New 2018 Leaf-S owner gripe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

Why in the world do "reviewers" post articles that discuss driving the Leaf 300 miles or more, stopping for snacks while it charges, worrying about getting to their destination before running out of battery charge, etc. I didn't buy my new Leaf to go from my home in Colorado to Texas and back. I bought it as the second car that is driven 90% of the time and less than 50 miles 90% of the time. My wife drives it much more than I do. Now, a friendly neighbor with an old Leaf told my wife not to charge it above 85%. Good grief, that sounds like the endless discussions of charging PC laptop batteries that started when they first hit the market. We plug it in at 40 miles range (1/4 tank) and wait until the lights go out. I am not going to worry about the battery unless it is Nissian's official position not to charge over 85%. I had a 220/240V outlet installed in our garage when the house was built and the Leaf charger is mounted on the wall next to that outlet. I would post picture if I could figure out how Img works...it certainly isn't obvious.

Welcome to your new Leaf. I have mine for 4 years and 50K+ miles and am still in love with the car. You are completely right about reviews going out of their way to point out the limitations of EVs, as if they are negatives, and deal killers. I also have seen clowns "torture testing" cars and drive the car until it is completely discharged and dies. That proves nothing but their ignorance. Your car is the best so far, so good luck in the future.

kinda depends on how long you plan on keeping it doesn't it? if it's less than 5 years, then by all means do whatever you want, as the battery warranty will cover you regardless of any life-shortening measures you take.

but if you want to keep it until well after the warranty has expired, then your neighbor's advice is sound (along with other tips on managing its temperature). so, it all depends.

Back