Should I buy a second charging cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmundt

Just purchased a 2019 SL Plus this weekend. I am having a 50a/240 Volt outlet installed next week. I don't have a garage so the charging station will be outside. My question is what are the opinions about whether using the Nissan cable is sufficient or if I should acquire a second cable "all weather" outlet for home charging (keeping the OEM cable with the car)? Thanks!

If the new outlet has a cover that protects it even when something is plugged in, and you support the charging cable "brick" so it isn't hanging from the plug, that's enough, especially if you make a rain cover for the brick. If you decide you want a charging station so you can carry the cable, Clipper Creek has good, USA-made stations, with 3 year warranties, for about $500. (Maybe $600 if you want to charge at the maximum rate.)

I personally would always want to carry a charging cable in the car, even if only 120v, good for slow emergency charging. Others may feel different and may figure there are frequently charging stations around town for such emergencies. Since cheap L1 EVSEs start around $200 I'd consider it cheap insurance if you'd ever need it, but thats up to you.
Note many cheaper portable EVSEs, especially the 120v/240v dual voltage EVSEs charge at 16a on both 120v and 240v. Personally I would not want this for an emergency EVSE as you'd have to find a 20a circuit and would also limit what extension cords you might want to use, it would have to be at least 12 gauge if not 10 gauge, no the much more common 14g. Because of this I'd look for a portable that would top out at 13a so you could get by with a 15a outlet(basically any outlet is at least 15a) and you could in an emergency use a decent 14 gauge extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-100V-120V-Meters-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B07HK32RY3/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=120v+evse&qid=1552436747&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I have been doing outside charging for about four years. I installed a hard-wired GE EVSE unit. My Nissan EVSE is only 120 volt. I keep it in the car for emergency use. I also have a 240 volt OpenEVSE unit with the RV plug that I keep in the car in case I ever need it.

The manual said the cable was not to be left in direct sunlight and/or exposed to wind or rain, which is what sent me down this rabbit hole. I'm anticipating only needing to charge once a week, so for now I'm going to stick with just getting the outlet and using the Nissan cable. If I feel the need, I'll get the cable. It's the first EV so despite the research I'm asking all the questions that I didn't think of before. Thanks for the replies.

You should always have 2 evse units.
Unless you have public chargers around and not charging at home for a week or more wouldn't be a problem for you.

Oilpan4 said:
You should always have 2 evse units.
Unless you have public chargers around and not charging at home for a week or more wouldn't be a problem for you.

I tend to agree. I had my 240V EVSE fail after about 4 years of use. The good news is Leviton replaced it free of charge even though it was outside of warranty! But I was glad that I had the Nissan unit to fall back upon. Relying on public charging would have been a pain.

As far as keeping in the car for emergencies, I did that with the first lease. When getting the 2015 home I realized I'd never had that kind of emergency and with 3 years experience it was even more unlikely. I'd rather have the storage space. The only time I've taken an EVSE along since was on a long trip where I might need to use an RV park and I wired an adapter cable to feed my L2 unit from 14-50 outlets.

My Panasonic granny charger that I converted to run 240v is my home charger.
I keep my 16amp 240v duosida charger in the car to utilize my own private charging network.

I also have the home chadmo. It's stuck at home.
My private charging network isn't setup to handle 30 amp charging.

As far as keeping (an EVSE) in the car for emergencies, I did that with the first lease. When getting the 2015 home I realized I'd never had that kind of emergency and with 3 years experience it was even more unlikely. I'd rather have the storage space. The only time I've taken an EVSE along since was on a long trip where I might need to use an RV park and I wired an adapter cable to feed my L2 unit from 14-50 outlets.

I also stopped carrying an EVSE after my first lease. Now I use a Gen I EVSE bag to carry a J-1772 extension cord instead...which I also have yet to use.

As shown by the previous posts, it depends on your access to other EVSEs.

I too was on the fence about whether or not to carry the portable 120/240V Nissan EVSE with me, and have a permanent EVSE at home. But, as time passed, I realized that I have a lot of public EVSEs (L2 & L3) around the areas that I normally drive, so I only really needed an EVSE at home. In the end, I have my Nissan EVSE at home and use public ones once in a while while I am out and about.

I sold the OpenEVSE unit that I carry around. I had never used it and I did not realize the 120V adapter was wrong! I still carry an OpenEVSE along with me but I never plan to use it. The nice thing is that on a clean 20A line it can be set higher than 12A. I did check the 120V adapter and it works!. Unless I am traveling I will likely never use the L3 CCS unit.

My IoniQ has 150 miles city range. That does the job for me locally.. In fact my Mercedes B worked for me.

kmundt said:
Just purchased a 2019 SL Plus this weekend. I am having a 50a/240 Volt outlet installed next week. I don't have a garage so the charging station will be outside. My question is what are the opinions about whether using the Nissan cable is sufficient or if I should acquire a second cable "all weather" outlet for home charging (keeping the OEM cable with the car)? Thanks!

Since you stated that you will likely only need to charge once per week I would simply plug the EVSE in when you need to charge & store it in your residence when not using to protect it against weathering & theft.

My 2018 SL came with a bracket/cradle that could wall mounted so if you also have that bracket it should be convenient to support the "brick" part of the EVSE when plug & unplug the EVSE so both hands are available.

I personally don't travel with any EVSE in the car but all of my usage is local and in 8 months of driving it hasn't been a problem and you have 50% more range than I do so in theory you have even more of a buffer.

I have 2 (essentially portable) EVSEs, but I no longer keep one in my car. There are enough charging stations around (and even "free") that I could use in a pinch. My (converted) original Nissan/Panasonic EVSE has been my daily L2 charger since I bought my Leaf.

HerdingElectrons said:
I personally don't travel with any EVSE in the car but all of my usage is local and in 8 months of driving it hasn't been a problem and you have 50% more range than I do so in theory you have even more of a buffer.

I've used my 120V EVSE four times away from home.

Once to show someone how to charge.

Once at a bed and breakfast.

Once at an overnight campground.

Once at an EVSE that was both L2 and L1, and the L2 was busy. As was free, plugged into 120V for overnight. Later, walking to dinner, noticed the L2 was available, so plugged in to L2. Car was fully charged after dinner.

Only two of these were real needs. Both were planned weeks in advance.

I have more than a few emergency items in my cars -- things I expect to never use.
That is the thing with emergencies: they are never expected.

Some people prepare for emergencies. Some do not.

SageBrush said:
I have more than a few emergency items in my cars -- things I expect to never use.

Totally agree. That's why there's one in both Leafs with multiple adapter cables.

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

Totally agree. That's why there's one in both Leafs with multiple adapter cables.

This topic of what emergency items to carry in the car has come up a few times on the Tesla forum, I think in part because the car is used for longer trips, and because it has a 'frunk' that works well for that purpose. It also seems like people who live or travel outside of populated areas, and who drive in more severe climates, are more likely to be the carrying type.

I have spent more than a few minutes of thought in deciding on an emergency kit. It spans the gamut from water and granola to a bicycle pump and battery ... and EVSE with adapters. I also email myself a reminder once a year to review and update the kit.

IIRC the Boy Scouts have a nice motto -- "Be prepared."

Back