TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Clearly the stock is through the roof. This is the place to discuss TSLA stock price, short squeezes, who got a three-bagger, coulda-should-woulda, etc. and leave the model S thread for discussion about the car and other Tesla matters.

I'll start. Does a short squeeze really account for this level of price movement? Or is there something else in the offing, like a strategic partnership? My bet is Google.

I'll continue shorting TSLA-----until I am financially unable to continue do so. I expect to be a multi-millionaire within the next year or so. Just call me "big gonads".

OK I bought Tesla at 26 and sold at 86 today. That ALMOST covers the loss I had on A123 :eek:

I'm going long on Tesla, but then again, that's my general stock strategy irregardless; I tend not to buy stocks just because I expect to make a killing in short order. I think the company has some long-distance legs and the only thing that would immediately dissuade me of that would be if Musk decided to part ways with the company. I certainly realize he's not the entirety of the business, but I'm coming to realize the importance of charismatic, visionary leaders.

As with the A123 comment, I'm still trying to recover from an early investment in Ballard Power...

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'll start. Does a short squeeze really account for this level of price movement?
I think it's most of it. The movements have been absolutely huge. Sure, there are some people piling in to chase or take advantage of the gains.

It's too bad I don't own any. :(

I wonder where the stock will top out and when it'll start reversing direction?

derkraut said:
I'll continue shorting TSLA-----until I am financially unable to continue do so. I expect to be a multi-millionaire within the next year or so. Just call me "big gonads".

I would tend to agree with you that if ever there was a time to short it, now is it. But, I won't bet on it, either way. Too volatile for me, plus I already made a little bags of nuggets on TSLA (long, $20-$34)

derkraut said:
Well, we'll see what you will called in the coming weeks...

I don't have position, but when the wait list dries up, if they don't have another pony trick, you may be right.

On the other hand, myself, I am very glad to not be short on Tesla. Anything could happen, like a major could buy them.

I bought it at 28 - I'm quite happy with this hockey stick graph!

I prefer to betting *WITH* Elon Musk than against him. Remind me to pick up some SpaceX when it IPOs. :)

derkraut said:

You are quite welcome to.
Since October shorts have lost 1.4 Billion dollars.
Frankly, IF I were a betting man in short term trends I would short it as well.
However the interest on those shorts is high and who knows when it will correct?

As for the stock price, IMO some of it is short calling, but some is also the company not only having its first profitable quarter, and also the huge rating from CR late last week.

I am long TSLA as I believe even after the correction, it will regain these values and continue to increase.

derkraut said:
Personally, I think you're nuts, although if you're adding to your short position now, maybe you're not as nuts.

LONG ago, I'd shorted some stocks here and there. I ended up losing WAY more money than I gained. I didn't understand short squeezes back then. I avoid shorting stocks now.

IMHO, if you're going to make bearish bets on a stock, you're better off doing it w/options plays where your risks are defined and limited (e.g. buying put spreads or selling call spreads) vs. being exposed to potentially unlimited risk. One's gains can also be much larger for a given amount risked. However, leverage can cut in the other direction as well, on a %-basis.

derkraut said:

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou for helping me pay for my Model S, I really appreciate it :)
I've locked in $19K of profit so far, and my current shares are up $38 over what I bought them at a few weeks ago. BTW, TSLA hit a 52 week high in after hours trading tonight, $90/share

My Model S will soon have been paid for with TSLA profits, how sweet it is.

We have an entire "investors subforum" over at TMC, you guys should check it out if you are serious.

Edit: here is an interesting view:
http://www.streetinsider.com/Analys...+is+the+New+Porsche-VW+-+Analyst/8332355.html

In this article Randy Carlson shows Teslas long term plan on how they'll make money replacing the ICE, giving away free energy to licensee's of their technology:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1300141-supercharging-tesla

mitch672 said:
derkraut said:

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou for helping me pay for my Model S, I really appreciate it :)

derkaut, thanks to you from me too ! I'm close to getting my next car - Model X thanks to you.

BTW, moved the thread from offtopic.

To all longs in an appreciated position ask yourself which scenario would leave you with greater regret, selling now and missing a run to 500 or not selling and enduring a pullback to 8. I wouldn't presume to advise anyone given the blunders I've made.

LTLFTcomposite said:
To all longs in an appreciated position ask yourself which scenario would leave you with greater regret, selling now and missing a run to 500 or not selling and enduring a pullback to 8. I wouldn't presume to advise anyone given the blunders I've made.
Set proper limits.

As Cramer likes to say "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."
evnow said:
Set proper limits.
Yep. If I had a long position w/big gains, I'd set some stop loss and/or stop limit orders at various price levels. Even if they get hit and your stock gets sold, if you're bullish on it, you can always buy more, possibly at lower levels than where they're set.

cwerdna said:
As Cramer likes to say "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."
The same Cramer who was bullish on Bear Stearns a day before it went bankrupt and caused wall street panic (and trillion $ bailout) in 2008 ;)

evnow said:
cwerdna said:
The same Cramer who was bullish on Bear Stearns a day before it went bankrupt and caused wall street panic (and trillion $ bailout) in 2008 ;)

And who famously said in the movie "Revenge of the Electric Cars" to not buy TSLA at the IPO.

Back