1st post and a newbie question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betseyReed

Hi all,

This is my first posting here, so hello everyone!

I just bought a new Leaf SV Premium, 40kWh (European version) and have a question which I couldn't find answer to in the manual:

How fast does the battery deplete when the car is left unused? I'm going for a 10-day trip and want to leave the car in a long-term airport car park, wondering if there is still going to be any charge to get me back home.

Thanks!
BR

The "vampire drain" is very low for Leafs under normal circumstances. Just leave it with about 50% charge and you should return to find it with just a few percent less remaining. The two exceptions are if it gets cold enough to activate the battery warmer (this happens far, far below freezing) or if you leave a Bluetooth diagnostic port reader plugged into the diagnostic port and active.

LeftieBiker said:
The "vampire drain" is very low for Leafs under normal circumstances. Just leave it with about 50% charge and you should return to find it with just a few percent less remaining. The two exceptions are if it gets cold enough to activate the battery warmer (this happens far, far below freezing) or if you leave a Bluetooth diagnostic port reader plugged into the diagnostic port and active.

Thank you LeftieBiker for responding with good news!

This is Ireland, the temperature rarely drops below 0 centigrade here even in winter.

What is a Bluetooth diagnostic port reader and how can I get one for my Leaf? Looked quickly at Amazon and I see tools like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 What information can it provide about my Leaf which is otherwise inaccessible? I'd love to learn about the internals of my Leaf.

Many thanks,
BR

The Leaf is very finicky about On Board Diagnostic Port (OBDII) readers, and some can even damage it. Look near the end of this long topic for current suggestions on devices. Basically, LeafSpy interprets internal messages from the Battery Management System (BMS) that give information on things like battery temperature and health, and it can also be used to change adjustable settings like automatic door locking.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=540683

LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf is very finicky about On Board Diagnostic Port (OBDII) readers, and some can even damage it. Look near the end of this long topic for current suggestions on devices. Basically, LeafSpy interprets internal messages from the Battery Management System (BMS) that give information on things like battery temperature and health, and it can also be used to change adjustable settings like automatic door locking.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=540683

This is very helpful. I'll do my reading before I connect anything to my Leaf. Thank you again LeftieBiker!

Back