Leaf tomorrow? Last minute things to check for?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanfam

Heading out of town tomorrow morning to buy a new 2011 Leaf, worked a deal over the phone as it is a little bit of a drive. But I just found out that it is a "demo" with about 1000 miles on it. Anything I should be aware of to check or look at prior to buying it? I know it is last minute - but I found this forum and did a little searching/checked the sticky's but couldn't find anything specific to check for. The only thing that has me nervous is some of the discussions here (at least with one car) of a battery at 80% after about 1 year and 11K miles. Anything I should be concerned with or check on since it is a demo? Any way to have battery capacity checked by their service department before purchasing or is that even necessary? Any advice is appreciated and if I missed a sticky or FAQ with these answers in them already I apologize.
Thanks

Vanfam said:
Heading out of town tomorrow morning to buy a new 2011 Leaf, worked a deal over the phone as it is a little bit of a drive. But I just found out that it is a "demo" with about 1000 miles on it. Anything I should be aware of to check or look at prior to buying it? I know it is last minute - but I found this forum and did a little searching/checked the sticky's but couldn't find anything specific to check for. The only thing that has me nervous is some of the discussions here (at least with one car) of a battery at 80% after about 1 year and 11K miles. Anything I should be concerned with or check on since it is a demo? Any way to have battery capacity checked by their service department before purchasing or is that even necessary? Any advice is appreciated and if I missed a sticky or FAQ with these answers in them already I apologize.
Thanks

Don't know where you are located, but In Pennsylvania you will lose your $3500 State EV Rebate.
If it's been Titled, you will probably lose your Federal $7500 tax credit.
(check with your tax "person")

Check your States incentives and read the fine print.
Is a 2011 demo so much cheaper than a New 2012 with rebates and incentives?

The biggest concern would be your inability to claim andy federal and state tax credits since it isn't a "new" car... Unless they've discounted it enough to compensate for that I'd walk away. As far as that battery discussion you referred to, I've had mine for a year with 14k miles on it and my annual battery checkup came back perfect. If there's been any capacity loss, I haven't noticed and it doesn't register on the display yet.

It'll help us a bit to know where you are located.

If you're in California (or other state with a local rebate program), have the dealer make an extra copy of the DMV form that is often taped to your windshield, and also an extra copy of all of the purchase or lease forms. You'll need these copies to send along with other documents to your state rebate program to claim your rebate.

I would recommend, as you suggest, getting to dealer to perform a battery scan and give you a report. It won't be very detailed, but I would do that as a minimum.

You should be expecting to get a pretty good discount for the demo as compared with a new car since apparently many dealers have have new LEAFs on the lot in some states.

GeekEV said:
The biggest concern would be your inability to claim andy federal and state tax credits since it isn't a "new" car... Unless they've discounted it enough to compensate for that I'd walk away. As far as that battery discussion you referred to, I've had mine for a year with 14k miles on it and my annual battery checkup came back perfect. If there's been any capacity loss, I haven't noticed and it doesn't register on the display yet.

Is it true that never-registered demo LEAFs are not considered eligible new cars for the CA CVRP rebate?

Considering TickTock's experience, I would want to see the GID
value near 280 (281 = 100%) after a "100%" charge to check
the Pack's capacity.

Or, second best perhaps, get the dealer to measure and
specify the Pack's "capacity" in writing on this "new/used" car.

Getting an alignment check to see if the car has been abused, and look at the tires and rims for scuff marks, and check tire wear.

Try all lights and accessories.

Do you get NAV 2011 version, or 2012?

Is the firmware up to date?

Get mats of some kind to protect the "flooring".

garygid said:
Or, second best perhaps, get the dealer to measure and
specify the Pack's "capacity" in writing on this "new/used" car.

If they agreed to this, anything they write would be so full of holes as to be completely worthless.

Checking the Gid at full charge is probably the best and simplest, but how does he physically do that?

My general experience is that "demo" vehicles are not titled (even to the dealership) no matter what the mileage. Admittedly, this is mostly based on personal experience with a demo motorcycle which had 5K miles at purchase, but I'd think this would apply to cars as well. In this case, I'd think full rebates would apply because pretty much all of our cars are going to have some miles on them at purchase, even if only a few. So yours has a thousand miles on it; you are still the one who put the vehicle in service. If the dealership somehow already claimed the tax credit, my unprofessional take is that they would be the ones at fault.

Being a demo electric car, I'd actually think you'd find less problems than with an ICE. Let's see: no worries about bad fuel sitting in the tank, probably got charged regularly, probably never fully drained, software updates easy enough to get. No range degradation with my car at 14 months and 10K so you should be fine..

But, the demo might sit in the heat, charged/charging to 100% (except when being driven) essentially 24/7 for months. :eek: :roll:

Perhaps Ingineer knows how the LEAF-teck can read the GID-value with the Consult III?

Turn the lights on and open the glove compartment. Is it lighted? If not have them put the bulb in...

Your tax preparer will need copy of the purchase papers next year.

17,000 miles later, nothing to report on mine. It's the sweetest ride you'll ever have. Just remember, it does 70 miles only at 65 mph.

Have fun with it and show it off to the ICEees.

Boomer23 said:
GeekEV said:

Is it true that never-registered demo LEAFs are not considered eligible new cars for the CA CVRP rebate?
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I thought I'd seen discussions to that effect here, which is why I mentioned it. I suppose I should have been a bit more clear on that point. :oops:

Still don't know where you are located.

In Pennsylvania, you would definitely NOT be eligible for the $3500 rebate from the State.

There is a mileage limit (500?), and you have to show the mileage certification with your paperwork.

Read on some Volt forum that some Volt guys had gotten screwed on this buying demos.

Again, I'm just wondering how great a deal this has to be to buy a "Used" 2011?

There are 3 2012's unspoken for sitting on my dealers lot right now.
A Silver, and a White, and a Blue.
(Of course, not the superior Black color :roll: )

Loughead Nissan
Swarthmore PA.

Go to U-Haul!
Rent a Trailer!
Come buy one!
No sales tax to out of State Buyers!

(run away! run run!)

If you are planning to use the L1 120 volt "charger" that comes with the car, make sure the outlet in the garage isn't all old and worn out, or wires stabbed in back.

For buying any LEAF, make sure the DMV paperwork that the dealer will submit states that the motive power for the car is electric not gas.

GeekEV said:
Boomer23 said:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I thought I'd seen discussions to that effect here, which is why I mentioned it. I suppose I should have been a bit more clear on that point. :oops:
Ours was marked "DEMO" on the sticker (but only had 23 miles on it) and we got the CVRP approval 5 days after purchase. Now to see how long the check takes to arrive...

Like others, I would guess - but don't know - that you're fine as long as the vehicle hasn't been titled. Interesting that there's a mileage limit in PA; I don't know if there's the same anywhere else, but it's definitely worth spending the time to research that! $7500 + state rebate is a lot to lose, and I wouldn't doubt that some dealers would try to say you're eligible even in situations when you're not.

I am in Oregon, and it is a 2011 SL, with a quick charge port and the floor mats, for 34K. I have called around to a bunch of dealers, and the 11's seem a few thousand dollars cheaper and the dealers seem willing to come down a little from MSRP whereas they are not willing to come down on the 2012's. It is also difficult to find an 11 with a quick charge port around here. Most don't have it now. Does that seem like a decent deal? Oh yea and it is a "demo" but it has not been titled and is therefore a "new" car. But is there a federal rule regarding the $7500 with regard to it being a "demo" or having miles on it?
Thanks

Vanfam said:
But is there a federal rule regarding the $7500 with regard to it being a "demo" or having miles on it?Thanks
As I understand this law: must be not registered before, so if you get "Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin for a Motor Vehicle" you should be Ok, even there are miles on it. I am not a lawyer. One of the requirements for 8936 is "The original use of the vehicle began with you"

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

Back