Leaf Spy @ 2013 24kWh - verification request

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majkel

Hi all,
I'm pleased that I found you guys on this forum.

I bought a preowned Leaf 2013 24kWh (probably Visia ;-) just 2 months ago. It was lightly crashed, so I've just started driving it (it's been in body shop for past 2 months).
The seller (professional used cars dealer) tried to hide crash signs at low cost, which was visible afterwards when I was repairing the body. Quite recently I got airbag errors, and also break pedal or ESP. I have good reasons to think that the seller tried to hide also other things like missing airbags or other defects. But to the point:

Is there a good way to check if the airbags are there?
Is there a way to check if odometer was falsified (that's a common practice among sellers here) and that would have explain poor battery state and still 12 bars.
I'm attaching Leaf Spy Pro images and looking for your advice. .

With that SOH the car shouldn't have 12 bars. The BMS was almost certainly reset. You could be looking at an 11, 10 or even 9 bar car. What is the build date on the driver's door sill? 2013 leafs built in the first 3 months of the year use the old battery chemistry, and it is terrible. THAT is what you have to worry about, not the odometer.

LeftieBiker said:
With that SOH the car shouldn't have 12 bars. The BMS was almost certainly reset. You could be looking at an 11, 10 or even 9 bar car. What is the build date on the driver's door sill? 2013 leafs built in the first 3 months of the year use the old battery chemistry, and it is terrible. THAT is what you have to worry about, not the odometer.

Actually I still can have some of my money back since the seller tricked me, that's why I'm worrying about ODO. All in all the car is not that bad, except from maybe poor range on battery ;-)

Can I determine build date by this sticker?

Please post the VIN, and type it carefully. VINs are public record, since you can see them through the windshield. Or put it into this site: http://vehiclehistory.com They are squirrelly about letting you copy the url so I typed it as I rememberd it.

LeftieBiker said:
Please post the VIN, and type it carefully. VINs are public record, since you can see them through the windshield. Or put it into this site: http://vehiclehistory.com They are squirrelly about letting you copy the url so I typed it as I rememberd it.

Thanks. ****

Unfortunatelly vehiclehistory website somehow is not working. Unfortunatelly I haven't found any other sticker in my car (except from the one with Tire pressure.

I can't get it to work either. Oddly, it keeps saying to make sure the VIN is 17 digits, but...it is. It does look wrong for a Leaf VIN, though...

EDIT: I can get partial records on this European VIN by searching it with Google, but no manufacturing date. Do European cars have the VIN stamped on a plate at the base of the windshield? If it's correct you may have to pay for a full report. Sorry.

LeftieBiker said:
I can't get it to work either. Oddly, it keeps saying to make sure the VIN is 17 digits, but...it is. It does look wrong for a Leaf VIN, though...

EDIT: I can get partial records on this European VIN by searching it with Google, but no manufacturing date. Do European cars have the VIN stamped on a plate at the base of the windshield? If it's correct you may have to pay for a full report. Sorry.

Thanks for checking. I'll pay then.
Just wanted to confirm other things.
Like where can I read about the GIDS and SOH values and what do they actually represent in terms of current state?

And as for airbags: The easier way to check if airbags are there would be to manually inspect them, right?

I don't see any particular reason to doubt the 53.6 Ahr reading for a full charge. The 12th capacity bar should be falling off quite soon.
Now, about all those DTCs ... Get a good 12v battery and hope for the best or if you can, return the car.

Like where can I read about the GIDS and SOH values and what do they actually represent in terms of current state?

Look at the LeafSpy topics here. SOH (state of health) correlates fairly well to remaining battery capacity, although it actually seems to measure internal resistance. Hx isn't as useful. It may or may not be an instant value for internal resistance, with SOH possibly being a longer term average. Anyway, the 12th capacity bar "drops" (vanishes) at about 85-84% SOH/85-84% capacity in the 24kwh packs. With yours still showing 12 bars at a SOH of 81%, it would appear the battery management system (BMS) was reset to show 12 bars. It will relearn the capacity, though, and at least one bar will drop. If you only lose one bar then you have a fairly typical Leaf, probably with the newer chemistry. If the SOH and bars keep dropping, you likely have an early build with the worse battery chemistry.

I know nothing about the air bags, I'm afraid.

Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery and try clearing the DTC's. Most of them are typical for a low 12-volt battery. I recommend that you return the car for a refund if any of the error codes fail to clear. The number of QC and L1/L2 charge cycles is way high for the odometer reading--this could be due to previous drivers topping off the battery after driving only short distances. Deep-cycling the battery may improve the accuracy of the LEAF Spy readings and could result in loss of one or more capacity bars as the BMS learns the true battery capacity. It is possible, but not likely that the AHr, SOH, and Hx numbers could improve after deep-cycling the battery.

It should be noted that comments here about manufacture date and battery chemistry apply to USA Leafs and may not be valid for Leafs made in Japan or the UK.

It should be noted that comments here about manufacture date and battery chemistry apply to USA Leafs and may not be valid for Leafs made in Japan or the UK.

Good point. It keeps slipping my mind that this is a European Leaf.

Thanks you guys for looking into this guy.
Yes, it is european one, manufactured date: 16th April 2013.
I alredy made almost 1k km with it and the 12th bar is still here ;-) I'm wondering if it shouldn't drop already if it was fake 12th bar.

I can confirm that it had dead 12v battery for some time, so those errors might result from this. I tried clearing the DTC's with Leaf Spy Pro app several times, with no result yet. Will read how to properly do it (in Leaf Spy Pro manual) and will try again.

Yes, most probably it has made this number of QC and L1/L2 charge, because this guy drove as a Taxi for past 2-3 years. But I remember reading somewhere about DC charging having a good influence on battery life for 24kwh Leafs. Maybe that is still valid statement?

Also, this is one of the reasons why I doubt it has only that much on odometer. It should have like 20-30k km more, but I don't have how to prove it .

Back