dakota1996

2015 Leaf SL CPO w/nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery!

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

EVDRIVER

Re: 2015 Leaf SL CPO w/nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery!

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 pm

dakota1996 wrote:Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

Which vehicle?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 pm

You could always upload the image to https://imgur.com/ and post a link here.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:45 pm

I think that what you are getting is the same balance of the degradation warranty that you would have gotten had you bought it privately, or without the extended warranty.

The problem you face is that your car has the "Lizard" pack, which was designed specifically so that Nissan would no longer have to replace packs under warranty. That car must have been driven in a very Hot climate. If your climate is relatively mild, your odds aren't great. If your climate is mild, I suggest you cancel that warranty. (If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, for which I and others paid $500 a few years ago, the price is up a lot, but I hope not as high as you paid...)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

dakota1996

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:You could always upload the image to https://imgur.com/ and post a link here.

Here's a link to the contract language about the battery warranty. https://imgur.com/VnqKAvA

dakota1996

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
dakota1996 wrote:Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

Which vehicle?

2015 Nissan Leaf SL CPO

dakota1996

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:11 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I think that what you are getting is the same balance of the degradation warranty that you would have gotten had you bought it privately, or without the extended warranty.

The problem you face is that your car has the "Lizard" pack, which was designed specifically so that Nissan would no longer have to replace packs under warranty. That car must have been driven in a very Hot climate. If your climate is relatively mild, your odds aren't great. If your climate is mild, I suggest you cancel that warranty. (If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, for which I and others paid $500 a few years ago, the price is up a lot, but I hope not as high as you paid...)

I live on Oahu, Hawaii. The Carfax report showed it never left the island. Temps here range from mid 80s to low 90s in the summer months. This nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery runs through 8/2024, so five years left to take off 2 more bars to have the battery replaced. Are the odds in my favor? Otherwise I may just cancel the warranty.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Interesting. The 70% capacity coverage is equivalent to the four capacity bar loss offered by Nissan ever since the Klee (?) class action lawsuit, so that isn't adding anything. However, if the extended warranty really covers this through 2024, then yes, you should keep the warranty. Nissan has been covering batteries only for 5 years, or exactly 60,000 miles - not a second or mile more. I'd triple check this with Nissan, because otherwise the warranty is, if not a waste of money, very expensive peace of mind...

Now about Hawaii: while the Islands' climate isn't as hot as, say, Phoenix Arizona, it still degrades Leaf batteries fast. Why? Because it doesn't cool off enough at night for the packs, which have no real thermal management, to cool off enough. That explains the two bar loss, and it makes it pretty likely that your car will lose another two bars before 2024. If the coverage actually ends in 2020 (or at 60k miles) though, that's a different story. How many miles are on the odometer now?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:28 pm

This is surprising given how useless https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa ... es-program is.

Is this warranty provided by Nissan or its affiliate? Is there something of interest in the non-covered conditions or limit of liability?

If this warranty legitimately extends the capacity warranty on Leafs, this would be the first I've heard of it. Several others I've seen (usually on FB groups) have claimed theirs does but when asked for proof, they usually go silent or mock others and fail to provide a single shred of proof.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

dakota1996

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:44 pm

cwerdna wrote:This is surprising given how useless https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa ... es-program is.

Is this warranty provided by Nissan or its affiliate? Is there something of interest in the non-covered conditions or limit of liability?

If this warranty legitimately extends the capacity warranty on Leafs, this would be the first I've heard of it. Several others I've seen (usually on FB groups) have claimed theirs does but when asked for proof, they usually go silent or mock others and fail to provide a single shred of proof.

I bought it directly from the Nissan dealership when I bought the CPO. The dealership's name is on the contract and if I ever need servicing this is the dealer I would return to. I was really surprised to hear about this battery coverage too and I made the finance manager show me exactly where it was in the contract. The 70% depletion coverage is there. I'm not sure how they'd be able to argue their way out it. I even looked for items like excessive quick charging can void the warranty . Nothing. All there was there was the earlier image I posted. Here's the pamphlet to the warranty: https://imgur.com/KHIwysq
https://imgur.com/XrHR2wl

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”