The Frequent and Irrational dissing towards EV "Proponents"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clint

I have recently noticed what seems to be an aggressive disdain for all things EV lately when reading blogs, articles, etc. pertaining to the alternative energy industry. One such example I came across was an article on Forbes.com written by a fella named Michael Lynch:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellynch/2013/11/19/electric-vehicle-myths-5-money-not-well-spent/

I mean, this guy has a whole series of recent articles with an apparent agenda to poo-poo EVs. At first, I just ignored them, but this past weekend he struck a nerve in the last paragraph of his message in the article linked above. So, I decided to share my thoughts with him. To see my comment, you'll have to click the "Expand all Comments" link because he's probably not going to flag it as a "called-out" item which would make it too prominent.

Thoughts?

Michael Lynch pops up every now and then and it's always anti-EV and pro-oil. If you look into his past you'll see that he's been a part of the oil industry for some time. Those comments are pretty funny since he dismisses criticism as an ad hominem fallacy, but fails to realize that ad hominem isn't always fallacious and in this case is certainly relevant. Logic 101 (well, Philosophy 6 when I took it!).

Any event, the guy is clearly a troll writing for Forbes which is a sounding board for people who fancy themselves to be savvy investors, but are generally old fogies who cling to their outdated ideas. I have friends who are in the finance industry and they consider Forbes a joke. So I think it's safe to just treat Mr. Lynch as the troll he is and resist the temptation to feed him. His presence and attitude in the comments indicates that he gets a kick out of sitting atop his supposed high horse and being dismissive of the proletariat.

Devin said:
Michael Lynch pops up every now and then and it's always anti-EV and pro-oil. If you look into his past you'll see that he's been a part of the oil industry for some time. Those comments are pretty funny since he dismisses criticism as an ad hominem fallacy, but fails to realize that ad hominem isn't always fallacious and in this case is certainly relevant. Logic 101 (well, Philosophy 6 when I took it!).

Any event, the guy is clearly a troll writing for Forbes which is a sounding board for people who fancy themselves to be savvy investors, but are generally old fogies who cling to their outdated ideas. I have friends who are in the finance industry and they consider Forbes a joke. So I think it's safe to just treat Mr. Lynch as the troll he is and resist the temptation to feed him. His presence and attitude in the comments indicates that he gets a kick out of sitting atop his supposed high horse and being dismissive of the proletariat.

Well put.

Devin said:

+1

I was neutral about Forbes before reading your post. Then I got curious and after reading Lynch's article I now have zero respect for them anymore.

Back