Musk : Tesla may open up Super Charger as a standard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Apparently we'll have a third joker in the circus of QC standards.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/tesla-to-share-supercharger-patents/?ncid=rss_truncated&utm_campaign=socialmedia_fb&utm_source=socialmedia_fb&utm_medium=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking at the UK launch of the Tesla Model S yesterday, Elon Musk said that he specifically wants to open up the designs for his Supercharger system in order to create a standard technical specification that other electric car makers can adopt.

I think this could be great if anyone else builds a car that can go 200 miles. Right now I need 40KW stations 50 miles apart, not 120KW stations 150 miles apart.

But, at least he's mentioning it as a possibility. It really is the best charging standard. I'd love it if Nissan sold their next cars with a single Tesla port and a J1772 adapter. The "charge" package just throws a CHAdeMO adapter in the trunk. :D

The Model S comes with a J-1772 to Model S adapter, there is no need for a dedicated J-1772 any longer. Of course you need to have a roughly 60Kwh pack to use SuperChargers anyway. The whole point is to try and entice the auto manufacturers to build a long distance EV, to compete with tesla. Competition validates the market...

evnow said:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/tesla-to-share-supercharger-patents/?ncid=rss_truncated&utm_campaign=socialmedia_fb&utm_source=socialmedia_fb&utm_medium=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking at the UK launch of the Tesla Model S yesterday, Elon Musk said that he specifically wants to open up the designs for his Supercharger system in order to create a standard technical specification that other electric car makers can adopt.

Considering they are not open to Tesla Roadster owners I would take this with a grain of salt...

epirali said:
evnow said:

Considering they are not open to Tesla Roadster owners I would take this with a grain of salt...

I don't think the Roadster was ever built with fast charging in mind though.

No, and in fact, what he wants is a commitment with prepaid arrangements. To wit, hardware costs a lot, electricity doesn't, and if you license this system from us, you will be providing your customers with lifetime charging, and none of this 'per session' or 'per kWh' nonsense.

Tesla should open the standard, that would be great.

The whole you have to have a 60 kWh pack to quick charge line is bullshit. The Leaf has a 24 kWh pack and can quick charge, same goes for the Imiev. The charge rate just needs to be lowered.

Tesla messed up not offering QC on the Model S 40, nobody wanted it so they had to cancel it, they didn't offer quick charging on the Rav4 EV, now they have to discount them to get people to buy them and they won't offer quick charging on the Benz.

Stupid, stupid stupid. 5-10 hours to charge a car on level 2 is a losing strategy. Tesla is screwing their partners Toyota and Daimler with a product that is lacking a critical QC feature necessary for mass market adoption.

EVDrive said:

The whole you have have a 60 kWh pack to quick charge line is bullshit. The Leaf has a 24 kWh pack and can quick charge, same goes for the Imiev. The charge rate just needs to be lowered.

Tesla messed up not offering QC on the Model S 40, nobody wanted it so they had to cancel it, they didn't offer quick charging on the Rav4 EV, now they have to discount them to get people to buy them and they won't offer quick charging on the Benz.

Stupid, stupid stupid. 5-10 hours to charge a car on level 2 is a losing strategy. Tesla is screwing their partners Toyota and Daimler with a product that is lacking a critical QC feature necessary for mass market adoption.

It's not Tesla's fault that other car manufactures don't understand that QC is needed to sell cars. At the very least, both Toyota and Mercedes could have installed "regular" QC options on their cars. And then they could have started installing QC at their dealerships, or better yet at the locations where people want to spend time.

tcherniaev said:
EVDrive said:

The whole you have to have a 60 kWh pack to quick charge line is bullshit. The Leaf has a 24 kWh pack and can quick charge, same goes for the Imiev. The charge rate just needs to be lowered.

It's not Tesla's fault that other car manufactures don't understand that QC is needed to sell cars. At the very least, both Toyota and Mercedes could have installed "regular" QC options on their cars. And then they could have started installing QC at their dealerships, or better yet at the locations where people want to spend time.

That seems inconsistent with Tesla refusing to offer fast charging on their canceled 40 kWh ModelS. Tesla is the industry leader in fast charging capability. It is up to them to offer the feature or not and they shouldn't build cars that don't offer fast charging... And when they do leave out this critical feature, it is a black eye for the EV business and creates a bad reputation that confirms that Ev's are not practical and inconvenient.

EVDrive said:
That seems inconsistent with Tesla refusing to offer fast charging on their canceled 40 kWh ModelS. Tesla is the industry leader in fast charging capability. It is up to them to offer the feature or not and they shouldn't build cars that don't offer fast charging... And when they do leave out this critical feature, it is a black eye for the EV business and creates a bad reputation that confirms that Ev's are not practical and inconvenient.

Tesla does offer Supercharging on the 40 kWh Model S. It costs $12,000 and includes an upgrade to a 60 kWh battery. They weren't planning on including Supercharging on the 40 kWh, but when they cancelled it and decided to ship the existing orders as software limited 60 kWh batteries, they included all the hardware and it is just a switch in software that has to be flipped to enable it.

EVDrive said:
they won't offer quick charging on the Benz.
Actually, QC is coming on the Benz next year...

Tesla is screwing their partners Toyota and Daimler with a product that is lacking a critical QC feature necessary for mass market adoption.
Perhaps it WAS offered to Toyota but being a compliance-only car, Toyota declined it...

I am surprised that no one has reverse engineered this and flipped the switch... Perhaps there are so few 40Kwh cars that there is no interest...

CmdrThor said:
They weren't planning on including Supercharging on the 40 kWh, but when they cancelled it and decided to ship the existing orders as software limited 60 kWh batteries, they included all the hardware and it is just a switch in software that has to be flipped to enable it.

TomT said:
I am surprised that no one has reverse engineered this and flipped the switch... Perhaps there are so few 40Kwh cars that there is no interest...
There was a used 40 kWh S for sale that did have Supercharger access (without the upgrade to 60 kWh and extra Supercharger fee). The owner didn't want any questions about it, apparently out of fear that Tesla would learn about the mistake (hack?). That car sold pretty quickly...

Apparently the VIN of the car is sent by the Supercharger station... I'm surprised that Tesla wouldn't check to see if the car is actually "valid" before allowing charging... Flipping the switch could easily allow for 60Kwh AC charging but I'd think that DC Supercharging would be a little more tricky...

dgpcolorado said:
TomT said:
There was a used 40 kWh S for sale that did have Supercharger access (without the upgrade to 60 kWh and extra Supercharger fee). The owner didn't want any questions about it, apparently out of fear that Tesla would learn about the mistake (hack?). That car sold pretty quickly...

TomT said:
Apparently the VIN of the car is sent by the Supercharger station... I'm surprised that Tesla wouldn't check to see if the car is actually "valid" before allowing charging... Flipping the switch could easily allow for 60Kwh AC charging but I'd think that DC Supercharging would be a little more tricky...
My impression from the discussion in the thread was that it was a mistake and the owner didn't want Tesla to find out and correct it.

The Tesla forums are alive with fear that their supercharger stations will be filled with Leafs trying to stuff every last free electron they can. And I don't blame them, that has been my experience at chademo stations as well. There can be a line of three cars waiting while people chademo to 100%. I have never had the opportunity to use one due to this.

The smaller the battery, the more desperate people are to get a charge. My work lot is filled with plug-in Prius' and Volts squeezing every little bit they can into their tiny batteries. I'm sure that's how Tesla owners feel about Leafs.

Back