Color of car and battery life

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukati

This may be a silly question. Is it possible that the color of the car can effect battery degradation? Cold temperatures may be bad for range but they do not harm lithium batteries. High temperatures do and I went with white partly because it will help me use less a/c during the summer but also because I thought that a cooler car would help protect the battery. Is there any data out there? E.g., battery temperature readings of a white and a black car parked side by side in the sun. I test drove the LEAF today at the Chicago drive tour and I have to say that the blue color looks better than the white I ordered.

Since the battery is under the car and essentially isolated from the passenger compartment, it is unlikely that the color of the car will have any appreciable effect on the pack temperature. It will only affect the passenger compartment temperature and subsequently the AC load.

lukati said:
This may be a silly question. Is it possible that the color of the car can effect battery degradation? Cold temperatures may be bad for range but they do not harm lithium batteries. High temperatures do and I went with white partly because it will help me use less a/c during the summer but also because I thought that a cooler car would help protect the battery. Is there any data out there? E.g., battery temperature readings of a white and a black car parked side by side in the sun. I test drove the LEAF today at the Chicago drive tour and I have to say that the blue color looks better than the white I ordered.

Back