2015 Leaf - does 6.6 kW onboard charger mean there is a quick charge port?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdediana

I’ve narrowed down my EV search to the 2015 Nissan Leaf, but there is still a lot to be desired in information available online from dealers when looking at these used vehicles - and a phone call or online chat is no better. Does a 6.6 kW onboard charger always mean that there is a quick charge port? I know there are other tricks (like looking at the number of orange cords connected to engine) but not all photos show this, including the one I have my eyes on now. It’s an S model with a ton of package upgrades, but quick charge port is not listed. It does have the LED headlights, I’ve learned from this article (https://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/) can indicate a quick charge port on the SV model, unclear if it’s the same on the S. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The options varied by year but as far as I know, there are only 2 charger types so a 6.6kW charger package would include the QC port.

I'm surprised about the LED headlights. I didn't know that was an available option on the S although maybe it was on the 2015 MY. It may be that the owner just replaced the original bulbs with drop-in LED bulbs. Replacing the entire headlight assembly with LED lights is a pretty big job apparently since the wiring is completely different.

The 2013 and beyond SV and SL trim levels all have Heat pump and 6.6KW charger but as my signature line says, the 6.6KW charger does not automatically mean the QC port also. For an S model, the 6.6KW comes as the charge package that should include the QC IIRC.

BillHolz said:
The 2013 and beyond SV and SL trim levels all have Heat pump and 6.6KW charger but as my signature line says, the 6.6KW charger does not automatically mean the QC port also. For an S model, the 6.6KW comes as the charge package that should include the QC IIRC.

I leased an SV for 5 years with Premium Package but no QC.

Not necessarily. QC was still an option on SV which came with 6.6 KW L2 standard. Only on the S trim does 6.6 KW guarantee QC port.

I have a 2017 S with the 'charge package' so 6.6kW and QC port. I'm 99.99% sure there are no LED lights in front. It could vary by year but I always thought the LED lights were only available on the higher trims.

goldbrick said:
I have a 2017 S with the 'charge package' so 6.6kW and QC port. I'm 99.99% sure there are no LED lights in front. It could vary by year but I always thought the LED lights were only available on the higher trims.

No S trims have LED headlights

DaveinOlyWA said:
Not necessarily. QC was still an option on SV which came with 6.6 KW L2 standard. Only on the S trim does 6.6 KW guarantee QC port.

Great! It is an S trim and the listing mentions the 6.6 kW but not the QC (which I want), so this makes me feel confident buying this one. Thanks again!

LeftieBiker said:
I seem to remember reading about something light-related coming with QC on the S. LED interior lights, maybe? ;)

hmmm? maybe. Nissan shuffled so much stuff around. My 2013's charge package came with a backup Camera...

Ah well all this confusion is because the S I’m looking at does NOT have LED lights, looked at photos of another potential Leaf right before original post. Oops :D

My 2017 S has what I think is an LED under the charge door. That is a very welcome feature. Interior lights also seem to be LED due to color but I've never examined them carefully enough to know for sure.

S level = no LED ever... Also, DO NOT put in replacement LED lights into the regular light recepticles. It will blind other drivers, and does not improve visibility. Factory LED lights have different projector lenses..

S level - Came with additional charge QC package (larger round plug to the left of the regular plug) and the 6.6 charger (which increases speed of the Level II charging) I got this and am very happy.

STANDARD S - only came with a 3.3 charger... (Not a desirable model)

powersurge said:
S level = no LED ever... Also, DO NOT put in replacement LED lights into the regular light recepticles. It will blind other drivers, and does not improve visibility. Factory LED lights have different projector lenses..

S level - Came with additional charge QC package (larger round plug to the left of the regular plug) and the 6.6 charger (which increases speed of the Level II charging) I got this and am very happy.

STANDARD S - only came with a 3.3 charger... (Not a desirable model)

True but...

There is and NEVER has been a LEAF with a 3.3 KW charger. Its a 3.8 and always has been.

Back