President Obama proposes 50% increase in spending on clean transportation, funded by $10/barrel tax on oil

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
DuncanCunningham said:
It's about $1.80 per US gallon in Utah right now.
I saw $1.629/gallon here a few days ago. And we have higher prices here than the Denver area (they are down to $1.30/gallon).

I'm not sure how many gallons of gasoline come from a 42 gallon barrel of oil, but $10/barrel would be a rather small price increase.
$10/barrel would add ~$0.24 to the price of a gallon of gas. Re how much gas from a barrel of oil, here you go:
Refineries in the United States produced an average of about 12 gallons of diesel fuel and 19 gallons of gasoline from one barrel (42 gallons) of crude oil in 2014. Many other petroleum products are also refined from crude oil. Refinery yields of individual products vary from month to month as refiners focus operations to meet demand for different products and to maximize profits.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=327&t=9

I think Obama's real reason for the tax is to pay for the lawsuit brought against the US for denying the building of the pipeline. Canadian interests are suing the government for 15 Billion... :)

jpadc said:
o00scorpion00o said:
So that would make it about 5.40 USD per U.S Gallon here.

I bet if people had to pay that price they'd change to EV pretty fast !
Yes, people making $17k a year (Median income for hispanics in Indiana) buy a lot of new cars, or $15k used ones. I'm sure they are fine with $5-$6 per gallon gas too. Its not like they need food or rent money or anything.

It's always hard for the less well off but the less well off have to pay much higher taxes here on most things , the poorer in society here drive smaller much more fuel efficient cars.

cheap fuel promotes waste, like I say why do people need 3.0 - 5.0 L engines to drive to work or to go shopping or ahve huge pickups or SUV's ? because they can and it's their right and that's fair enough but it's a huge waste, I do like to know why people think cheap fuel is some kind of right ?

Here we have much less tax on heating fuel because heating your home is far more essential than driving around in 5.0 L.

One way for me to beat the huge fuel taxes was to buy the Leaf and I'm delighted I did !

Latest posts

Back