2013 SL vs 2105 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elerwin

Hello everyone!

I'm about to enter the EV world buying an used Leaf. I have two options in mind I would like some advice for...

One is a 2013 SL Leaf with 10 bars, the other 2015 S with 12 bars.

I'm towards the SL model but those 10 bars scare me a bit. Plus is a car with 5-6 years of use. The S model is just from 2015 and all bars are intact.

What do I have to worry about: Battery life span or features despite the year?

Thanks for your time!

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Where did the two cars reside before (per Carfax and/or Autocheck)? What's the build month on the '13? That can be found on the driver's side door sticker. Also, Carfax and Autocheck should have that info.

How rapidly the battery will degrade on each will depend on your climate and which chemistry of battery the '13 has. The '15 is a relatively known quantity. Build month is the big question on that '13.

If you want more features than the S, look for an SV or SL built AFTER March of 2013. Those missing bars on the SL are due to it having the old, bad battery chemistry.

Thanks for your answers!

cwerdna said:
Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Where did the two cars reside before (per Carfax and/or Autocheck)? What's the build month on the '13? That can be found on the driver's side door sticker. Also, Carfax and Autocheck should have that info.

How rapidly the battery will degrade on each will depend on your climate and which chemistry of battery the '13 has. The '15 is a relatively known quantity. Build month is the big question on that '13.

I live in Dominican Republic (I just updated that info in my profile) My daily driving routine is only around the city, and Santo Domingo is a small city. I work at home so I have plenty of time to charge.

Those cars are imported from the USA (Florida) I assume they both reside there.

I asked the owner for the build month so I'm still waiting for that info.

Here at DR the climate is mostly hot (Around 30ºC/86ºF)

LeftieBiker said:
If you want more features than the S, look for an SV or SL built AFTER March of 2013. Those missing bars on the SL are due to it having the old, bad battery chemistry.

Yes! I definitely have to check that information, I think that will determine my final decision.

Thanks again for the advice! I will post again with the build info.

^^^
From those temps. if you want the longest battery longevity, you are FAR better off with a model year '15 w/the "lizard" battery.

cwerdna said:
^^^
From those temps. if you want the longest battery longevity, you are FAR better off with a model year '15 w/the "lizard" battery.

Yes! And even then, if the nights are, as I suspect, often hot as well (above 72F or so) then even a '15 battery will degrade more quickly than you'd like. Can you get a Chevy Volt (with a "V" - it's a plug-in hybrid with battery cooling)? That would give you about 40 miles of electric range, and a battery with thermal management.

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

Yes! And even then, if the nights are, as I suspect, often hot as well (above 72F or so) then even a '15 battery will degrade more quickly than you'd like. Can you get a Chevy Volt (with a "V" - it's a plug-in hybrid with battery cooling)? That would give you about 40 miles of electric range, and a battery with thermal management.

Thermal management doesn't help much with steady heat with high humidity. Either it rarely turns on, or it cools below the dew point and gets condensation on the battery.

I don't think the Chevy Volt is built for the humidity in the Dominican Republic. Dew point in August averages well over 24C... And the US built Chevy Volt will be cooling the battery to as low as 22C while charging. Steady condensation on cooling lines, electronics and such sounds like such a bad idea. Maybe if you could get the version GM made in China, the Buick Velite 5, with higher temperature Chinese made battery? Seems unlikely at best.

As for expected rate of capacity loss, the Battery Loss wiki gives San Juan, Puerto Rico as 1.87 and San Juan would be very similar in climate. Or if a specific battery would last 12 years in Los Angeles California to a specific capacity loss, it would last 12/1.87 years, or a bit over 6 years in your climate to the same capacity loss. If the price is right on the 2015, and you can live with reduced range, then maybe. Because of your climate, your battery will not last as long. The less range you really need, the longer the car will likely do that.

Note that this Wiki article is about the 2011 and 2012 batteries, which had poor life. The "Aging Factors" however should apply to any passively cooled battery.

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-capacity-loss/#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss

The 2015 S is a far better bet than the 2013 SL. Better battery, less capacity lost already.

Lots of speculation in the previous post. I'd look at the battery performance of 2015 Leafs - and of Chevy Volts - in South Florida to get an idea of how each would fare in Central America.

Hey guys! posting back again.

That 2103 SL seemed to be some custom made Leaf (Don't know if that is possible but it was very rare). Leather seats, alloy rims, but no cameras, no Bose Sound System, and many features missing. Anyways it wasn't meant to be.

I have this option now wich I think it's a very good one. I'm posting all the specs to see if you all agree with me.

Leaf 2015 SL
16330mi
12/12 bars
All SL features (guaranteed)
Some minor scratches in the exterior
Interior in excellent condition

I think this is the one! what do you think? Any advise?

Thanks again!

First, the first car is the opposite of 'custom' - it's a "stripper" or "Base" SL. In 2013 everything was optional, except, IIRC, QC on the SL: backup camera (yes, even on the SL) was optional, and the Bose stereo and Around View were part of the optional "Premium Package." Around View replaced the backup camera when installed.

It's hard to say from here with the second car, except that if the history and battery health check out ok, it does seem very good.

A 2015 with little battery degradation is probably a good choice for you as long as your range needs between charging are modest. The SV and SL have heat pumps which are very beneficial in moderate winter conditions, but you don't have cold weather. It is not likely that you can get the remote access (CarWings or EV Connect) to work there and the navigation maps probably don't cover your region so you will lose some of the benefits of the SV and SL models. Therefore, a 2015 S with charge package (DCQC port and 6 kW onboard charger) would be a good choice. I recommend the 6 kW onboard charger if you have access to 240-volt charging or DCQC stations because it shortens the charging time if you need to charge during the day (assuming adequate 240-volt source). Go ahead and get an SV or SL if you want the features (just remember that the navigation system and remote access will probably not work).

Hi guys! Thanks for all the advice. It really helped me taking my final decision.

Finally I got a 2015 SV with 12 bars and around 20000mi. Think It was a good choice. Although I’ll lose some features, I still have very nice ones.

As I ride it here in the DR I let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Back