Hi Everyone!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My name is Brian Groves. I am the Dedicated Sales Consultant at Pacific Nissan in San Diego, CA. I am here to learn more about the Leaf and share any behind the scenes infomation I get from Nissan. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as well if I can. Nice to meet you all! :)

PacificNissanBrian said:
My name is Brian Groves. I am the Dedicated Sales Consultant at Pacific Nissan in San Diego, CA. I am here to learn more about the Leaf and share any behind the scenes infomation I get from Nissan. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as well if I can. Nice to meet you all! :)

Greetings from Oceanside, Brian!

I have a question for you: Is Pacific Nissan commited to selling the Leaf to advanced buyers with no dealer mark-up or any extra BS fees?? I'm talking MSRP, tax, title, out the door.

I'm on the 'order in August' list and I'm still looking for a dealer that wants my business. :)

Jimmydreams said:
I have a question for you: Is Pacific Nissan commited to selling the Leaf to advanced buyers with no dealer mark-up or any extra BS fees?? I'm talking MSRP, tax, title, out the door.
Pacific Nissan was the first Nissan Dealership in San Diego to be Leaf Reservation Certified. We have multiple people on our staff that are dedicated to the Leaf and its clientele. Pacific Nissan will be offering the Leaf at MSRP plus all applicable state fees. No hidden costs. No dealer added options. No games. Just GREAT customer service from an established family owned and operated business.

garygid said:
Hi Brian,
We spoke briefly on the phone.
Glad you have joined us.

When will you (the dealership) get a Level 3 charge-station installed?
And if you do ... what "standard" are you going to "pick" ... and if you do what LEAFs will be able to charge there :roll: SV+L3_option ? SL ? SL+L3_option ? None ?

Sorry ... but I am a little frustrated by this L3 vacillation from Nissan. A dealership should be able to tell us for sure what the "deal" is, no ? How much for the "L3_option" (free on SL I hope) ?

Latest L3 word from "Nissan" was that L3 would be part of the SL "option" package, definately, for sure now, but ... that things still might change, and they would let us know ...
probably. :)

In any case, all my "Reservations" are now SL, not SV.

And, it seems that the "option" package for the SL is not really optional, it is "included" on the SL, and apparently not available on the SV. But, other than that, it is an "option"?

LEAFer said:
garygid said:
Hi Brian,
Glad you have joined us.

And if you do ... what "standard" are you going to "pick" ... and if you do what LEAFs will be able to charge there :roll: SV+L3_option ? SL ? SL+L3_option ? None ?

Sorry ... but I am a little frustrated by this L3 vacillation from Nissan. A dealership should be able to tell us for sure what the "deal" is, no ? How much for the "L3_option" (free on SL I hope) ?

I think I can help out a little here.

Nissan has announced nothing on the Level 3 connector because, as of yet, there is no L3 standard in the US. It is as simple as that. All EV Project LEAFs (regardless of trim level) will receive a Level 3 connector according to this FAQ page by ECOtality. (Question 5) Nissan is withholding information about non-EV Project vehicles because there is no US standard. Anything that is printed other than this is speculation. If you were to check Level 3 availability on any coming EV from a major manufacturer, I would be surprised if you found anything other than, "We'll let you know".

The EV Project vehicles (both trim levels) will likely ship with the CHAdeMO connector. This connector will be supplied on Japanese spec vehicles. Nissan has already commited to providing 200 Level 3 stations in Japanese dealerships using the CHAdeMO connector. CHAdeMO was formed by The Tokyo Electric Power Company, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Fuji Heavy Industries (the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles). Toyota joined later. It has yet to be defined as the Level 3 standard in the US.

Speculating now - Whatever standard is adopted in the US, Nissan will make Level 3 connectors optionally available, at least on the upscale SL model. As the vehicle comes standard with a Level 1 cord and a Level 2 connector, it is likely that the Level 3 connector will be priced as a separate option.

It's surprising to me that Nissan would wait for a standard. Most companies would just produce their own proprietary connector which would then become the defacto standard, and others will have to license it off them. :twisted:

To be useful, the car's L3 "socket" connector needs to match the "plug" on the end of the "e-hose" at to-be-installed public Level 3 charging stations (and match the "communication" protocol).

LEAFguy said:
Nissan has announced nothing on the Level 3 connector because, as of yet, there is no L3 standard in the US. It is as simple as that.

LEAFguy, you've done an excellent job summarizing the situation. We've got the background info here on the forum. The two competing connectors are the CHAdeMO/TEPCO connector used in Japan and the in-progress Level 3 addition to the J1772 recommended practice that the SAE task force is working on.

One thing the industry wants to get right this time is charge interfaces as in the '90s we had a range of competing connectors that made it very difficult to effectively deploy a charging infrastructure. It's not so bad when we're only talking about a few charge points in scattered demonstration areas, but it's a significant decision when they're trying for nation-wide coverage.

I'd really like to see CHAdeMO take off as it's done, it works, there are US companies in the CHAdeMO group, and it's also being used in some European L3 chargers as well. Even if the SAE J1772 task force ratifies a L3 addition to J1772, it's not 'required' - it's a recommended standard only.

LEAFguy said:
LEAFer said:
garygid said:
Hi Brian,
Glad you have joined us.

I think I can help out a little here.

Nissan has announced nothing on the Level 3 connector because, as of yet, there is no L3 standard in the US. It is as simple as that. All EV Project LEAFs (regardless of trim level) will receive a Level 3 connector according to this FAQ page by ECOtality. (Question 5) Nissan is withholding information about non-EV Project vehicles because there is no US standard. Anything that is printed other than this is speculation. If you were to check Level 3 availability on any coming EV from a major manufacturer, I would be surprised if you found anything other than, "We'll let you know".

The EV Project vehicles (both trim levels) will likely ship with the CHAdeMO connector. This connector will be supplied on Japanese spec vehicles. Nissan has already commited to providing 200 Level 3 stations in Japanese dealerships using the CHAdeMO connector. CHAdeMO was formed by The Tokyo Electric Power Company, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Fuji Heavy Industries (the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles). Toyota joined later. It has yet to be defined as the Level 3 standard in the US.

Speculating now - Whatever standard is adopted in the US, Nissan will make Level 3 connectors optionally available, at least on the upscale SL model. As the vehicle comes standard with a Level 1 cord and a Level 2 connector, it is likely that the Level 3 connector will be priced as a separate option.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
My thread @ 7:44am today, under "Official Plug-in 2010 Conference" elaborates on the L3 SL option, as discussed in an email and by calling Nissan today. In summery, L3 is an option in the SL trim level included in the price :p

PacificNissanBrian said:
Jimmydreams said:
Pacific Nissan was the first Nissan Dealership in San Diego to be Leaf Reservation Certified. We have multiple people on our staff that are dedicated to the Leaf and its clientele. Pacific Nissan will be offering the Leaf at MSRP plus all applicable state fees. No hidden costs. No dealer added options. No games. Just GREAT customer service from an established family owned and operated business.

Great, Brian! Thanks for the response. I'll be getting in contact with you folks soon.

garygid said:
I think it will be soon for us to get a charger but I believe it will just be a Level 2 charger. We got a call from SD G&E the other day saying that they'll be doing some work associated with it in the next couple days. I'll try to find out more.
Jimmydreams said:
Great, Brian! Thanks for the response. I'll be getting in contact with you folks soon.
You are very welcome sir. ;)

For Dealers to Consider:

A near-empty LEAF comes in for service, and the owner needs at least an 80% charge to get "back home".

Will the dealership want to spend 6 or 7 hours L2-charging that LEAF, too long for the customer to wait?
That might involve driving the customer home and bringing him back "the next day"?

A Level 3 charge-station could do the charging in 30 minutes ...

but wait, what if it is a model SV (without L3 charging capability)?

Back