Bill introduced to eliminate Georgia's $5k EV tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Bill will unplug Georgia's $5K electric vehicle tax credit
Given that it's the most generous credit currently available in the USA - Colorado is the only other state which has a credit valued at a similar amount - and that Atlanta is currently one of the hottest markets for the LEAF, this could certainly put a damper on overall sales.

That said, the current rebate does appear to be overly generous.

Which brings up a question - why isn't the LEAF selling in greater numbers in Colorado?

I personally despise the boom / bust cycles that these significant fixed amount subsidies generate. Subsidies like these should be designed to be phased out slowly over a period of time to give consumers and businesses time to adjust.

Similar cycles have been generated by the renewable energy PTC credit and I'm sure we'll see something similar when the $7500 EV federal tax credit goes away - not to mention the 30% tax credit available for solar PV.

If these incentives were designed more along the lines of the California Solar Initiative which was hugely successful and avoided significant boom/bust cycles as the solar PV incentive was gradually reduced as more solar PV was installed.

drees said:
Given that it's the most generous credit currently available in the USA - Colorado is the only other state which has a credit valued at a similar amount - and that Atlanta is currently one of the hottest markets for the LEAF, this could certainly put a damper on overall sales.

Actually West Virginia has the largest credit ($7500) and it is still in force.

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/findIncentivesByRegion/West+Virginia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
...Which brings up a question - why isn't the LEAF selling in greater numbers in Colorado? ...
A population that is one seventh that of California?

I suspect that the real reason that the LEAF doesn't sell as well in Colorado is that it is a much more challenging driving environment than many other states. A very large fraction of vehicles in Colorado are AWD or 4WD. And, consider that from the Denver metro area nearly all of the ski areas are beyond LEAF range. So it can't even be used for routine day ski trips in winter.

In the rural and/or mountain parts of the state, the reason is different: around here "real men" drive trucks. Even Prii are quite uncommon. I never recommend the LEAF to friends here; it is inappropriate for this remote rural area unless one is really committed to making it work. By doing the sorts of things that LEAF haters so love to ridicule. (I find it fun.)

My 2¢. FWIW.

Georgia strikes me as a much more LEAF-friendly driving environment, so long as one's commute isn't from one side of the Atlanta metro area to the other, or some similarly long distance. But that summer heat figures to be tough on the wilting LEAF battery...

Actually don't forget about IL on this ... ours is a 10% MSRP cash rebate of up to $4K, not a tax credit.

They just added the smart Ed and Caddy ELR so still going strong ... only downside is purchased and not leased cars.

It's good to see IL close to the top ten but as we're a moderate to colder weather state not surprised it isn't higher than that.

drees said:
Which brings up a question - why isn't the LEAF selling in greater numbers in Colorado?

Slap a Subaru badge on it and it will sell like hotcakes!

Honestly, nobody knows about the state rebates is my guess. If you're just an in-town driver, the LEAF is perfect.

I agree that CO is incredibly friendly tax wise for EV's. Max of $6K is pretty large. The problem for the wife and I is we can't even take full advantage of it in just one tax year. :( I guess it helps the folks that make enough to afford Tesla's. I suppose that is a benefit of lower income taxes, at least compared to CA where we are from. I think the biggest reason is the distances, the cold and a lack of education. The mountains don't help either, though if you can at least get to your destination you should regen it all back on the way down. I think people really overhype the snow thing though. Being a reasonably heavy FWD car with some decent tires on it should be fine unless it is in the feet of snow. We recently leased one because it works well for our commute where we work at the same location. About 25 miles round trip so even in the cold it will be fine. It is slightly downhill overall on the way to work so we roughly keep the same charge as we left with then burn some going back uphill to home. I think we could probably do three days of commute without charging.

That was a bit off topic but I honestly think the biggest reason is education and advertisement. More charging locations wouldn't hurt though either. At least along the main routes such as 25 and 70. :mrgreen:

drees said:

I wouldn't want to derail your conversation on the merits of tax incentives... but I did want to clarify for anyone who is searching the board for information about the Georgia Income Tax Credit...

The Bill to eliminate the tax credit did NOT get passed into law for 2014. Although it passed both the state house and senate, there were differences between the two versions and additional amendments were being considered when the legislature adjourned sine die. Barring a special session of the legislature (extremely unlikely!) the tax credit will remain in effect for all of 2014 and almost certainly for at least the first three months of 2015.

There were quite a few news reports that this bill was passed into law, and not all of them have had corrections posted. This story is probably the most accurate report that I've seen about what really happened:

http://insideevs.com/georgia-does-not-cap-ev-incentive-hb257-doesnt-make-vote/

Keep charging!

Will.

In Colorado, the Leaf is a single-city only type vehicle. There is more distance of nothingness between actual population areas than the Leaf can manage there and back on a single 100% charge. It is about 60miles between Colorado Springs and Denver which are 2 big ones at interstate 80mph speeds which the Leaf can't do. And once you get there, there are 0 DC QC stations. So you are stuck with an L2 if you can find one and you are at the mercy of public charging. And again with the ski trips, the Leaf just can't do it. I take the Prius up in the mountains almost every weekend and it does fine. You don't need AWD/4WD but you do need range. The Tesla is the only thing close for Colorado and even then, it can't do the majority of ski trips from around here.

Back