First Leaf - Next Steps?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadrake

Hi all,

I will be taking possession of a 2013 SV with Premium package shortly.

What I was wondering is - what's next? What should I look to check, sort out, tweak etc., to get my new (to me) car running smoothly and reliably? Any tips from the pros?

Thanks,

Adam

So, 43 reads and no replies! Let me ask some specifics instead:

1) Can I play music via BT from my phone through the car system? I had a brief look at the controls and, although I could connect via BT for phone controls, I couldn't see any way of playing music, but may have just not looked hard enough.

2) Any tips/tricks for driving? What should I monitor on the displays to ensure I'm driving most efficiently?

3) Is there any way to update the maps without going through Nissan? It sounds like the navigation system isn't wonderful anyway, but I was just wondering.

4) Anything I need to know about tyre pressures? Are they monitored by the car? What should they be set to for optimum driving?

As always, thanks so much for your opinions and experiences!

Adam

1) Yes
2) ignore the stupid GOM ("distance to empty" number) on the right. It sucks. Use the % SoC display on the center dash display. If you care, reset your miles per kWh or km per kWh display and trip odometer after you charge to full or 80%.
3) Not that I know of.
4) The pressures suggested by the door sticker many (including myself) feel are too low. Yes, in the US they're monitored by the car, since it's mandated. Can't speak to your car.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297

This will help you with driving. The reason there are so many reads and so few replies is that there are too many posts like this one, about the same thing covered in existing topics. The site search sucks, though, so we aren't angry. Hopefully someone else will post a link to the 'just got my Leaf' topic(s).

Ha ha! Fair point.

I have tried the search multiple times, and just got nowhere with it, but didn't want to post a negative "I've tried searching and can't find anything" post, as everyone has been so helpful so I thought I'd make the most of my newbie status for a few more topics before the honeymoon is over and people rebuke me for not performing due diligence!

You need to have the car's telematics unit (TCU) "upgraded" to a 3G unit to use it, and that can be problematic. How do you feel about having to pull a fuse every few weeks to reset the new TCU? It's handy to be able to start the climate control remotely, but there is a real question of "Is it worth it?" here...

LeftieBiker said:
You need to have the car's telematics unit (TCU) "upgraded" to a 3G unit to use it, and that can be problematic. How do you feel about having to pull a fuse every few weeks to reset the new TCU? It's handy to be able to start the climate control remotely, but there is a real question of "Is it worth it?" here...

The TCU upgrade (according to the local Nissan dealer's service department) was pulled a few months ago, and there is a service procedure to fix the upgraded TCU to stop the lockup problem. I've had it for a month now... In six months I'll report on how it works.

Climate control remote start is close to a necessary feature, not for me personally, but for disabled frequent passenger.

Back