Hi, from Eagle rock, CA!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchy

Hi everyone, nice to find some friends to talk to about this car, that I am eagerly awaiting. ;) Thanks for having me.

I reserved my Leaf about 2 months ago and received an email today about setting up an appt. to have the charging dock installed. I was saddened to hear that the unit is $2200 plus the electricians fees....so should one expect around 4-5 grand for the whole thing? I have 220 installed for my hot tub already. What happens if I move? I rent. So expect to pay how much to uninstall, then re-run the electric in the new place? Oi-vey. I still owe 10 grand on my Prius...hahaa.

I want this car so much, but am wondering if it would be a bad move, seeing I don't own a home. Feeling a bit discouraged! :(

Thanks!

Welcome. Some leafs are crunchy :)

The $2.2K includes std installation. So, unless you have a lot of extra work needed, you should be fine. And you get 50% in tax credits.

evnow said:
Welcome. Some leafs are crunchy :)

The $2.2K includes std installation. So, unless you have a lot of extra work needed, you should be fine. And you get 50% in tax credits.

Thanks! I just found that thread actually. Great board...so much to read!

Plus, half of it is covered by a tax credit - if you owe sufficient taxes.

The charger is not mandatory, but Nissan highly encourages it because without one you'll have to wait 20 hours for a full charge from a 110V outlet.

Crunchy said:
I have 220 installed for my hot tub already.
I would guess that is 50A, which is fine, except ... you can't share the circuit! So you are either going to have to give up the hot tub or run another cable. I know, I know. You aren't going to be using both of them at the same time, but rules is rules. No reputable electrician would be willing to put both on the same circuit, and no city inspector who is even halfway awake would approve such a setup.

Well, I guess there is one other possibility. You might be able to install a subpanel and run both off that. You will still very likely have to upgrade the wire size from the main panel, but it could well be cheaper than two really fat sets of wires.

Is there a UL listed and inspector-approvable "switch" that could be installed, which guarantees that only one device is "fed" ? Driver/Hot-tub user controls where the juice goes ...

LEAFer said:
Is there a UL listed and inspector-approvable "switch" that could be installed, which guarantees that only one device is "fed" ? Driver/Hot-tub user controls where the juice goes ...

A transfer switch...

Thanks everyone. My boyfriend said that panel is full already so we'll have to either install a bigger one or another one next to it. No way am I giving up that hot tub. :lol:

Bicster said:
LEAFer said:

A transfer switch...
A transfer switch ... in most applications ... allows choice of one of two (or more?) power sources to be routed to one load (or a sub-panel with multiple simultaneous loads). (As in ... The Grid versus Generator supply choice (during power outage) to power some essential equipment.) Is there a simple/cheap manual transfer switch to do the "reverse" ... one supply source (the grid) to two or more (but only one at a time; i.e. break-before-make) load choice ?

The common "Open Transition" Transfer Switch is a break-before-make switch.

The less common "Closed Transition" variety is make-before-break, used when the load should not lose power, even briefly.

Back