Level 3 Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianShipman

Hi All

New to the forum. Quick question.

I believe I will qualify for a free home charger thru the EV Project (level 2), but I have seen several references in other threads that the participants in the EV Project might possibly get a free level 3 charger as well? I was under the impression that not only would the level 3 charger be a pricey option, but that you could only order it with the nicer trim level.

Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

Brian

BrianShipman said:
Hi All

New to the forum. Quick question.

I believe I will qualify for a free home charger thru the EV Project (level 2), but I have seen several references in other threads that the participants in the EV Project might possibly get a free level 3 charger as well? I was under the impression that not only would the level 3 charger be a pricey option, but that you could only order it with the nicer trim level.

Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

Brian

If you have the EV Project, I understand that you get the L3 charger free no matter the SL or SV. But, if you don't have the EP, then it costs $700 ONLY on the SL.

You don't get the L3 charger you get the charge port on the car, to be specific.

LEAFer said:
I don't think we know yet how much the option costs (or did I miss an official announcement?).

Unofficial, from an attendee at the dealer conference. No on-the-record confirmation of price OR final disposition on availability yet. Official Nissan position as of today:

Option
SL only
Undisclosed price

Here's what I think personally:

Put it in anyway, on all Leafs. You're making them available for Japan and the L3 chargers from the EV Project are all going to be CHAdeMO anyway. Make it the standard by having it already widely used, and in the meantime push the SAE like the dickens for it to be so. And, sure, I've no problem with paying a few bucks for it.

Just did the online chat on Nissanusa.com. Rep said that "It has not been determined yet whether a free L3 charging port will be on all Leafs that are purchased by participants in the EV Project, it will be determined prior to the official launch" He said you will be able to see during the online ordering process. I thought that some people are ordering this month, so I don't know what that means.

Brian

BrianShipman said:
Just did the online chat on Nissanusa.com. Rep said that "It has not been determined yet whether a free L3 charging port will be on all Leafs that are purchased by participants in the EV Project, it will be determined prior to the official launch" He said you will be able to see during the online ordering process. I thought that some people are ordering this month, so I don't know what that means.

Brian

Nissan already knows if they will supply a free L3 charging port in the EV Project areas because I'm pretty sure that it is specified in the EV Project guidelines. The EV Project is funded with Federal money for a purpose, in part, to study the habits of EV owners and what type of infrastructure works best in the test cities. I think that the high speed L3 chargers are part of the study, because it would be hard to study how high speed chargers are used by EV owners if none of the Leafs had L3 ports. ;) Part of the study also involves experimental utility rates that will see how they intice EV owners to charge at home. EV owners in the Project cities also have to give up something in the form of personal data that is collected by the "free" home charger and provided to the Project. So everyone involved has to give up something in return for a slice of the Federal funds, including Nissan.

Frank said:
BrianShipman said:

Brian

Nissan already knows if they will supply a free L3 charging port in the EV Project areas because I'm pretty sure that it is specified in the EV Project guidelines. The EV Project is funded with Federal money for a purpose, in part, to study the habits of EV owners and what type of infrastructure works best in the test cities. I think that the high speed L3 chargers are part of the study, because it would be hard to study how high speed chargers are used by EV owners if none of the Leafs had L3 ports. ;) Part of the study also involves experimental utility rates that will see how they intice EV owners to charge at home. EV owners in the Project cities also have to give up something in the form of personal data that is collected by the "free" home charger and provided to the Project. So everyone involved has to give up something in return for a slice of the Federal funds, including Nissan.

Frank: I believe you are correct; without the L3 charging port, the EV Project data wouldn't make sense. At any rate, we should find out soon.

BrianShipman said:
Just did the online chat on Nissanusa.com. Rep said that "It has not been determined yet whether a free L3 charging port will be on all Leafs that are purchased by participants in the EV Project, it will be determined prior to the official launch"
Brian

Brian, according to this FAQ document on The EV Project web site, all LEAFs in the project will be Level 3 capable (Question 5). I've found that not all Nissan chat representatives have all of the answers, and sometimes they provide inconsistent information. It is unfortunate, but that seems to be the case.

Back