conversation where he asked about EVs and EVSEs and I showed him how it worked. He told me that last year there were complaints about EVs using garage outlets and stealing electricity (where have we heard that before?) but since he saw I was paying it was no problem.

Personally, I think that one of the keys to getting EVs into the mainstream (in addition to 150-mile real-life range in all weather conditions) is an extensive reliable public charging network, and while QCs are ideal it also would be great to have a proliferation of this kind of L2 setup.
photo.JPG

Charging for the cost of the electricity and then charging per hour is a really good idea for public charging (by public, I mean open to public, not necessarily government owned).

cgaydos said:
A policeman came up to me and asked if I was a city employee and initially became very concerned when I said I wasn't. But then he asked if I was paying for the electricity and when I told him I was we then had a very pleasant conversation where he asked about EVs and EVSEs and I showed him how it worked. He told me that last year there were complaints about EVs using garage outlets and stealing electricity (where have we heard that before?) but since he saw I was paying it was no problem.

I find it interesting that the cop would have had no problem if you were stealing electricity as a government employee, but as a mere tax payer, he was concerned. Anyway, glad you had an opportunity to educate him on what EVSEs are and how they work.

I agree with you completely; everything about that arrangement including the fair price for charging and the disincentive for remaining parked there sounds perfect.

the only issue I have, and I've seen it at Tesla superchargers as well, is marking the spots as handicapped parking. I think that is severely limited the usage of the evse at that spot

apvbguy said:
the only issue I have, and I've seen it at Tesla superchargers as well, is marking the spots as handicapped parking. I think that is severely limited the usage of the evse at that spot

In California, if there are multiple EVSE spaces, at least one must be marked for handicap parking. Colorado is probably the same.

Glad to see someone else found this one. I was the check in prior to yours. No one previously listed the price so I updated that. At first I was kind of miffed because despite others checking in nobody bothered to update the pricing. But once I saw it was the same price I pay at home I thought that was plenty fair. I didn't stay long as I was just stopping by to check it out on my way back from the airport. It was completely empty in there on a Thursday evening.

I agree it is about the best setup I have seen. Covered parking, multiple spots and a disincentive to leave the car plugged in for too long.

Nice to see someone charging by the kWh, which I thought you weren't allowed to do in most places without getting yourself labeled as an electric company.

SLONomad said:
apvbguy said:

In California, if there are multiple EVSE spaces, at least one must be marked for handicap parking. Colorado is probably the same.
IMHO it is unnecessary for the SC to have a handicap designation, would a car without the handicap placard be ticketed for using the SC marked handicap?

SLONomad said:
apvbguy said:

I haven't seen that anywhere else in CO. Actually what I think happened is that they converted 4 of the myriad of handicapped spots to EV and left the handicapped placards in place.

apvbguy said:
SLONomad said:
apvbguy said:

IMHO it is unnecessary for the SC to have a handicap designation, would a car without the handicap placard be ticketed for using the SC marked handicap?
You might want to examine the problem the right way around. ;) Nobody is going to object to a handicapped driver using an 'able-bodied' charge lane. The requirement is in place because the vast majority of both businesses and/or able-bodied citizens have had a problem in the past providing space for the handicapped.
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation.
http://www.ada.gov/2010_regs.htm

pkulak said:
Nice to see someone charging by the kWh, which I thought you weren't allowed to do in most places without getting yourself labeled as an electric company.

I think that regulation varies by state. Colorado public EVSEs, when not free, tend to charge by the kWh.

cgaydos said:
pkulak said:

I think that regulation varies by state. Colorado public EVSEs, when not free, tend to charge by the kWh.
Funny, I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday as I've noticed many chargepoint stations around me in CA now charge by kWh. I was informed that was PG&E's interpretation of the current law but that they've since been informed they were incorrect and that it was ok to charge by kWh after all.

AndyH said:
You might want to examine the problem the right way around. ;) Nobody is going to object to a handicapped driver using an 'able-bodied' charge lane. The requirement is in place because the vast majority of both businesses and/or able-bodied citizens have had a problem in the past providing space for the handicapped.
I'm going to object if that handicapped driver is icing a charging spot

Back