High Mileage Leaf Over 150k Buy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aguita

Hello Guys,

I was at the auction the other day buying some cars when it came on the line a 15 SL Premium Package that caught my attention, no one was interested on the car other than 1 guy so I bid on it and won it for cheap!

Car is a 1 owner with 150k in really top notch condition other than some damage to leather seats..
Im new to this car, I check the car fax and it was serviced several times at a nissan dealer, car currently have 11 Bars..

Should i buy leaf spy and check the battery status!? what are the numbers I should care about?

any recommendations for this such high mileage!?

my weekly commute is maybe 100 Miles..

Any inputs appreciated!

AAHH...you should have used Leafspy BEFORE you took the plunge. Since you now own the car, I see no advantage in using Leafspy. Since the car is out of warranty, Drive it, enjoy it, and hope there are no major (expensive) problems looming.

derkraut said:
AAHH...you should have used Leafspy BEFORE you took the plunge. Since you now own the car, I see no advantage in using Leafspy. Since the car is out of warranty, Drive it, enjoy it, and hope there are no major (expensive) problems looming.

yeah I know, but i didn't search for the car... but wont leafspy show me the real condition of battery!? I would like to see how healthy they car.. car spend all its life in Colder climate.

aguita said:
but wont leafspy show me the real condition of battery!?
It can, as long as it wasn't reset. If reset, it'll take awhile for the car to relearn the battery.

See posts by AntronX at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=489807#p489807.

Cwerdna is correct. Wait two or three months. If it's still showing 11 bars then rest easy, or run LeafSpy on it then. You want a SOH number as little below 85 as possible.

You have the car. Be happy at a cheap car. Get the leafspy and the wireless obd adapter either way, you will need it. Hey 11 bars is better than 75% of the guys on this forum...

Have fun with your new adventure toy....

Heck, If I got one like that cheap, I would have bought it as is also. The parts on it alone are worth a small fortune because there are so few of them made. You could turn that car into an ebay business some day if it is not financially good to keep it..

aguita said:
Should i buy leaf spy and check the battery status!?
Charge the car to full and go for a ride. Turn around when the battery SoC is ~ 60% so you do not get stuck on side of the road.
How far did you go ?

In short, use a little common sense. It is a car, after all.

SageBrush said:
aguita said:
Should i buy leaf spy and check the battery status!?
Charge the car to full and go for a ride. Turn around when the battery SoC is ~ 60% so you do not get stuck on side of the road.
How far did you go ?

In short, use a little common sense. It is a car, after all.

+1

And I would recommend getting an appropriate OBDII dongle and LeafSpyPro. Having an OBDII reader is a must for any car IMO and for $20 it will give you a lot of information for a little bit of money.

And I would recommend getting an appropriate OBDII dongle and LeafSpyPro. Having an OBDII reader is a must for any car IMO and for $20 it will give you a lot of information for a little bit of money.

Very true, but we were trying to make the OP understand that a recent BMS reset will also fool LeafSpy.

Although it is likely the battery is in reasonable condition since the car was in a cool climate, I strongly recommend purchasing a suitable OBDII adapter and LEAF Spy Pro to keep in the car. I was out running errands today and stopped for a quick charge (which I needed to get home). There were communication errors between the charger and the car. I would have been unable to charge at the adjacent station if I had not been able to clear all of the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). Having Leaf Spy Pro saved me again from having the car towed to the dealer (this has happened to me several times over the years since Leaf Spy was introduced so it has paid for itself numerous times).

I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL premium package with 85k miles and I still have all 12 bars. How much did you pay for your car? I love this car, no gas and maintenance saved me about $11k so far.

aguita said:
Hello Guys,

I was at the auction the other day buying some cars when it came on the line a 15 SL Premium Package that caught my attention, no one was interested on the car other than 1 guy so I bid on it and won it for cheap!

Car is a 1 owner with 150k in really top notch condition other than some damage to leather seats..
Im new to this car, I check the car fax and it was serviced several times at a nissan dealer, car currently have 11 Bars..

Should i buy leaf spy and check the battery status!? what are the numbers I should care about?

any recommendations for this such high mileage!?

my weekly commute is maybe 100 Miles..

Any inputs appreciated!

aguita now that you have had the Leaf for a while how do you like it. The 2015 Leaf SL I think is the better Leaf technology in the sub 100 mile range and clearly the SL trim is nice. If you have now downloaded the $15.00 Leaf Spy Pro how many charging cycles does it report. That would give a ballpark indication as to where the battery pack has been replaced or not. Sounds like it may have good life left in it.

derkraut said:

I will be the opposing view;

Sure, get LEAF Spy.

Its less than a modest expense.

It provides a ton of info on your pack status

Supports a very proactive member of both MNL and the EV community

Gives you MUCH better information on the real range of the car.

As far as 150,000 miles? There is a Washingtonian with that mileage and he still has 12 bars. So yeah; its highly believable.

My 2017 Nissan leaf.🍃SL, has over 203,900. USA miles *** Original battery pack 👀***
Since 03/11/2017. Its been recharged(plugged in) over 7,205 times now 😱 😂
SOH Is about 58% of its original 30kwh pack.
#DANDANTHEDRIVINGMAN

Back