What I learned today...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBillsfan

While listening to the local sports am station (550am in Buffalo) , I pulled in to quick charge. Once charging started, all I get over the am radio is anything but a signal , just a lot of noise.

Yeah even overhead power lines are enough to mess up AM radio. So not surprising that DCFC will do so as well.

Supposedly the reason the i3 and the Model 3 (not sure about other Teslas) don’t have AM radios is because the motors they use cause too much interference with AM signals.

My old B generated a lot of interference on the AM band. By default the station was open and you could here the molter clearly. My new B has a station selected by default but I would guess it has the same issue. Both cars are Tesla powered. Switching supplies generate a lot of low frequency interference and an EV is mostly a switching supply.

yeah a shame as being a Radio Amateur I even use a switching power supply what is dead quiet (no noise on the bands)
it's just money as the EV's can be quiet too with the right filtering but costing more in electronic parts...

tesleaf said:
What I learned today is.... going 70 mph drains the battery fast.

Yes. The Leaf isn't nearly as slippery as it looks, especially in the wheel well areas. 62MPH indicated (60 actual) is a good compromise speed.

LeftieBiker said:
tesleaf said:

Yes. The Leaf isn't nearly as slippery as it looks, especially in the wheel well areas. 62MPH indicated (60 actual) is a good compromise speed.

I will have to get in the habit of staying in the right lane on the freeway.
I have been in the faster peloton of cars but that will have to change..

LeftieBiker said:
tesleaf said:

Quite a a while ago there was a post by an amateur that killed the noise and was successful running a low band station. For me I have no interest in the DC bands. The car is quiet an 2M and 440.

I was driving in ECO mode on the freeway today.
And when I was about 1/2 mile from my exit, I turned off the ECO mode and stepped on it.
It is a rather steep uphill and my Leaf felt very torquey and had no problem accelerating from 60 to 70 mph.

I just realized even when I step on it hard, there is zero smoke coming out so the drivers behind me must be enjoying the clean air. :D

tesleaf said:
I was driving in ECO mode on the freeway today.
And when I was about 1/2 mile from my exit, I turned off the ECO mode and stepped on it.
It is a rather steep uphill and my Leaf felt very torquey and had no problem accelerating from 60 to 70 mph.

I just realized even when I step on it hard, there is zero smoke coming out so the drivers behind me must be enjoying the clean air. :D

No need to turn off Eco mode. You still get full power when you floor it in Eco.

Back