CVT for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julara

Nissan and transmission supplier Jatco are developing a new Continously Variable Transmission which promises greater efficiency by providing a wider gear ratio than previous CVTs and lower internal friction. One short portion of the article (see link) states:

"Jatco also is developing a CVT for EVs that will be more efficient than the simple reduction gears used in today's EVs, such as the Nissan Leaf.

Carmakers tend to choose reduction gears because they are a cheaper option for otherwise expensive battery-powered vehicles, Usuba said.

But CVTs would help preserve battery life because they are more efficient in recharging the battery through brake regeneration, Usuba said. A CVT allows the electric motor to operate in a wider zone of maximum efficiency, further saving power."

The Volt does this now by using the motor/generator to spin the ring gear forward to allow the traction motor to operate in a band of RPMs where it operates most efficiently. It sounds as if this CVT is intended to achieve the same result, but is the increased efficiency worth the additional cost and weight of a CVT? As for higher levels of regen, couldn't this be achieved without a CVT simply by allowing the traction to generate more regen?

Julara said:
Nissan and transmission supplier Jatco are developing a new Continously Variable Transmission which promises greater efficiency by providing a wider gear ratio than previous CVTs and lower internal friction. One short portion of the article (see link) states:

"Jatco also is developing a CVT for EVs that will be more efficient than the simple reduction gears used in today's EVs, such as the Nissan Leaf.

Carmakers tend to choose reduction gears because they are a cheaper option for otherwise expensive battery-powered vehicles, Usuba said.

But CVTs would help preserve battery life because they are more efficient in recharging the battery through brake regeneration, Usuba said. A CVT allows the electric motor to operate in a wider zone of maximum efficiency, further saving power."

The Volt does this now by using the motor/generator to spin the ring gear forward to allow the traction motor to operate in a band of RPMs where it operates most efficiently. It sounds as if this CVT is intended to achieve the same result, but is the increased efficiency worth the additional cost and weight of a CVT? As for higher levels of regen, couldn't this be achieved without a CVT simply by allowing the traction to generate more regen?

I was under the impression that there was still a lot of room for more intense regen to be had electronically.

As for maximizing motor efficiency, it's intriguing. But I'd worry about the "throttle response" becoming oddly non-linear. The vague relationship between pedal and torque is exactly what I hate about automatic transmissions. I much prefer the feeling of direct-drive that LEAF has. And I really like the simplicity of a reduction gear.

I'm fairly sure that friction losses would exceed - or at least cancel out - any gains. Transmissions can provide EVs with added power flexibility, by allowing both low speed power and a high top speed, but this isn't a big concern in most applications. A Leaf with a CVT and the correct programming for it could do 0-60MPH in 5 seconds and have a top speed of at least 110MPH, but range would quite possibly drop in many driving scenarios. I think that the piece above is talking about one thing - a better CVT for ICEVs, which Nissan really needs - and then tossing in some offhand speculation about a different application that isn't the real focus...

I will stick with gear reduction.
One of the advantages of an EV is it has a simple transmission that shouldn't break and only needs an oil change every 60,000 miles or so.

I think a dual motor setup eliminates any advantages to a CVT, adds 4 wheel drive, and keeps things simple. The cost of a special transmission is probably more expensive than adding another motor. I'd rather keep it simple.

Jatco and their CVT transmissions are crap..... They are responsible for bringing down the Nissan brand... If they ever put those CVTs in a Leaf, it would be time for all of us to jump ship with Nissan EVs...

Back