Black box in the trunk

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seahorse

My orphan LEAF came with a black box in the trunk, see photo. I guess it is some sort of data recorder. Does anyone know how to turn it off and remove it?

Any mfg markings, etc.? any wires connected? If the 'gray' cover was left open I'd almost say it was a rat trap (rats go in but they don't come out) -- could be an add-on sub-woofer but not where it's located and the size of that gray cover.

Somebody... might have lost it. Looks expensive too! Have you checked with the place you bought it to see if someone is missing some equipment?

Holy cow, that's the new top secret 200 mile battery. A drunk Nissan engineer left it there by mistake. Please return asap! :lol:

The dealer said it was some kind of event data recorder. He asked me to turn it off, but I don't see how. Should I try to open it up? Do you think it has any value?

Seahorse said:
The dealer said it was some kind of event data recorder. He asked me to turn it off, but I don't see how. Should I try to open it up? Do you think it has any value?

LOL!! :lol:

Tell HIM to turn it off! :eek:

So you must be pulling a prank. If not, someone has put a device in your car without your consent, I would find out who before you go back to the dealer and if they were tracking info without your permission well..... If this is a real post I would not give that back until I knew what it was and why it was on my car. If the car was modified to install the unit then I would be even more interested and not let a dealer pull it out.

Seahorse said:
My orphan LEAF came with a black box in the trunk, see photo. I guess it is some sort of data recorder.
Actually, that is a Remote Volt Sensing Device. If a Volt is located and it is plugged into a public charger, but not actually charging, the Volt is disabled. I have one in the back of my car; it really works great!

Stoaty said:
Actually, that is a Remote Volt Sensing Device. If a Volt is located and it is plugged into a public charger, but not actually charging, the Volt is disabled. I have one in the back of my car; it really works great!
it also remove ICE from EV designated parking area

Seahorse said:
My orphan LEAF came with a black box in the trunk, see photo. I guess it is some sort of data recorder. Does anyone know how to turn it off and remove it?

Wow, I'm dying to open it up and see what's inside. What does it appear to be connected to?

Actually, it is a top secret high-end potty trainer that I'm developing. I'm not sure how it ended up in there. So sorry. Please return asap.

Regards,
I.P. Freely

When I take out the material in the trunk, you see the box is connected to a metal plate. The trunk material has been cut to accommodate the box.

Looking in the vents of the black plastic box, you see a white electronics-type box inside. The black plastic box is fastened with black plastic push-pins that pop in and latch.

Does the grey button on the front do anything when you push it? Any wiring on writing on the bottom of the box?

I wonder if Emmet Brown was the original buyer that backed out.
Maybe he never showed up to pick it up, and left his flux capacitor back there.

Back