Can You Stop Charging Remotely?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ev8309

I have NissanConnect EV v6.3.3 for Android. Can anyone tell me: How to stop charging from NissanConnect EV? There is a Charging Start widget, but no Charging Stop widget. Why not? Am I missing something? Thanks.

This is something that Nissan has never implemented. The only way to stop charging remotely is to use an EVSE (charging station) with either a timer, or a WiFi app that you use entirely apart from Nissan Connect EV.

BTW, would you mind if I change the title of this topic to: "Can You Stop Charging Remotely?" It would be much more useful that way for future site searches.

I use the app mostly to pre-warm the car. What I would like to know is what is the cheapest way to keep doing that after the trial runs out besides doing it myself manually?

LeftieBiker said:
This is something that Nissan has never implemented. The only way to stop charging remotely is to use an EVSE (charging station) with either a timer, or a WiFi app that you use entirely apart from Nissan Connect EV.

BTW, would you mind if I change the title of this topic to: "Can You Stop Charging Remotely?" It would be much more useful that way for future site searches.

Hey Leftie. Is there an App that allows for stopping the charge.

Next question. Right now because of parking I am charging mostly from 120. Angela’s car uses the Juice Box in the garage. The receptacle I use is normally for the Christmas lights. There is a switch that controls that receptacle inside. Any problem using that switch to turn on and off the EVSE?

Thanks.

webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:

Next question. Right now because of parking I am charging mostly from 120. Angela’s car uses the Juice Box in the garage. The receptacle I use is normally for the Christmas lights. There is a switch that controls that receptacle inside. Any problem using that switch to turn on and off the EVSE?

Thanks.

Since Nissan has never implemented remote charging STOP function and 3rd party apps use the Nissan connection, I don't see how it could be done until Nissan implements that capability.

I don't recommend using a regular light switch to control the EVSE because the car draws 12 amperes continuous so the switch would be interrupting that current (switch might be rated for it, but most household lighting circuits are 600 watts or less so 5 amperes or less). The night after I picked up my first Leaf (in June of 2011), I discovered my new level 2 EVSE would not work with my air compressor receptacle (AeroVironment EVSE tests ground integrity with enough current to trip 240-volt GFCI) so I had to charge at 120 volts. I plugged the portable EVSE into a short power tool extension cord in the garage so the unit would not hang from the receptacle by its 12-inch cord. When packing up the portable EVSE the next morning, I unplugged the supply end first without thinking about it and drew a big arc because the car was still charging at the full 12-ampere rate. It would take a high quality switch to interrupt that current on a routine basis.

GerryAZ said:
webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:

Thanks.

Since Nissan has never implemented remote charging STOP function and 3rd party apps use the Nissan connection, I don't see how it could be done until Nissan implements that capability.

I don't recommend using a regular light switch to control the EVSE because the car draws 12 amperes continuous so the switch would be interrupting that current (switch might be rated for it, but most household lighting circuits are 600 watts or less so 5 amperes or less). The night after I picked up my first Leaf (in June of 2011), I discovered my new level 2 EVSE would not work with my air compressor receptacle (AeroVironment EVSE tests ground integrity with enough current to trip 240-volt GFCI) so I had to charge at 120 volts. I plugged the portable EVSE into a short power tool extension cord in the garage so the unit would not hang from the receptacle by its 12-inch cord. When packing up the portable EVSE the next morning, I unplugged the supply end first without thinking about it and drew a big arc because the car was still charging at the full 12-ampere rate. It would take a high quality switch to interrupt that current on a routine basis.

Thank for that insight Gerry. I quite often use the EVSE from the car which has an 8 amp setting so that might be ok. But from the point of view of the car, J1772 protocol etc, is there any reason where it might not be a good idea?

Thanks.

It just looks like a power outage to the car so it SHOULD not hurt anything, but there was a recent thread under problems/troubleshooting that described an issue that started when an EVSE was unplugged so you might want to search for that thread. Is the portable unit for the Smart EV only 8 amperes or do you have an adjustable unit? The Leaf unit is fixed at 12 amperes unless it has been modified.

Edited to add the link:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27869#p548482

GerryAZ said:
It just looks like a power outage to the car so it SHOULD not hurt anything, but there was a recent thread under problems/troubleshooting that described an issue that started when an EVSE was unplugged so you might want to search for that thread. Is the portable unit for the Smart EV only 8 amperes or do you have an adjustable unit? The Leaf unit is fixed at 12 amperes unless it has been modified.

Edited to add the link:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27869#p548482

It is selectable between 8 and 12. You can kinda see the big round black button in this Pic. I like the coil cord as it is easy to just disconnect and put in the cradle. Kinda funny. Most of the charging in the last two years has been done with this EVSE. The Juice box only does about a quarter of our charging between the two EV's.

27330875507_46c048d065_b.jpg

41301813645_780eda30fe_b.jpg

Our poor mostly unused Juicebox. Its a parking thing.

42709901964_0e976d43a9_b.jpg

As Gerry wrote, there is no Stop Charge command in the protocol, so it's unlikely a third party app will appear that allows you to tell the CAR to stop charging. However, there are several EVSEs that can be shut off remotely, and a couple of them will even try to guess the state of charge, based on the SOC you input when you plug in. That's pretty close...

LeftieBiker said:
As Gerry wrote, there is no Stop Charge command in the protocol, so it's unlikely a third party app will appear that allows you to tell the CAR to stop charging. However, there are several EVSEs that can be shut off remotely, and a couple of them will even try to guess the state of charge, based on the SOC you input when you plug in. That's pretty close...

Thanks Leftie. I believe our Juicebox does this. So, if it’s jnitiated by the Juicebox, how does it differ from just cutting the power. Eg, turning of my wall switch feeding my smart car EVSE.

Thanks in advance.

John.

When an EVSE shuts off by command, it "knows" that it will do so. This may mean that things happen a little differently than with a power outage, or I guess it may not. At the very least there is no arcing at a wall outlet.

LeftieBiker said:
When an EVSE shuts off by command, it "knows" that it will do so. This may mean that things happen a little differently than with a power outage, or I guess it may not. At the very least there is no arcing at a wall outlet.

Right. Ok. One more question and I’ll quit bugging you...at least for today.

When the J1772 button on the handle is pushed does it send a signal back to the EVSE to cut the power so there is no arc or does it just physically release from the port so it can be pulled out.

Pressing the J1772 release button tells the onboard charger that it is being unplugged so the charger quickly ramps current down to 0 to eliminate arcing. The EVSE then deenergizes the cable when the pilot signal is lost as the plug is removed. The J1772 plug and receptacle are arranged so the pilot terminal makes contact last when plugging in and breaks contact first when unplugging, I believe EVSEs that allow remote stopping first drop the pilot signal to cause the onboard charger to ramp the current down before opening the contactor.

I like the coiled cord and adjustable current on the Smart EV unit.

GerryAZ said:
Pressing the J1772 release button tells the onboard charger that it is being unplugged so the charger quickly ramps current down to 0 to eliminate arcing. The EVSE then deenergizes the cable when the pilot signal is lost as the plug is removed. The J1772 plug and receptacle are arranged so the pilot terminal makes contact last when plugging in and breaks contact first when unplugging, I believe EVSEs that allow remote stopping first drop the pilot signal to cause the onboard charger to ramp the current down before opening the contactor.

I like the coiled cord and adjustable current on the Smart EV unit.

THank you for the explanation. Re the cable. I have a friend who, after seeing ours, order a cable off the internet and replace his EVSE cable with a spiral cable. His is a 220 volt 16 amp unit. He got it from a Chinese website.

Back