SolarCity Introduces Energy Storage for Businesses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Introducing SolarCity DemandLogic™ - Demand management and backup power made easy
SolarCity Introduces Energy Storage for Businesses
SolarCity DemandLogic™ integrates intelligent management software and Tesla battery technology to reduce businesses’ peak demand, provide backup power during outages and potentially save thousands on energy costs
SolarCity storage systems are available to new solar power customers through 10-year service agreements including monthly payments, with no upfront cost required. SolarCity will customize the system size to make it possible for businesses to save money immediately by saving more on energy costs than they spend for the storage service. Unlike load shifting approaches to demand management, this product requires no change in operations for the business and is fully automated.
This is pretty cool. I can easily see this being used in conjunction with quick charger installs (Tesla already does this - they have 600 kWh of battery storage installed at Tejon Ranch SuperCharger) to minimize demand charges and SolarCity has been installing residential-versions as well (with around 10 kWh of battery storage).

When will we see the first CHAdeMO stations using this product? I would love to see how much peak demand charges could be reduced...

Good info, thanks...

In the San Diego area, in order to eliminate demand charges, a couple of things would have to occur.

1) The customer would have to install a product like this in an effective way (or another solution) to reduce the Monthly Maximum Demand on the account to below 20 kW for every 15 minute time window in the billing period

2) When #1 is complete, after 3 months the customer is eligible to switch from the AL TOU rate to the A rate (which currently has no demand charges).

If the charging station is connected to a separate service / meter, then the charging station load is all that must be reduced to less than 20 kW to eliminate demand charges. If, however, the charging station is connected to the building or house power, then ALL of that load must be reduced to less than 20 kW before the customer can switch to the A rate for that account (and eliminate demand charges)....That is one reason why I suggest that customers should install a separate service / meter for the charging equipment if it is practical...

Very interesting product....

drees said:
When will we see the first CHAdeMO stations using this product? I would love to see how much peak demand charges could be reduced...

http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/02/psus-electric-avenue-gets-new-fast.html?page=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kanematsu has similar technology installed at the Electric Ave in Portland OR. For the user it is transparent, not sure how the demand charges were affected.

Randy said:
In the San Diego area, in order to eliminate demand charges, a couple of things would have to occur.
It's probably possible to stay on the demand charge rate schedule (AL TOU) and end up with a lower charge than the A rate if you can flatten out your demand enough or shift load from peak hours to non-peak hours. If I could ever figure out how to read the AL TOU rate schedule I could probably calculate what'd be required!

Back