New owner 15 leaf s, leaf spy data, is it good to buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyle1511

Hi,
This is my first ev car and i bought it at 11500$
29k miles nissan leaf S with QC optioned and 6.6kw on board.
The first owner was in TEXAS and now Im in FL.
First thing i did was charge at 100% overnight at 110v and plug in the leaf spy.

Could somebody help me if the battery is ok and should i keep the car? I have 7 days window to return the car without any hassle.

Thanks

Picture:
Im using leaf spy lite.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrYEGjWk11qAKLy98

That battery is about as degraded as we see with the 2015 version of the pack, outside of Arizona. It has about 10.5 bars. I'd look for a better one when range becomes an issue.

jimmyle1511 said:
I commute about 45 miles a day. Should be enough? The bar on my dash is still at 12 bars.

It shouldn't be reading 12 bars. I suspect that the battery management system (BMS) was reset to falsely show 12 bars. You will likely drop to 11 bars soon. That should be fine for a 45 mile commute in Florida, and the '15 battery is the least likely to degrade rapidly in the heat. Still, you may be looking at range issues in a few years, so try to avoid letting it sit at 100% charge in the heat.

LeftieBiker said:
jimmyle1511 said:
I commute about 45 miles a day. Should be enough? The bar on my dash is still at 12 bars.

It shouldn't be reading 12 bars. I suspect that the battery management system (BMS) was reset to falsely show 12 bars. You will likely drop to 11 bars soon. That should be fine for a 45 mile commute in Florida, and the '15 battery is the least likely to degrade rapidly in the heat. Still, you may be looking at range issues in a few years, so try to avoid letting it sit at 100% charge in the heat.

How common is it for the BMS to be reset? I am in similar circumstances (2015 Leaf S, 40K miles) shows 12 bars.....

You cant assume that if the car still has 12 bars it has been altered... I have a 15 and it still has 12 bars. The original post should not have 12 bars because the leafspy statistics are low...

How common is it for the BMS to be reset? I am in similar circumstances (2015 Leaf S, 40K miles) shows 12 bars.....

Not really common, but just common enough to be a concern. It isn't the odometer mileage that suggested a reset, but the SOH figure in the LeafSpy stats - it's too low for 12 bars.

Back