EV Sales Down 80% In Denmark For 2016 After Tax Policy Change

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Just another confirmation (if one were needed) that PEVs remain dependent on subsidies for sales. Via IEVS:http://insideevs.com/ev-sales-down-80-in-denmark-for-2016-after-tax-policy-change/

Denmark plug-in electric car sales have been subdued this year, as the government decided to gradually end the plug-in exemption from a normally steep 180% tax.

As one can see from the chart above, consumers rushed to buy EVs in November and December or last year, avoiding the first 20% tax wave beginning in January. Mid-way through 2016 (June) sales of plug-in cars stand at only 288 units sold for the first 6 months, compared to 1,299 year ago, off almost 80% (data via EV Sales Blog). . . .

No - just another proof that if you announce 20% price hike for a product from X date, almost everyone who intends to buy it will do so before that price hike.

Rebel44 said:
No - just another proof that if you announce 20% price hike for a product from X date, almost everyone who intends to buy it will do so before that price hike.
You don't think the fact that despite a 180% discount (now only 160%) plus various other perks compared to ICEs, PEVs are unable to sell anything near a majority of new vehicles, doesn't show that they're dependent on subsidies? I've often said that if you gave Hummers a similar level of subsidy in this country, they'd be the best-selling LDV in the country (pushing the perennial winner, the Ford F-150 pickup, down to second place).

Back