Question about miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBillsfan

I am about to get a new 2018 Nissan Leaf SL on Saturday at the latest. The problem I have is that it's on the other side of new york state, in queens.The dealership told me they have someone drive it from there to Buffalo which means that my car will have 400+ miles on it. Is this normal practice????

3. Let them drive it to you, with the written agreement that it has to be delivered in perfect condition. Mine was driven here from Connecticut, if I remember correctly.

Assuming you have a 36 month lease, that's $612 to flatbed it about 400 miles. Off the cuff, that seems reasonable enough if you're happy with it.

FWIW, when I bought my Bolt, the dealer drove it from NJ to Syracuse. It had about 200 miles on it. That's easy to do with a fully charged Bolt. 400 miles in a 151-mile Leaf would give the dealer a run for their money, just trying to make the trip!

So what I've learned from this is not to wait so long in getting a year end model if you want a specific order. I was lucky to find what I wanted but by then inventory was hard to come by and now the car I want needs to be flatbedded. How hard is it to learn the leaf? I've never seen one in person and I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning. I hope someone takes me on a ride first.I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.I hope all of the youtube videos I've watched are enough.

For all of its new technology, the Leaf is still a car. The hardest part to learn will be the gear selector, but even that will be easy enough. Just drive it and enjoy it! You can learn the technology as you go.

I test drove one then bought a different car about 12 months later with no test drive. The dealer just handed me the keys and said 'bye'....after a few seconds of panic I went into 'rental car mode' to figure out where the controls were until I got it moving. After that, everything was fine.

On my 2017....once it's started and in gear you will have no trouble. To start, just put your foot on the brake and push the button. About the same as any modern car without a regular key.

The gear selector operates by being pulled sideways towards you and push forward for reverse or over and pull back for drive. The parking brake (2017) is push on, push off. Turn signals, wipers, lights, brakes, accelerator are all normal.

I'd ignore the dash displays until you get the hang of driving. There's a lot to learn there and nothing on the dash is required for normal operation as long as you have enough charge to get safely home. The climate control also has a small learning curve but you will figure that out quickly.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. The first trip in an EV can be really exciting.

BuffaloBillsfan said:
Just got off the phone. Agreed to flat bed the car but it adds $17 a month to my payments. no miles at least on the car
Honestly, the 400 miles mean nothing. I can't see adding to your payment to avoid that.

Flat bedding is the best. You have no idea how some minimum wage fool drives the car.

I live near Queens.... I would have driven it for less.... LOL

BuffaloBillsfan said:
So what I've learned from this is not to wait so long in getting a year end model if you want a specific order. I was lucky to find what I wanted but by then inventory was hard to come by and now the car I want needs to be flatbedded. How hard is it to learn the leaf?
I was in a similar situation when I got mine back in September. I was lucky that they had the trim and color that I wanted. It all worked out.

As mentioned, it's a car, so driving it is not a problem. The learning factor comes in if you want to drive in B mode or using the e-Pedal. I've been driving with the e-Pedal and learned it quickly. B mode is easier to learn, since it doesn't slow the car as aggressively as e-Pedal.

You'll get used to charging it too. Like any car, you learn the ins-and-outs of it over time.

The gear selector operates by being pulled sideways towards you and push forward for reverse or over and pull back for drive.

During my test drive, I was either incorrectly instructed or misunderstood about the gear selector (visually and functionally, a very cool feature of the Leaf, to me). I thought one was supposed to press down on the button for every shift. Not true. Although I pored over the manuals for weeks after I'd leased the car, it took me a while to happen upon the part about the gear selector, probably because I figured I knew what I needed to about that. No damage done to the electric motor, one hopes. But the button-pressing is easy to slip into, because a release button on a shift lever is such a common feature in other cars. I still have to watch it.

Back to the original question, "Is this normal". Answer, yes for an ICE car. I've purchased a couple of cars from a local dealer who had to get them from a sister dealer several hundred miles away. When I picked up the cars, they had several hundred miles on them.
Now, my guess is your dealer "overlooked" the fact that the Leaf is an EV and driving it 400 miles would require several charges. My guess is also that the car porter wouldn't know how to find a charger, or use one. So you helped him out when you agreed to flat bed it.

In hindsight, I wish I would've done things differently, which is why I loathe haggling. I suck at it. I can almost say I hate haggling more than I hate tomatoes. I dred the next time I have to go through this.

Back