Just Got A Leaf; My First Car.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been super eco-conscious (the lighting in my room is powered by a small solar panel system), and a few months ago, when my parents were considering getting me a car, the "greenest" they would go was a Prius... but, in a some what bratty fashion, i refused a hybrid and said i only wanted to drive an EV. For months, my parents refused to even consider the actual practicality in a 16 year old boy driving an EV with a range of only 100miles-ish as his first car. Then, after numerous failed attempts at convincing them why it makes sense to drive an EV, basically, by throwing irrefutable benefits of driving an EV at them, they finally agreed to go test drive the Mitsubishi I-MiEV & the Nissan LEAF. Because my mom was freak'n out at the notion that i could be driving a car w/o a crash test safety rating (the I-MiEV) we went with the LEAF. So yesterday, we purchased a Silver 2012 SL from Fontana Nissan.

Literally i'm the happiest of campers of all the campgrounds.

-Taylor

p.s. i realize i have pretty awesome parents
p.p.s. any other young-ish people on the forums?

congrats!! good for you for being persistent, doing your homework and knowing what matters to you. you may very well find that this car will influence the way you think... about practically everything.

mynamestaylorr said:
I've always been super eco-conscious (the lighting in my room is powered by a small solar panel system), and a few months ago, when my parents were considering getting me a car, the "greenest" they would go was a Prius... but, in a some what bratty fashion, i refused a hybrid and said i only wanted to drive an EV. For months, my parents refused to even consider the actual practicality in a 16 year old boy driving an EV with a range of only 100miles-ish as his first car. Then, after numerous failed attempts at convincing them why it makes sense to drive an EV, basically, by throwing irrefutable benefits of driving an EV at them, they finally agreed to go test drive the Mitsubishi I-MiEV & the Nissan LEAF. Because my mom was freak'n out at the notion that i could be driving a car w/o a crash test safety rating (the I-MiEV) we went with the LEAF. So yesterday, we purchased a Silver 2012 SL from Fontana Nissan.

-Taylor

I'm 24. This is my fourth car. I didn't want to settle with a hybrid either. You're already buying a 3300+ pound hunk of metal. That's a lot of resources to take from the Earth. Might as well make it count. It's all or nothing ;)

astralfish said:
I'm 24. This is my fourth car. I didn't want to settle with a hybrid either. You're already buying a 3300+ pound hunk of metal. That's a lot of resources to take from the Earth. Might as well make it count. It's all or nothing ;)
Hey neighbor!; I'm in Mira Mesa too - off Black Mountain and Capricorn.

That is great! I too refused hybrids because ultimately they ran on gas so I held out until a few EV was available.

One thing that doesn't add up though is this:

mynamestaylorr said:
For months, my parents refused to even consider the actual practicality in a 16 year old boy driving an EV with a range of only 100miles-ish as his first car.

That seems contrary to normal logic. I would think that a young driver would have absolutely ZERO need for a range of more than 100 miles, and in fact it's probably beneficial that the range is limited (they know you can't take any extended road trips!)

Congratulations on your new car. I've only let my 16 year old drive my LEAF once (and that's only because we had to take his gas car on a 300 mile round trip)!

lpickup said:
One thing that doesn't add up though is this:

mynamestaylorr said:
For months, my parents refused to even consider the actual practicality in a 16 year old boy driving an EV with a range of only 100miles-ish as his first car.

That seems contrary to normal logic. I would think that a young driver would have absolutely ZERO need for a range of more than 100 miles, and in fact it's probably beneficial that the range is limited (they know you can't take any extended road trips!)

...they thought a 100mile range would be problamatic for the exact reason that i wouldn't be able to take long road trips :) Plus, we live in Los Angeles and make 130 mile trips to palm springs and a 340 mile trips to Mammoth Mtn. fairly frequently, plus plus, if i were to bring my car to college with me, they think it'd be a huge hassle to bring it wherever i go (in truth, they're probably right about that). But, with the 2 quickcharge stations in SoCal, the 130 mile trips are pretty much a non issue.

Dammit, now I'm not the youngest any more! I'm 23 (purchased the car at 22, reserved at 21). Either way, congratulations! Now get off my lawn you young whipper snapper. :D

That's an expensive car to buy a 16 year old. Most young drivers are lucky if they are given an old used car. Many kids I went to school with got no car at all until they were able to purchase one on their own. I was lucky and my parents bought me a brand new 1992 Firebird. But even that vehicle pales in cost compared to a Leaf. On the other hand, if they would have to buy the gas too then I guess it evens out.

Anyway, congrats. Just make sure you don't wreck it or it might be the end of your EV driving experience.

Out of curiosity, how will you be charging it? Level 1, Level 2, etc?

adric22 said:
That's an expensive car to buy a 16 year old. Most young drivers are lucky if they are given an old used car. Many kids I went to school with got no car at all until they were able to purchase one on their own. I was lucky and my parents bought me a brand new 1992 Firebird. But even that vehicle pales in cost compared to a Leaf. On the other hand, if they would have to buy the gas too then I guess it evens out.

Anyway, congrats. Just make sure you don't wreck it or it might be the end of your EV driving experience.

Yep, I didn't spend more than $600 until my 4th car :p . But it's still cool to see someone starting out with an EV. Congrats!

adric22 said:

Parents are divorced; at my mom's, we're going to use a Blink Level 2. At my dad's, we're just going to use the included Level 1. but there's a bunch of ChargePoint stations around my dad's neighborhood, so the level 1 is probably going to be used fairly infrequently.

You should check out EVSE Uprades.com Great price for a conversion that will let you L2 for WAY less than an ordinary L2 charger. Great product, great service. And I use mine daily at L2. Can still use it for L1 if needed. Best of both worlds.

mynamestaylorr said:

-Taylor

where are you applying for college?

Very nice to see, younger generation being so conscious on the environment. I thought the teens loved to drive the ones that made the most sound and smoke !!

In general I am seeing the younger generation being more responsible and eco friendly than the boomers. My son who may be is an year younger to you, is more interested in forest conservation and wild animal protection, than most in my generation.

Atleast they are more aware of the issues.

Back