Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GregH said:
Nissan was able to get the ball rolling on DCQC infrastructure by installing chargers at their dealerships.
Many dealerships are right off the freeway and thus great places for quick refueling...

Perhaps if Toyota believes in the Mirai the way Nissan believes in the Leaf, they could spend the money and real estate at some of their upscale dealerships to install H2 stations.
You realize that's already being done? Look up a few pages - Guys' got it covered. ;)

The CA infrastructure project isn't to deploy an 'entire' infrastructure - it's only to scatter some 'starter stations'. Don't get wrapped up in the paranoia of a tiny few here with business ties to BEV infrastructure.

Note also that in the piece I linked about the Tx H2 infrastructure, that all of the money provided by the state has been to support 'private' infrastructure for businesses and fleets but not the general public? Which do you prefer? ;)

GregH said:
Nissan was able to get the ball rolling on DCQC infrastructure by installing chargers at their dealerships.
Many dealerships are right off the freeway and thus great places for quick refueling...

Perhaps if Toyota believes in the Mirai the way Nissan believes in the Leaf, they could spend the money and real estate at some of their upscale dealerships to install H2 stations.

+1.

Toyota and others are going where the eggs are. As a casual observer, CARB seems to prefer laying the H2 variety.

AndyH said:
Mike, I appreciate your response. Thanks for taking the time.

For you and the others that have weighed in: The view appears to be that the renewable fuel infrastructure funds are limited and this that any money spend on H2 is taking electrons away from BEVs.

- In order to support that, one would have to show us that the alt fueling account is no longer being fed from collected taxes. Has that happened?
- Additionally, for the H2 infrastructure to be negatively harming BEV infrastructure, we'd either need to see some indication that BEV infrastructure has been reduced, or we'd need to see that the alt fuel fund account balance is down to close to zero.

These are not logically consistent statements to test the premise that spending H2 received has harmed EV adoption.

What would need to be shown is that the CARB budget is limited (which has been shown).
That if less money were spent on H2 more money could have been spent on EV adoption.

The second is an assumption. However, since the $200 Million budget does not dictate what amount of funds goes to each area.

In addition, the CARB credit structure being changed has also greatly favored H2 over EVs. This has nothing to do with the money CARB is doling out. However it does show the bias CARB has to H2 where a much faster reduction in GHGs could be made by speeding the adoption of EVs with even half the money they are throwing to H2.

Zythryn said:
AndyH said:

For you and the others that have weighed in: The view appears to be that the renewable fuel infrastructure funds are limited and this that any money spend on H2 is taking electrons away from BEVs.

- In order to support that, one would have to show us that the alt fueling account is no longer being fed from collected taxes. Has that happened?
- Additionally, for the H2 infrastructure to be negatively harming BEV infrastructure, we'd either need to see some indication that BEV infrastructure has been reduced, or we'd need to see that the alt fuel fund account balance is down to close to zero.

These are not logically consistent statements to test the premise that spending H2 received has harmed EV adoption.

What would need to be shown is that the CARB budget is limited (which has been shown).
That if less money were spent on H2 more money could have been spent on EV adoption.

The second is an assumption. However, since the $200 Million budget does not dictate what amount of funds goes to each area.

In addition, the CARB credit structure being changed has also greatly favored H2 over EVs. This has nothing to do with the money CARB is doling out. However it does show the bias CARB has to H2 where a much faster reduction in GHGs could be made by speeding the adoption of EVs with even half the money they are throwing to H2.
So you're suggesting that it's better to assume and then react rather than work from data?

AndyH said:
So you're suggesting that it's better to assume and then react rather than work from data?

Just the opposite, I'm suggesting you start working from data.

The data we have is that:

CARB has a budget of $200 Million
CARB has doled out $46 Million of that to H2 and $13(?) Million to BEV infrastructure.

Do you have data showing that CARB's overall budget would decline if they didn't give $46 Million to H2?
Why not give $28.5 Million to H2 and $28.5 Million to BEV?

Zythryn said:
AndyH said:

Just the opposite, I'm suggesting you start working from data.

The data we have is that:

CARB has a budget of $200 Million
CARB has doled out $46 Million of that to H2 and $13(?) Million to BEV infrastructure.

Do you have data showing that CARB's overall budget would decline if they didn't give $46 Million to H2?
Why not give $28.5 Million to H2 and $28.5 Million to BEV?
I prefer to work with all the data - and I think it's an absolute requirement that ALL be put on the table before one starts to cherry-pick. ;)

I asked my question many times initially in hopes that someone here - anyone here! - had done their homework and had actual data to support their position. Clearly that's not the case. What's also clear is that it doesn't seem to matter to many here at all. And that, Zythryn, scares me - because an ill-informed mob can do a lot of damage - and we ran out of time to recover from ill-informed mobs sometime in the early 1970s.

I'll leave you guys to your gnashing of teeth.

Zythryn said:
GRA, I don't believe anyone here has said hydrogen research should stop, or that it has no applications.
Most here, myself included, feel hydrogen for the light vehicle fleet is foolish.

Andy further stokes the fire by grouping others who don't agree with him and calling them the "give me battery or give me death" crew.
This is of course, silly. Any of us would like to see alternatives that work.
What many of us hate seeing is for the Fuel Cell industry guiding policy in CA and giving a disproportionate amount of funds to FCEVs.
This not only gives lousy return on investment, it slows the adoption of other alternatives.

Can you imagine how many CHAdeMO chargers 46 Million could buy?
You could develope a much better working quick charge network and distribute it throughout CA for that.

Instead we will see that money used to build 46 stations to support 2-3 thousand cars over the next three years.

If that isn't a boondoggle I don't know what is.
I don't see it as a boondoggle, , nor do I see it impeding the roll-out of CHAdeMO or CCS. I've seen no indication of any slowdown in government funding or research for QC infrastructure or battery research due to money being diverted to fuel cells and H2; they have both been funded - I don't post battery or related research government grant awards in this thread, but they continue in the tens or hundreds of millions every year, both state and federal.

If we've seen one thing so far with the rollout of pay at site QCs, it's that there doesn't appear to be a business case for them absent government subsidies, and I suspect the pay up front model that Tesla uses is not viable once you start talking about mass market-priced cars. Of course, CHAdeMO has been deployed incredibly badly, but I don't think that's the major problem preventing pay at site QC from being a viable business.

OTOH, as I've said many times we know that the gas station 'pay at the pump' retail business model works, and (provided they can get the price of renewably-produced H2 down to compete with gas, which is the determining factor in the success of _all_ fossil fuel competitors absent serious prohibitions on fossil fuel use), H2 can piggyback onto that model with minimal problems. Everybody's situation is different, but whenever I see people extolling the advantages of home charging I think 'but the majority of the world's population is urban, and (as in my case) most of them don't own multiple cars that allow them to choose the car for the job, or live in a detached, single family home with a garage with convenient electric plugs that they own - when will affordable, universally usable BEVs be available, and how many years will it take to provide the necessary public infrastructure to support them'? Is there a profitable business model for it? And how much real estate will we continue to demand just to park/charge our cars?

Many here repeat claims that H2 is far too costly and will take far too long to build out the infrastructure. I pointed out upthread that we were able to go from 1 gas station in the U.S. to well over one hundred thousand in a couple of decades, and unlike the case then we needn't start from scratch - much of the retail fueling real estate already exists, is in the right places and, thanks to people in the U.S. reducing their per-capita VMT plus better overall fleet mileage for the past decade or so, there's been a lot of excess capacity at gas stations causing many to close. H2 additions/conversions to those stations will be fairly straightforward, as is being demonstrated in California now, including the initial H2 fueling station in my city.

People who talk about the lower efficiency of H2 versus just using electricity to charge batteries have a valid point (I've provided links on research to reduce or eliminate that efficiency difference, but it's impossible to know at this stage if that will ever be achieved), and I think most of us agree that if you only need a local commuter/errand runner car, batteries are better (with the proviso that you have somewhere to charge it). However, Andy and I believe that efficiency without capability is irrelevant, and for a civilization that considers that a car has the capabilities of an ICE, which can be used near universally, trying to convince them that a much more limited capability is acceptable is a far harder task than providing them with a vehicle with the same capabilities as an ICE that uses a different energy source.

Maybe battery proponents will be correct, and the true, affordable breakthrough battery really is just around the corner, this time. I certainly hope so, and prospects are better than they ever have been before. But having lived with the extravagant claims of AE proponents since the late '80s and seen them repeatedly fall short, well, I may be a native Californian but when it comes to such forecasts of impending performance/price breakthroughs I'm from Missouri - Show Me. That holds true for batteries, fuel cells, and any other tech flavor of the week/month/year. Until we reach the point where we can all agree that tech X means we just don't need ICEs anymore, I think it's simple prudence to keep as many irons in the fire as look like having a reasonable chance of success.

In any case, regardless of what opinions anyone here may hold as to whether it's a waste of money or prudent insurance, the experiment with H2 LDVs is going forward, in Japan, Germany, the U.K., California and along the northeast corridor. I look forward to seeing the results, whatever they may be.

In the meantime, I'll just provide this Thomas Edison quote from Feb 1883, showing that the more things change the more they stay the same:

"The storage battery is, in my opinion, a catchpenny, a sensation, a mechanism for swindling the public by stock companies. The storage battery is one of those peculiar things which appeals to the imagination, and no more perfect thing could be desired by stock swindlers than that very selfsame thing. ... Just as soon as a man gets working on the secondary battery it brings out his latent capacity for lying. ... Scientifically, storage is all right, but, commercially, as absolute a failure as one can imagine."
Not too many years after saying that, Edison was himself making premature claims of having 'solved' the storage battery problem for electric cars, with his initially failed and ultimately improved but no breakthrough Nickel-Iron battery. I'm sure I could dig up similar quotes from fuel cell proponents and opponents over the past forty years or so, but can't be bothered.

Zythryn said:
AndyH said:

I know we've covered this ground before, but here goes. CARB used to give Tesla extra credits for fast refueling 'capability', but decided that the test should be some actual fast 'refueling' infrastructure and use of same, which is why Tesla is now (finally) building the battery swap station they first said they were going to do what, 18 months ago? Poor Tesla, mean old CARB insisting that customers be able to use battery swap in the real world instead of just at a glitzy demo on a stage.

As to giving H2 more credits, it's at an earlier stage of development, and I'm okay with that for a couple of years just as I was okay with giving BEVs $5,000 for the first couple of years, but then progressively cutting back (not cut back enough yet, IMO).

A couple of years down the road, and I'll be against extra credits for H2 as well, but not now.

I think the whole discussion about FCEV is wrong.

We should look at FCEV as a fossil fuel car - something like a CNG vehicle. Just more expensive and a lot more needed in infrastructure to get working.

News of a plugin FCEV put this in the right perspective for me.

Since I've previously linked to GCR's "10 Questions on Hydrogen Fuel-cell cars to ask Toyota, Honda and Hyundai" and the replies, it seems appropriate to list a fuel cell advocate's similar list of questions for BEV advocates, also mentioned at GCR. Basically all the points we've covered here ad nauseum, but for the sake of completeness:
10 Battery Electric Car Questions For GreenCarReports
http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/7219/10-battery-electric-car-questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the topic of FC buses vs. BE buses was recently raised, more interesting for me was this article, http://www.fuelcelltoday.com/analysis/analyst-views/2013/13-01-16-fuel-cells-and-the-future-of-global-bus-fleets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although hardly from an unbiased source, it compares different AFV buses including two types of BE bus, and references this 2012 DoE report comparing real-world experience of FCEBs and CNG and diesel-hybrid buses:
Fuel Cell Buses in U.S. Transit
Fleets: Current Status 2012
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/fceb_status_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately no info in the DoE report comparing them to BEBs, so I'm going to trawl the DoE website and see if they've got any recent comparative data. [Edit] Nothing yet, but I did find this transcript of a webinar from 2013 titled Fuel Cell buses: http://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/webinar-fuel-cell-buses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's well worth the read.

Added: Still no luck, but did find this 'CHARGED' article from earlier this year, which gives a general comparison and (I think) largely reflects my and Andy's take:
Fuel cells vs batteries for vehicle powertrains
http://chargedevs.com/features/fuel-cell-vs-battery-electric-vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elsewhere, found this interview with the head of First Element:
Ewanick's next bold bet: Hydrogen stations
Former GM exec jumps into clean-car 'endgame'
http://www.autonews.com/article/20141117/OEM02/311179963/ewanicks-next-bold-bet:-hydrogen-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
Since I've previously linked to GCR's "10 Questions on Hydrogen Fuel-cell cars to ask Toyota, Honda and Hyundai" and the replies, it seems appropriate to list a fuel cell advocate's similar list of questions for BEV advocates, also mentioned at GCR. Basically all the points we've covered here ad nauseum, but for the sake of completeness:
10 Battery Electric Car Questions For GreenCarReports
http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/7219/10-battery-electric-car-questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ten easily-answered questions:
Jason Lancaster said:
1. Why do BEV advocates cling to a highly irrelevant electricity efficiency argument? The argument goes like this:

Separating hydrogen from water is a great way to drive without contributing CO2 to the atmosphere, but it “wastes” electricity
Therefore, making hydrogen isn’t a “good use” of electricity…that energy should be stored in a battery pack instead.
The trouble with this argument is that it doesn’t acknowledge a fundamental economic reality: battery packs are expensive, but electricity is cheap. The relative efficiency of using hydrogen as a transportation fuel vs. electricity as a transportation fuel can’t be discussed in a vacuum. If wind energy costs less than 4 cents per kW, it’s likely cheaper to “waste” that electricity separating hydrogen than it is to buy expensive battery packs.

In other words, “waste” has nothing to do with it. Economics is the only concern.
Anyone who believes that efficiency is "irrelevant" and that "waste has nothing to do with it" really doesn't understand the problems that face our society. The only way to reduce pollution is to reduce our overall impact on this planet. This is accomplished by selecting the lowest-impact solution for any given application. Let's be clear: FCEVs are currently the HIGHEST-IMPACT solution to the problem of commuting.
Jason Lancaster said:
2. Why do BEV advocates insist on contrasting the Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model S, etc. with FCVs? Don’t they know that 97% of the vehicles on the road today are powered by gasoline or diesel? Doesn’t it make more sense to compare both FCVs and BEVs to the market leader than to one another?
No, it doesn't make any sense. ICEs are what is currently being replaced. We need to select the most appropriate technologies to replace them.
Jason Lancaster said:
3. Why assume that refueling time is the only advantage FCVs have over BEVs? We created a nice little FAQ here that explained fuel cell stack costs are expected to be cost-comparable to gas-powered hybrids in just a few years (2018). FCVs aren’t just going to be fast and easy to refuel. They’re going to have lower up-front costs than BEVs too.
iME, fuel cell vehicles will NEVER have lower up-front costs than BEVs. The cost of refueling infrastructure ensures that fact.
Jason Lancaster said:
4. Why do FCV critics ignore all the investment in (and excitement for) fuel cell technology outside of transportation? Fuel cells aren’t just for cars – they’re being used to create grid-sized power stations, industrial power generation, fork lifts, buses, etc., and the technology is being pursued by industrial heavyweights like GE, Microsoft, and (ahem) Toyota.
That is a non sequitur argument if it is used to support the idea that we should spend a fortune to implement fuel-cell technology. Would it make sense for me to list the applications which use batteries?
Jason Lancaster said:
5. Why don’t BEV advocates understand that fuel cells are the only workable technology for trucks and large SUVs? The energy density of battery packs makes their use in large vehicles unlikely – this is why fuel cell powered buses a better option than battery electric buses (according to the US DOE). Even unabashed BEV advocates acknowledge that fuel cells are best for larger vehicles.

Can’t we have FCVs in the mix, if for no other reason than to use them in big vehicles?
Show me the BEV advocate who said that fuel cells will not likely be the best solution for fleet applications.
Jason Lancaster said:
6. Why don’t BEV advocates acknowledge that battery chemistry has stagnated? The CEO LG Chem – one of the largest battery manufacturers in the world – says that “we’ll have lithium ion for at least the next 10 to 15 years“, suggesting that today’s lithium ion battery technology is in no danger of taking a giant leap forward anytime soon. Yet BEV advocates assume that Tesla, Nissan, etc. will somehow significantly increase BEV range and decrease cost over the next 3-5 years.

How are BEV manufacturers going to accomplish significant improvements with the same old battery chemistry? And why is the CEO of LG Chem soft-pedaling the possibility of future advances?
Battery technology has not stagnated. Any belief that batteries will not improve steadily is not founded on reality.
Jason Lancaster said:
7. Why are BEV advocates so willing to overlook battery range problems? Most BEVs that have been sold in the last few years struggle to live up to their published range – one need only read GreenCarReports.com to see that.

Why don’t BEV advocates acknowledge that BEVs might not ever be feasible for climates with wide temperature variations (aka most of the planet), and/or that they may have long-term degradation problems?
I'm willing to overlook battery range problems because my family can make over 90% of our trips and drive over 75% of our miles in a limited-range BEV and do it at much higher efficiency than using any other (non-human-powered) alternative.
Jason Lancaster said:
8. Why do BEV advocates talk so much about the lack of hydrogen infrastructure? We’re in the earliest stages of FCV use. Saying that FCVs are “doomed” because of a lack of fueling points is like saying that the very first gasoline powered cars should never have succeeded.

Here’s a gas station from the earliest days of the automobile. Note the horse-drawn cart. We didn’t used to have gasoline infrastructure, either.

Infrastructure isn’t an insurmountable obstacle. No one had ever heard of a gas station in 1900.
We talk about the lack of infrastructure because the infrastructure adds over $15,000 to put each one of the inefficient FCVs onto the road.
Jason Lancaster said:
9. Why does Elon Musk criticize FCVs so regularly? If Musk is right and FCVs are “fool cells,” than he wouldn’t give them a second thought, right? Musk doth protest too much, don’t you think?
Promoting his company's solution over alternatives is the role of any corporate CEO.
Jason Lancaster said:
10. Why can’t Tesla and Nissan Leaf fans just relax? What’s with all the hate? Even *if* battery packs become the best option for most cars, it’s likely that fuel cells will power pickup trucks, large SUVs, and probably even some cars too.

Can’t we all just get along?
The ire stems from the incredible waste that is being foisted on the public under the guise of protecting the environment at the huge opportunity cost of slowing the adoption of the most appropriate solution: BEVs.

Great job, Reg.

I'm going to go hop in one of my four 100% EV cars and drive from my 100% solar powered house to pick up some stuff.

Oh, and I won't be spewing any pollutants, nor was CO2 released to power my trip. Gosh, and I can do this without H2. Oh, the humanity!!!

Agree with your responses Reg, I'd just like to have a go myself on a few additional points....

Jason Lancaster said:
The trouble with this argument is that it doesn’t acknowledge a fundamental economic reality: battery packs are expensive, but electricity is cheap.
errr.... 'ang on a minute. How expensive are fuel cells? How many miles per $ do you get out of them, lifecycle-wise?

Jason Lancaster said:
3. Why assume that refueling time is the only advantage FCVs have over BEVs? We created a nice little FAQ here that explained fuel cell stack costs are expected to be cost-comparable to gas-powered hybrids in just a few years (2018).
Yeah. And BEVs are destined to be even cheaper. Why not deal with the reality, today, and let the market work through what works best. Work out an even-handed way to pump-prime the relative technologies, and let's see who wins out.

Jason Lancaster said:
4. Why do FCV critics ignore all the investment in (and excitement for) fuel cell technology outside of transportation? Fuel cells aren’t just for cars – they’re being used to create grid-sized power stations, industrial power generation, fork lifts, buses, etc., and the technology is being pursued by industrial heavyweights like GE, Microsoft, and (ahem) Toyota.
RegGuheert said:
Would it make sense for me to list the applications which use batteries?
Love that response! Why do we ignore the investment potential outside automotive? Like, batteries could be Really Useful Things if they were used for other stuff, maybe? :lol:

Jason Lancaster said:
5. Why don’t BEV advocates understand that fuel cells are the only workable technology for trucks and large SUVs?
What are large SUVs a solution to?

There is an issue for heavy freight, but it's also a huge problem for FC too. Show me how big and expensive a 300kW fuel cell is, and how much space it takes to store 500kg of hydrogen, because that's the sort of energy storage needed to compete with heavy trucks.

The most logical solution would be to have electrified roads. Heavy freight are the largest trucks on the road, so just build them overhead power lines. Not sure how it would work out, but it looks more practical to me than hydrogen.

It'd make more sense to take the hydrogen you've made and bung it through a Fischer-Tropsch and make synthetic diesel.

Jason Lancaster said:
6. Why don’t BEV advocates acknowledge that battery chemistry has stagnated? The CEO LG Chem – one of the largest battery manufacturers in the world – says that “we’ll have lithium ion for at least the next 10 to 15 years“, suggesting that today’s lithium ion battery technology is in no danger of taking a giant leap forward anytime soon.
That's so misunderstanding the technology it's hilarious. There are many flavours of lithium battery technology, some are theoretically several times the capacity of current batteries. In fact, today's batteries are theoretically a factor or two better than reality, so capacity could double if a fuller understanding of how to get the most from Li is gained.

Jason Lancaster said:
7. Why are BEV advocates so willing to overlook battery range problems? 
Because there are work-arounds when larger range is needed? What work-arounds do FCEV folks have planned when they are in the middle of nowhere between H2 stations? Don't knock it 'til you've been there yourself!

Jason Lancaster said:
Can’t we all just get along?
Sure we can! So swipe that cash off those far eastern companies and give St. Musk his prize money for making a battery swappable Model S. Do that first, then we'll talk about getting along.

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:
Great job, Reg.
Agree, great job!
Agreed, Reg - great job. The quote formatting looked good, each quote had a response, and the overall readability was decent. To make it better, I recommend adding a disclaimer at the top along the lines of "this response contains personal opinions that are not and cannot be supported with facts or references. Not to be used for planning, problem solving, or any other function that impacts the existence of life on this planet."

Like this?

Jason Lancaster said:
9. Why does Elon Musk criticize FCVs so regularly? If Musk is right and FCVs are “fool cells,” than he wouldn’t give them a second thought, right? Musk doth protest too much, don’t you think?

10. Why can’t Tesla and Nissan Leaf fans just relax? What’s with all the hate?

* This list contains personal opinions that are not and cannot be supported with facts or references. Not to be used for planning, problem solving, or any other function that impacts the existence of life on this planet.

Veering way off the current debate for a sec..

Do any of the proposed FCEVs provide potable exhaust?
Wouldn't a 60mi/kg FCEV make about 5oz of water per mile?
Imagine the savings in bottled water.. :?

GregH said:
Veering way off the current debate for a sec..

Do any of the proposed FCEVs provide potable exhaust?
Wouldn't a 60mi/kg FCEV make about 5oz of water per mile?
Imagine the savings in bottled water.. :?
I can't remember where I read it, but there was some discussion of capturing the water onboard. I don't remember all the issues, but I think the requirement for the customer to regularly empty the tank was one of them, plus the high cost for miniscule return. [Edit: Did find this, FWIW: http://www.roperld.com/science/fuelcellspollution.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had wondered about the amount of water vapor being generated and what the macro-scale effects might be (don't want to turn L.A. into Atlanta), but read this sometime back and have ceased to worry about it:

Once transformed into a hydrogen-powered society, will the combined amount of water vapor from fuel cells cause environmental or climate problems?

The Union of Concerned Scientists have issued a report stating that, "If the entire U.S. passenger vehicle fleet were powered by hydrogen FCVs (fuel cell vehicles), the amount of water emitted annually (assuming no losses) would be 0.005% the rate of natural evapotranspiration, water that is released by plants during photosynthesis, in the continental U.S."

Meanwhile, here's a just released UCS paper titled
The Importance of Both Battery Electric and Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles:
Complementary Technologies for Cutting Oil Use and Carbon Emissions
http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2014/11/importance-bev-hfcev-fact-sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering the preferential effect of the CARB traveling provisions for Hydrogen

Come 2018 (or whenever) and Hydrogen Vehicle retain traveling provisions but Electric Vehicles lose theirs.
Then the automakers makers in each signatory state must sell sufficient in each state to avoid fines. Collectively there will be states where EV sales are low, and states where EV sales are high. So the usefulness of most automaker's EV's CARB credits is reduced because they may lack them in other states. But the development dollars spent on Hydrogen Vehicles would (even if the vehicles were donated to the public) appear to have reduced risk if the automakers thought that they could not sell enough Electric Vehicles in each of the non Californian CARB states.

So as an insurance policy an automaker may provide H2 vehicles ex gratis to Californian's to make up for short sales in other CARB states.

Todate only Tesla sells AWD EVs and only Mitsubishi sell AWD PHEVs. Some the the snow country CARB states may have low Electric Vehicle sales and as such the traveling provisions become a key method for CARB to implement a discrimination against EVs by explicitly providing traveling credits for Hydrogen Vehicles but removing traveling credits for Electric Vehicles.

On the bright side, its good news for Tesla and Mitsubishi shareholders. The non-existent demand (1 car /month Hyundai/Honda) for hydrogen cars that need to paid portends that Tesla and Mitsubishi will have plenty of demand for non Californian CARB credits.

Via GCR:
Volkswagen Golf SportWagen HyMotion: Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Concept At LA Auto Show
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095612_volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-hymotion-hydrogen-fuel-cell-concept-at-la-auto-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Via GCC:
Lux Research: fuel cell vehicles lag other drivetrains in terms of cost of ownership; ICE and HEV lowest cost
Based on an analysis of various cost of ownership scenarios for various drivetrains, including internal combustion engine (ICE) gasoline and diesel; hybrid (HEV); battery-electric (EV); plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV); and fuel cell vehicles, Lux Research concludes that fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) are “solidly in a laggard position.”

The Lux analysts ran scenarios associated with operation and ownership, broken out into fuel cost alone; fuel cost plus operation, but excluding purchase or lease; and fuel cost plus operation, including purchase or lease (total ownership cost). When looking at fuel cost only, EVs lead the way due to the relatively low price of electricity, followed by various types of hybrids (HEVs and PHEVs). Fuel cell vehicles can match EV fuel costs at $3/kg dispensed H2—a price highly unlikely in near-term, Lux said.

When including purchase price (broken out as a five-year loan at 6% interest plus 10% down-payment) in the scenario, the HEV and ICE drivetrains lead in terms of affordability, with EVs and low-cost FCVs behind.

A $30,000 price point and hydrogen at $3/kg makes the FCV option less costly than both the PHEV and EV option, and approaching the cost of ownership of ICE and HEV drivetrains. However, Lux notes, this optimistic case requires a major OEM to commit to producing hundreds of thousands of units, independent of proven demand, with an EV-like $5+ billion risk (similar to Nissan-Renault or Tesla-Panasonic factories) that built huge scale first. There is no guarantee to OEMs that such a risky bet would work out, Lux cautions. . . .
Rest at http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/11/20141123-luxh2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back