Why $10000 off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soycory

The quick and dirty question is why there are new leafs that are $10000 off in the USA.

I have seen several 2018/2019 Leafs for $10k on cars.com. With the federal discount, that's a lot off... I am searching for a new car for my wife and trying to wrap my head around the economics of discounts and tax breaks compared to ICE cars. I was originally looking at the 2018 accord sport 1.5t but with $10k off that changes the dynamics of my purchase quite a bit.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/752427474/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/732653955/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/739878296/overview/

“NEW 2019 NISSAN LEAF
S Hatchback
MSRP
$32,665
SELLING PRICE
$24,665
o dealer handling fee that?s a $600 savings! All New vehicles, advertised sale prices include all available factory incentives (some of which may require financing with NMAC). Price excludes sales tax, finance charges, cost of emissions test, other governmental fees or taxes, and transportation costs incurred after the sale to deliver the vehicle to the purchaser at the purchaser’s request.”
I bought a 2018 Leaf S from this dealer in Boulder, Co a few months ago. The advertised price reflects a Colorado state rebate and our local power company, Xcel, rebate. It simplified the purchase to finance it with NMAC because I did not have to apply for the rebates. The dealer requested that I make at least four monthly payments of about $250 before paying off the loan. They were nice guys and that is what I plan to do. After my $6000 trade-in and the Federal Tax Credit next year, my total cost will have been about $12000.
I think these cars come with the all weather package, the charging package, and bumper protection like mine has.

When I leased both Leaf's. The discount was only for leases. I truly think Nissan wants the CARB credits.

I couldn’t use the federal tax credit so I went for the lease deal from a dealer in Longmont, CO. $33830 MSRP for an SV. Dealer took $4000 off price, Nissan had a $9500 lease incentive, and CO has a $2500 rebate. Comes to about $20000 with all fees and taxes/ registration. We’ll buy out the lease as soon as we can.

Asalvo said:
I couldn’t use the federal tax credit so I went for the lease deal from a dealer in Longmont, CO. $33830 MSRP for an SV. Dealer took $4000 off price, Nissan had a $9500 lease incentive, and CO has a $2500 rebate. Comes to about $20000 with all fees and taxes/ registration. We’ll buy out the lease as soon as we can.
Nissan can use that tax credit, so it is essentially included in the $9500. That is one of the good things about a Nissan Leaf lease. Nissan passes the full federal tax credit on to you unlike some others such as GM.

Dooglas said:
Asalvo said:
Nissan can use that tax credit, so it is essentially included in the $9500. That is one of the good things about a Nissan Leaf lease. Nissan passes the full federal tax credit on to you unlike some others such as GM.
Compare to a purchase price and you will see that Nissan keeps some of the federal tax credit

SageBrush said:
Dooglas said:
Asalvo said:
Compare to a purchase price and you will see that Nissan keeps some of the federal tax credit

Agreed. I felt it was a good option for us as we wouldn’t be able to use the credit on a purchase. This way we could in a roundabout way.

If you purchase the car, and have enough tax liability, you can use the credit, but you'll have to wait until you file your taxes. It's not an instant credit and doesn't reduce the price you pay the dealer. It reduces the amount of tax you owe the federal government.

If you lease, the leasing company gets the credit and may or may not pass some or all of it back to you in the form of a reduction in the cap cost. So in that sense you "get" the credit instantly.

My understanding of the 10K off the OP showed in the links was that was 10K off the purchase price, not a lease. So in that case you could apply for the tax credit when you file your taxes.

Hi, I bought my 2017 Leaf , A SL vesion for $10 K off the MSRP, Also received the Ny and Fed rebate. I could never afford a high end car with all the bells and whistles, but Thanks to this offer I got heated seats, Bose music, etc.
I believe Nissan did this to move their last 17's, and Now I believe they are doing it again to move cars.

theothertom said:
If you purchase the car, and have enough tax liability, you can use the credit, but you'll have to wait until you file your taxes.
Not so. You can amend your W-4 and reduce your monthly tax withholding

Back